The worst stumps you've ever seen.

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 5K
Here's a sweet little number...:O

One of our "Forest visitors" who desired a little illegal firewood harvest. It hung up, along side and slightly overhanging one of the roads I manage.

I cleared it with a pull rope placed by throwline and the winch on my truck.

Cleaning up this sort of foolishness can get nerve-wracking at times.:whine:

Attachments

• face cut.jpg
    face cut.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 23
I wonder which cut they started first?

First the sorta horizontal cut from the left side, forming the base of the face. Then the sloping cut, conventional face cut style, again from the left, leaving huge dutchman. Last, sloping back cut oh so cleverly planned to keep it from going over with the lean, opposite the desired lay...which of course it went ahead and did anyway, right after he cut through all the holding wood.
:|:

This is one from the neighbors across the street.. Find a lot like this around here.... It ain't as ugly as some of the ones you guys posted, but scary none the less. This bull pine snag was just plain ready and brittle... I offered to help but:roll:

He needed a few more inches of bar so he could completely cut off the holding wood.:roll:

Funny but not funny Burnam...:|:

Here is one of 3 on our property that I just adore.. They are before we took over the property BTW. So here is number one. Boot shot is for size. Figure a foot as I am a size 8. I really appreciate the dish out effect :lol:

Attachments

• P1010212.JPG
    P1010212.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010213.JPG
    P1010213.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010214.JPG
    P1010214.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 21
I'd have to ALAP that if it was on my place, possibly in a subterranean fashion with the backhoe.:/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had to add this one in here, under the heading of "Worst stump by a Pro Faller." Apparently it took four chains to cut this up enough to get it down due rocks throughout the wood. The lowest edge of the undercut is about 6' below the backcut. Not a great location at any rate.

Attachments

• IMG_2966sm.jpg
    IMG_2966sm.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 21
Dang..... One of those.... Um If I could just cut this from about 15 feet up the tree ...... Kinda deals.. Man I hate rocks. Always feel unsafe in them too... Not many escape routes .

No pictures to show but the worst stump I've seen was about 5' across & 4' out of the ground. Its root flairs were lifting up many of the patio bricks on one side & cracking the cement pad on the other.

Worst part about the whole thing was it was covered in Poison Ivy! :O

The customer wanted the stump out but didn't want me to disturb his cement or brick pad or I would be responsible for the damage.

There was no access for a proper size grinder other that a vermeer 252 or similar size unit...maybe. And this guy was becomming more dificult with more stipulations and wanting it in writting that he wasn't gonna pay me until HE was satisfied with the job.

Before the guy went any further, I told him that the best way for him to deal with his stump was to:

-Hit the poison ivy with round-up to kill it,
-then burn it off the stump after its dryed up to get rid of it,
-get a good chainsaw & have half a dozen extra chains handy,
-cut it out in sections, (cube it),
-dispose of it as he sees fit,
-(I go on & on about what he can do about the bricks & cement work, and how to deal with the remainder of the stump in the ground...etc, etc).

The customer tells me that, 'you could not pay him enough money to do all that work by myself'! I said to him thats something that we can both agree upon and that I felt the same way.

This is the part where I turned & walked away, leaving him with a dumbfounded(sp?) look on his face!

BTW, the stump & ivy are still there and its been over 5 years since my visit with this customer, go figure.

HC

Back