Thinking of getting a new 18" chipper, opinions wanted

cory

Tree House enthusiast
My first chipper was a bandit model 100, eons ago, it was good. Next was a morbark model 17 with the single top feed wheel. Real good chipper. Now I have a Morbark Hurricaine 18" chipper with top and bottom feed wheels and huge indeed tray dimensions which is good for feeding large bushy brush piles. 140 hp. Good chipper, good on fuel.

Now I want to update. Morbark now offers two 18 "models- 1 under 10k lbs with a single top feed wheel and built a bit lighter to keep it under the 10k, and 1 a little over 10k lbs (so a CDL is needed) with dual feed wheels.

Bandit offers the 1590 18" chipper which is under 10k lbs and which I have heard good things about.

I'd love to hear what y'all have to offer.

Thanks, in advance.

One of my competitors, a good friend, just bought the 1590 when his bandit 250 ate a head gasket. I think it has a 175 JD power plant. That thing is a tree and brush eating monster. However, it sits more than it runs since he got the 250 back. Apparently it doesn't quite sip fuel. Somewhere in the ballpark of 50gal/day. It's a real nice machine, but...

I have not heard anything good about the single feedwheel morbark you mentioned Cory. From what I heard, the machine sacrifices a lot to meet the weight requirement.

50 gal a day? Really? I run a 120 jd all week on 20 gal! Maybe he one of those guys who likes a screaming chipper all day? I told cory via text what i think about bandits. My 1290h 15" will eat anything up to 15" hard or soft. Tank like, brush crusher, chip tosser.

Really. Granted he was clearing for a road that week. 350 yds in two days. It probably was screaming.
I've been looking for a nice 1290 since you got yours B.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have not heard anything good about the single feedwheel morbark you mentioned Cory. From what I heard, the machine sacrifices a lot to meet the weight requirement.

Its interesting they went back to a single feed wheel. My 17 was great but somehow I think 2 feed wheels is going to give you more feeding power. What chipper do you have FJR?

Yes, the 1590 only has a 40 gal tank so there musta been a lot of chipping going on. Like 16 truckloads of chips in 2 days, based on a 20cubic yard truck.

My 1290h 15" will eat anything up to 15" hard or soft. Tank like, brush crusher, chip tosser.

Well that is a pretty solid endorsement….

The CDL requirement sure would give me pause...

Definetly. Although some folks claim that the new law says that the truck and chipper combination together if it weighs more than 26k, you need a cdl. Not sure I believe that though.

Corey, we bought a brand new 1590xp back in October with a 213hp cat and it's ridiculous what this thing can eat. Brush or wood it doesn't matter. The only thing it will struggle with is a big spruce top or cedar trees with a ton of brush. It's rated at 18" but it will take a little bigger soft wood. I have some videos of it chipping if you ever want to see them.

Its interesting they went back to a single feed wheel. My 17 was great but somehow I think 2 feed wheels is going to give you more feeding power. What chipper do you have FJR?

I have the 18r with a 140JD, it's not too bad on fuel. The model 18rx is the single feed wheel model that is a few thousand pounds lighter.

In Illinois a chipper is considered "special equipment" and doesn't need to be plated, and it is not considered part of the gvcwr. If we are to get scaled the chipper is unhooked.

Wow Fred that is nice. I believe, like Corey said, it is combo weight over 26,000. I'm just squeaking by.

That's good stuff, McCauley. By all means post the vids if it isn't too much trouble

Fred do you like your 18''? You are lucky about that law. CT is rule-happy.

I wanna chip more big stuff, I always babied mine, now I think that is unnecessary. Faster to chip more.

They are pretty slack around here for tree guys. They have plenty enough to deal with the 18 wheelers...

God bless the south!

Definetly. Although some folks claim that the new law says that the truck and chipper combination together if it weighs more than 26k, you need a cdl. Not sure I believe that though.

26,001 and over is CDL . Here in Wisco. Wether combined or single. " It doesn't matter I can ticket which ever one I want, actual weight or combined, to get the fines I want to give you" as per a conversation I had with a DOT officer.

If it even looks suspect here in Mariposa, They will pull you over and bring in portable scales.
We have the largest amount of law enforcement per capita in the state. The CHPs love to generate revenue

The next chipper I want is a 1590. Right now, Ginger, the bc1400 is still running strong but for how long?

Back