This Old House

Fiddler

Treehouser
Thought I'd start this to share how I am coming along on the old home place.

At present, i have the electric re-done except for a couple rooms and plumbing done minus the bath vanity. As soon as I finish the bathroom and two other rooms I will move into that side of the house and start on two more rooms.

Here are a few pics of the rooms I'm renovating right now.
finishing up drywall in the bath, and the other room will get torn down to the framing and started over.
DSCF0006.jpg DSCF0005.jpg DSCF0004.jpg DSCF0003.jpg DSCF0001.jpg

Dave, based on the exterior that you showed, the house would seem to have great potential. Alas, I'm too far away to offer any help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, going to take a while for sure. Vanity and cupboards for bath are here already. 20yd dumpster coming in later this week.

every exterior wall on the original house has 1 x 19 1/2" pine lining the entire inside; real pain for running electriric but a nail will stick anywhere...

I get anxiety when I see stuff like that right now. Holy moly, never do that again! Build a house or buy one done.

It sure if nice though in the end, when you look around and say wow, I did all that. I gotta bump my thread too.

Keep at it!

I'm in the middle of one of those project too. Luckily, mine is just 848 square feet.

It always looks worse before it begins to go back together. :)

Just got a price for filling the walls with insulation. (walls currently have ZERO insulation in them)

$1.25 per square foot to drill 1.25 inch hole between studs, fill wall, patch hole.

$1270 to do the whole house.

Is $1.25 in the ballpark?

I don't know Sooner. I've never insulated that way. My place doesn't have firestops in the walls or plates between the floors, so I can actually fill a wall all the way to the bottom plate of the first story from the second story attic.

When I tear a room out to remodel it, as I'm doing now, I use fiberglass insul like in the pics, I like it much better than foam or blown-in.

thought I'd throw up a status update on the place.

Sheetrock is nearly done except building a small bulkhead and some sanding. My finishing skills have officially reverted to novice: way more sanding required than there should be from over generous application of joint compound.:|: Been about 15 years since I drywalled anything and it really shows.

New tub & surround are in

007.jpg

New windows all in and almost ready for paint

009.jpg

That is going to be a sweet place, Dave. The pics that you posted before, gave a sense of it being in a peaceful location too.

Jay, the expressway runs just in back of our property and they have lengthened our road and changed the zoning to industrial/commercial. Mine is the last house (only four left on our street) before "pole barn city".

We used to have a dirt road that wasn't used by any but us that lived here. Now trucks are running it all day long. What used to be all woods is now all commercial/light industrial businesses. Not quite as peaceful as it used to be.

I often think of just selling and moving onto a wooded property where I can't see the road from the house, but it's not in the cards at this time because of the way the township has de-valued my property. I can't sell it as residential and commercial property is going to be going down I think when all the leases come due that were signed before the economy took a dump. I believe many companies will be hunting cheaper rates when their lease comes up for re-signing.

Man, I hate that where you have a nice peaceful place for a long time, then it gets built up and you lost the tranquility. I have experienced a lot of that. Dark outside at night is the best, imo. Unfortunately, the powers that be don't much seem to want to take that into consideration when development enters the picture, how people have lived for a long time. The needs for more people and movement and noise, always seem to always win out. One reason I would like to have lived a hundred years ago.

Finally finished with the drywall in two rooms. Got done applying primer around midnight last night.8)

Looking forward to seeing it all painted in a couple days. Still have to hang cabinets, do a bit of plumbing, and hook up a couple electric outlets, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on these two rooms now. :D

Painting is all done and cabinets are in the Bath.

New Cabinets.jpg

New Cabinets 2.jpg

It sure is nice having a sink & cabinets in the bathroom again...been too long without and there never was near this much storage before.:)

Back