The Official Work Pictures Thread

Spotting scopes rock, I just got one last summer.

Ohhhh, I wanna jump in that 43* beauteous Maine salt water!!!!

Not me. I was in that cold Maine water once as a kid. Didn’t much like it. Now put me down in the Smokey Mountains and I’ll swim all day in the river. To be fair I think it rained the entire vacation in Maine. Could be a bit prejudiced from that experience.

Looked at a few fun removals today. Having the guts to hit a few tight lays could be the difference between making money and making damn good money on this job.
002B4CE5-EC3C-4022-8AC0-36AC0E642308.jpeg 6B5D6AD1-424F-4215-9471-C76D0B3AD58F.jpeg 2B20ECB4-D2A3-424D-A924-7EA8948DC2D2.jpeg
Not my crew or equipment pictured. These guys are working for the neighbor. not a hard hat or helmet on any of the six guys on site. My bid is almost 30% higher than theirs. We will see if I get it. Apparently they’re not concerned with the fact that the Corp of engineers is allowing for the tree removal but have strict regulations on damaging the “save” trees. I should’ve taken some pics of what they were working on but wanted as far away from the train wreck as possible before the corp’s representative came around. I’m waiting on a call tomorrow as the property owner needs to think about it.

Mine was on to walk the site next door just out of courtesy. I could hear a couple of the guys laugh about it but whatever. Took me over an hour to walk the site and document the trees. 27 in all. 23 of them in the 100’ range. 9 to be rigged down. Four of those won’t have any salvageable timber.

They won't be laughing when their brain sees daylight.
I don't get not wearing a helmet. There is a crew here in town that never wear any PPE and yet "they are the best". Iv'e seen their work in progress bad cuts, sloppy rigging, lion tailing trees, and ruts, but they still get work. I don't get it.

Gotta be dirt cheap, lotsa cash receipts and payments, bare bones insurance, no employees on the books.

Had a tree to get down this morning. Huge white oak with a split/hollow. Huge limb fell off last fall. Wind got another one last week, so owner decided it was time to go. First pic, 7:58. Second pic an hour and a ten minutes later. That hole is from the limb last fall. The hollow was big enough for me to crawl into. The split ran around and up to the last branch union, and daylight was visible through the trunk a good 8"-10". Would have gone much quicker, but I was cutting a limb, letting the owner drag it away with his tractor, wash, rinse, repeat, until all the lower, larger branches were cleared.

He decided he wanted to clean up the limbs and I'll go back later to drop the trunk.
IMG_5837.jpeg
IMG_5839.jpeg

Here are a few pics from a wind storm we got back in Feb

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_131316094_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200204_131316094_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200204_131316094_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200204_131316094_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
This one was uprooting over a house so we guied it back to rig the wood out

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_113124865_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200211_113124865_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Not often you see one supported by the lines like that. I'd guess it has a lot to do with not only the weight of the tree, but also how evenly the tension is spread amongst the lines. If one line loaded up much quicker than the others, it likely would snap. I saw a large pine tree across a three phase a couple of weeks ago after a storm. It had all three, plus the neutral pressed all the way to the ground without breaking lines or poles. Tricky to get free if you're not paying close attention.

Just hanging out being essential today. With all the storm damage lately it was my duty to inspect the cabling on this cherry tree
588D7440-AE8D-477F-AE19-2E9EC7AAABD0.jpeg FE361D07-41B5-49CA-A3DF-9B28FB364F6B.jpeg D68AF75A-DF4B-4A98-A49A-C9F16CF29F99.jpeg
might have cut some deadwood and sucker growth while I was up there. Maybe removed some end weight on a couple over extended limbs as well.

Gotta be dirt cheap, lotsa cash receipts and payments, bare bones insurance, no employees on the books.
I've heard cheap and cash. But full insurance, and five guys. That's a lot to cover in cash if they are under the table, I have a feeling they are legit. I just don't get the lack of PPE.

Wire core flip line. I need to make a new rope lanyard soon. The wire core is really nice for spar work and spurring up but lacks in so many other areas. One area is that heavy steel snap has a radar honed in on my finger tips.

Back