The saws of work.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
Steve asked, and rather than screwing up the other thread, I will post them here. Ask and I will answer as best I can!!!!
First, the two we are moving and setting up. The biggest will cut material 8" thick 12' long and 14' wide. It is the one geting the most modifications. There is a new metal rollered table that will allow them to load material from the rear of the machine. I guess we get to move the small saw AGAIN in about six months to do the same modification!!!
Anyway, the small one all is the same, but it is only 7' wide.

Attachments

• saw1.jpg
    saw1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 114
  • saw2.jpg
    saw2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 112
  • saw3.jpg
    saw3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 113
  • saw4.jpg
    saw4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Austrian buddy and a view in the control panel.

Attachments

• sawcontrol.jpg
    sawcontrol.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 110
The APM e-mailed this one to me, not a crapy cell phone pic, and you can make out some of the other saws around as well.
This is a Metlsaw, the others are the Schellings, and it is 14' across as well.

Attachments

• Copy_of_IMG_1307.jpg
    Copy_of_IMG_1307.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 18
I think Butch was implying that some of us have no frikkin clue what we're looking at. Some sort of funky huge table thing. Where's the part that does the cutting?

Think table saw, but the blade moves across. The last pic is a good one to look at for this.
The yellow thing at the back of the table is the "backgauge" or "feeder". It positions the material for lenngth. The blade comes up from the bottom and cuts left to right.
The three little tables on the back are for loading the plate, the ones on the front are for the cut pieces to be picked up with a forklift.
Also, on the left if you look in the racks, that is all plate Alum., I was hoping to get some warehouse pics today, but no time.
Does that help any?

These guys need some action shots.

Were I used to work we would just shear everything that was less than a couple inches thick, but when you put that air in the middle it makes it tough to shear. ;)

Fred

Aluminum is all we deal with now Frans. They are talking about wanting to start cutting Titanium, I really hope not!!

Action shots won't show anymore!! Thats the thing, there are so many covers on these things!!!!
Basicly the material gets loaded, it is brought to the length it needs tobe cut at by the feeder, all of these clamps and covers come down, the blade goes across cutting it and making lots of noise. Think of a 36" circular saw blade with 32-78 teeth on it. Then goes back, the clamps an covers come up, the feeder pushes everything foreward to the next cut, and it goes on all day.
I'll see if I can get some videos one day when all the big wigs are gone;)

Airplanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all we do!!! We supply ALL of the Alum. to Boeing/Spirit!!! I have got to get some warehouse pics!!!
At any time, we have now 32 MILLION pounds sitting!!! We average running 5 MILLION pounds through the doors a MONTH!!!
Boeing calls, "We need this type of material, these dimensions, and this many of them." We then either ship it to them, or one of the vendors or machine shops where it is machined, cut pollished, rolled, form died, whatever.
All we are is a big ass warehouse with cut to size capabilities.
I have yet to take one person on a tour, and most of these people work for other branches, that has not said "WOW!!!! I can't believe there is this much material here!!!"
It's that big!!!!

From what I gather by this conversation is that Andy works in basically a "specialty" metal house,for want of better words.

There are a few scattered hither and yon that take rough stock and cut or burn it to specific sizes or shapes for further use by others.

For example a "T" iron is an I beam that has been cut in two by a torch and straightened in a press.It doesn't come out of the rolling mill in that specific shape.

These specialty shops are kind of the middle men or value added portion of the metal industry,which is vast.

About what size is the raw material and about what size pieces do you cut it into and what is done to the metal after you do the sawing? Do these pieces become structural support or sheet metal or both?

They've a cool saw set up for corian sheet. The conveyor doesn't stop so the saws can cut, the saws slide down alongside the the conveyor and cut while they're doing it. 6 saws on each line, and I think two of them cut at a time. There's no photography at the DuPont Corian Plant I work at, so I'm afraid no pics.
This is some cool stuff here! http://www.flowcorp.com/waterjet-resources.cfm?id=335

You are kind of close Al, it's a weired relationship!!! 99.8% of the material is owned by Boeing/Spirit. This now comes dow to "just in time delevery"! We store it, until they need it.
Steve, we don't shape anything!!! But we have EVERYTHING!!! Confused yet?
We have a Warehouse that deals with nothing but extrusion. It comes in shaped already. We get an order of "x" material in 20" lengths and they want 30 of them. We pull the stock and cut them 30 arts 20" long, and restock the rest. We may get an order that we just have to cut two inches off what we have in stock. We may get an order (more often than not) that all we have to do is package 10 pieces of "x" material and ship it to "C" vendor and they will deal with it.
We have another warehouse that just deals with sheet. Sheet is determined as less than .250".
Same deal, we may get a pallet with 200 sheets, they only want 10 right now, we seperate 10, ship them out and stock the rest. We may get an order for 30 cut peices of this thikness, in this spec. with this hardness in this size. We cut it, then stock the rest.
Same with the plate, .250" to 8". Boeing's machine shop might need material of this thickness and this series in this size. We cut it and ship it to them, then restock the rest. We may ship the whole plate to a vendor of Boeing, and they cut it and machine it there.
Seriously, we don't do squat other than cut or shear material. And our main staple is storage!!!
It's really weired!!!

Yeah!!! Tell me about it!!! Like I said, I need pics of the warehouses!!! The Extrusion building is probably 200'x100', with racks covering 70% of the building, these racks are 30' high!!!!
We have an area in the building I work out of, probably 140'x120' that all we do is store obsolete material!!! Yep, probably won't need it, but we have to hand on to it for ten years!!!
And they must pay, well, DEARLY for this service!!!!!!

The way the tax structures are these days business gets really confusing.You can't tell the players without a score card,so to speak.

It gets so confusing that the material could be bought and sold a dozen times and never be moved off site.Just another way they slice the pie.

Ford Motor for example at one time bought tens of thousands of 8 foot high output florescent tubes directly through G E. Graybar electric got a slice of the pie by warehousing them all accross the country .

It's the weekend... I hardly even turn on the computer over the weekends anymore.

Busy, busy, busy...

Kids, girlfriend, kids sports, Hot rod, saws, lots of stuff goin' on right now.:)

Gary

Back