The Screw-Gate 'Biner

I found an old picture of the Positron in comparison to a Petzl Attache`. They look about the same size but the Positron is about half the bulk.

Butch. No..but the Black Diamond Mini Pearabiner might....of course that is not a very good aplication for a screwgate 'biner.

BTW, Teresa asked what uses for screwgates are. Besides the obvious acceptable uses as rigging attachements and my scandalous use for secondary tie ins I also use a screwgate habitually for one "special" application. When I ascend SRT I often secure my ascent line in a way that would permit remote rescue if I were still on that line and leave the line in the tree during my work where it could serve as an access line for other personell. To do so I sling the base of the tree and clip in a figure 8 with the ascentl ine locked off on the eight. My choice of biner is a screwgate. Whether or not such use would be considered "kosher" by anyone's reading of ANSI Z133 is totally irrelevant to me. If I ever need rescued(God forbid) odds are that it will be by the local fire dept. or a rock climber. The SAR folks are familiar with eights and screwgates and any arrangement that might add confusion for them for even a few seconds would be silly IMO.

Back