The portable chainsaw and trimmer stand

I switch too .It takes a little to file lefty but it can be learned .

I've only been doing it that way maybe 4-5 years .Before I did all the rights then lefts .It cut okay but invariably I'd file one side shorter .It didn't cut in a circle or anything just looked wierd .

I've seen people file like Willard but never figured out how they did it .

I learned to file saws as a firefighter out in the field, filing it on my lap is the preferred way unless the powerhead is just too hot. I own a stump vise and given an hour or so, I could probably find it. I fire we played around with back filing, from the point in. It gets the saw super sharp but kills files quickly and makes a horrible sound. I was recently sent up a dull 440 by my groundie. I do not like their sharpening skills yet. Instead of coming down(too lazy) I sharpened the saw in the tree. Anyone else tried that foolishness?

You guy's should try vertical filing, it is much easier to hold angles and the wile work back instead of down.
My boss help me show this:
file.php

This is were I file all chains in the shop:
file.php

I have grinders, but it takes as long and you never get it better than new....

Instead of coming down(too lazy) I sharpened the saw in the tree. Anyone else tried that foolishness?

I've done it once. I was blocking down a spar and hit something, (can't remember what), and as I had already spent a considerable while up the tree, had my help throw me a file so's I could finish without having to come down. I did have a nice flat work surface at about waist height to sharpen it on. I don't plan to do it again......:|:

Ernie,the guy that was involved in the bucket truck boom failure a few years back files vertical . He filed some sharp chains, I'll give him that .

I file chisel bit chain with a goofy file with the bar vertical,file going against working corner of tooth, thats the best way to see the angles and cutting edges. But round file I do it horizontal on my lap is what I prefer.

Willard.

The only square I do is race chain and that takes hours .What a pain in the azz not to mention stiff fingers .

Nothing but my butterfingers, Butch...
As there is no preassure ot forces there is nothing to hold against.
If you have dull files, push hard or so it is different, but that takes more effort, longer time and cost more files.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to have to try this vertical filing. Pretty clever idea Magnus with the cut bar and vise. Might give that a try also. The internet a wonderful place to get new ideas.

When a chainsaw operator can comfortably touch up his or hers sawchain at the stump, life is so much easier and enjoyable. Save the heavy rocked out chains for the vise in the garage.
As I show you in my photos:
_sit down, relax and get a good grip on your saw and file handle.Only my right arm is working and only it needs to be trained for the best precision filing strokes.

_you can see I have a good view of the cutters from both positions. I have sharpened my Stihl 090 with a 60" b/c this way also. No energy is spent supporting the saw.

_Always use a file in good shape. I have used up to 2 new files on a rocked out 20" chain. For quick touch ups a new file will last along time.

_First off tighten up the chain snugly to help avoid movement of the cutters.

_In the 2nd photo as I'm filing the right hand cutters it takes a little more down pressure on the file to keep from making a "lazy backslope" on the cutter. But be careful not to slip the file out of the gullet and cut your knuckle on the left hand cutter directly behind it. Even thick leather gloves won't protect that index finger knuckle.[ a dull file will easily do this]. ALWAYS FILE THE RIGHT HAND CUTTERS FIRST, to help avoid a dangerous slip on to a sharpened left hand cutter.

_While filing the right hand cutters in this 2nd photo position its easy to file a blunter top plate angle from what you can do on the left hand cutters.

_ While filing the left hand cutters as the first photo shows be careful not to put too much down pressure on the file as its easy to do in this position. Also don't put too much top plate angle in as its also easy to do.

It takes practice plus building up your filing arm with grip strength and endurance. I have filed a badly rocked out 24" chain with 1/3 of the cutters gone with 2 new files and be done in under 20 minutes flat with this technique. In this relaxed position only energy is spent on my right arm and grip strength.

Give this a try and you will thank me later.

Willard.:)

Attachments

• SDC11959.jpg
    SDC11959.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
  • SDC11960.jpg
    SDC11960.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
Off topic... What do you think of those gloves your wearing Willard? I have used them for the last few years in the cold and I have really really liked them.

Off topic... What do you think of those gloves your wearing Willard? I have used them for the last few years in the cold and I have really really liked them.
I like them alot too. They are comfortable to about -4 F [-20 C]. Any colder then that I get out the 1 finger leather mitts with wool liners.
These gloves are called Ansell PowerFlex T [T as in thermal]. I have used them for years along with the Atlas Thermals and find these Ansells are the best for durability and warmth. In my avator picture to the left I wear the Ansell PowerFlex grey/blue in summer.

Willard.

Give this a try and you will thank me later.

Willard.:)
I have done this, sitting, standing, in stump vice, You name it, I think I tried everything...
How much would you pay to not have the power head there?
Imagine if you could make it dissapear, stand or sit in comfortable position anywhere without anything except you and your saw and file, with no risk of it wiggling, cutting your pants or so..

I have done this, sitting, standing, in stump vice, You name it, I think I tried everything...
How much would you pay to not have the power head there?
Imagine if you could make it dissapear, stand or sit in comfortable position anywhere without anything except you and your saw and file, with no risk of it wiggling, cutting your pants or so..
Magnus your idea is fine when you have a pile of rocked out loops on the workbench at home. My technique is for the chainsaw operator on the job at the tree or the firewood pile.
I never took coffee breaks as a faller because I was paid by piecework, But I did take short 2 minute breaks to touch up my chain sitting on a stump throughout the day. Those 2 minutes touching up my chain gave me a little rest to recover some energy plus I had the chain cutting the fastest again to keep my production up. No time is lost looking for or setting up a stump vise etc.

While working all you have to carry in your wedge pouch is your file, scrench and a spare chain if your cutting on rocky ground. These can be used for the faller, arborist or firewood cutter.

Now I understand what your verticle bar filing technique does: less down pressure, more pressure back into the cutter [works great with a dull file]. But I like sharp files and a good view of my cutter's angles.

With my technique The powerhead is there for me to hang on to and help keep the b/c stable for me to file it. My fingers are also keeping the cutters stationary. I have the best view of my cutter's top and side plate angles. With my thumb I can rub the filings off the edge to keep a good view. If I'm worried about cutting my pants I lay a stick, log cookie or glove on my knee to rest the chain on.

With regular quick touchups on a chain on the job you will have less filing to do at home in the vise.

The most efficient chainsaw operator is the guy who can file a chain at the stump with little downtime and with just a file. Leave the vise for the saw mechanic.

Willard.

I file vertical in the woods as well, standing or sitting. So to me it is no dream, it is reality. Power head is on but at my feet....
I never use dull files as they scratch rather than cut and never apply more pressure than needed to keep file from vibrating.
On the few occasions I get to cut I file every tank, with new chains if needed or not, at least one good correct stroke. This help hold the edge and make it sharper and last longer

If you were to try it you would notice the benefits. I used to file like you do...

I file vertical in the woods as well, standing or sitting.
I never use dull files as they scratch rather than cut and never apply more pressure than needed to keep file from vibrating.
On the few occasions I get to cut I file every tank, with new chains if needed or not, at least one good correct stroke. This help hold the edge and make it sharper and last longer

If you were to try it you would notice the benefits. I used to file like you do...
:lol: Yes I used to file like you too

I have tried verticle Magnus but only with a chisel bit file for square ground chain. Thats the only good way to file this PNW type of chain because of the 45 degree angle the file has to go into the cutter from the top going down against the cutting edge corner [not like the under or away from the cutting edge corner like in round filing]
For the beginner saw filer my horizontal technique is the easiest to learn the angles etc. When you get good at it its very quick and the most stable for filing.

I worked with a Swiss logger once who filed his chain like me but only filed from the right side of the bar. He would file the left hand cutters like I do in my 1st photo but would file the right hand cutters with the bar nose on his right knee and file into the cutter's corner . Another option for my technique.

Willard:)

I file with left and right hand when the spirit is right.
Mostly right or left in field, but in the vice on shelf it is both...

To the best of my knowledge I think it is safe to sat that if the file is straight and go back and forth in a tooth the position of handle (up or down) is of less importance.
I goofy file both from inside and outside. I think result is about the same.
I file with agnle file from inside out, don't do that much as it won't hold edge very well....

If I am to file outside in I prefer a file with a smoother cut, not so aggressive. It is easy to get vibrations and you take the hard surface of first and thru the softer frame of the tooth.
I got in to my head it leave a ruffer edge in the chrome, but need to put it under scope to confirm this before I put money behind it.

I use a lighted magnify glas to inspect and see results. Amazing how much you can see with this a marker and look each stroke...
Good way to learn is to see what you did. If you know this and how it is supposed to look it does wonders..

Holding the file handle 10 degrees down while filing with a round file was adapted for putting an edge on a sawchain for frozen wood or dry hardwood. But today its accepted by most sawchain companies to hold the file level at 0 degrees for all standard cutting.
Just once less step to make sawchain filing a little easier for the novice.

Willard.

Back