The portable chainsaw and trimmer stand

I sure hope gramps didn't sink his life savings into THAT! On another note, ya'll see this? Imma make one at my first opportunity!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CoNDVKdQX_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm thinking it would be cool in a permanent setting. Do it up nice, stain it and seal it; perhaps it'd last for years!

Butch, for a more permanent setting I'll go to HD and buy one for $40. That one would work for about a day or three before the hinge broke.

Was it just me or did that saw seem totally gutless?

Larry, that's what retired people do. They piddle around in their garages inventing stuff. Maybe one day I'll invent one as well. ;)

I bet that file in a drill going back and forth lasted a long time :lol:.

Was he filing in both directions? What the hell is wrong with just using a hand file the right way? I like what you did there Al, keeping it simple and using what you have.

The old timers used to break a file into short sections and use them in a drill motor to port chainsaw engines .

I rarely file on the job anymore, just easier to grab another saw.

But I have this in the tool box for when it's needed. Stihl Stump Vise.

stumpvise.jpg

As long as we're whupping out peckers...

I'll drag mine out again.

Attachments

• vise4.jpg
    vise4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
These photos would look better in a forest setting while sitting on a stump or log.
The quickest most efficient way to sharpen a chain on the spot, just takes a little practice.
Fat bottomed Stihls sit really nice on your leg.

Willard:)

Attachments

• SDC11959.jpg
    SDC11959.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6
  • SDC11960.jpg
    SDC11960.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
Willard, if you were a judge on American Idol I would commend you on the awesome product placement shot including phone number. :D

Willard, if you were a judge on American Idol I would commend you on the awesome product placement shot including phone number. :D
Hey thats a great idea Paul. We could have a American Idol style "TreeHouse Chainsaw filing contest".
Let the games begin!!

Willard;)

I rarely file on the job anymore, just easier to grab another saw.

But I have this in the tool box for when it's needed. Stihl Stump Vise.

I'd never seen a stihl one before and it sure looks nice and sturdy.

I guess only the rich guys have those. :big-sad2:

Rocking a chain on a steep slope and with your pack up hill a hundred yards to grab a new chain was a delicate balancing act. File it on the spot or hike up the hill to get a fresh one... Sometimes a touch up with the file would get you through... depending on the severity of the damage to the chain. And along the way compromise some details to get the job done until then.

Oh there is no end to the things we have to do to get a job done sometimes. Mac Giver it.

Once I annealed the fixed end of a pull starter spring with a Bic lighter to see me through the end of the day. And the spring lasted me two more years after that.

You just can not bend the end of those springs cold with needle nose pliers to get the hook needed to hold them in place. At that time my truck was half a mile down the hill to get a new spring. I crossed my fingers it would work and it did.

There's got to be 40 ways to file a chain .What some like others do not .

I go over the top from the back of the saw,left right left until it's done .For me I see the angles better .Others do one side at a time with success .I guess you just have to use whatever method best suits you .

I switch hands holding the file when switching sides. Left hand to file the right cutters and right hand to file the left cutters. I don't think I could manage to file like Willard in his second picture.

Ditto to Al's sentiment. 8)

Back