The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yes gusts of wind are worrisome in Lombardi poplar, impressive at least. The long and skinny vertical limbs make you think that you're gonna fly away with them, overall knowing that their wood is very brittle. Add to that a poor hinging capability, aka zero control of the aiming after the cut, and a giant leverage for the wind.
Once, I took a Lombardi's rigged top on the back due to an inverted gust. Damn, it was heavy !

Ouch.

I am glad Lombardi's are not popular here, you do see them as farm wind breaks every now and again but that is about it. Spruce are a better choice here for wind breaks.

Just found this picture from a job earlier this year...tying the tip. We spider-legged that one.

Attachments

• 5923.jpeg
    5923.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 52
Sweet ride Paul.

Gary, is that a hydro service mast on the roof? I hate working near those, most look like they'll snap if you stare at them too long, nevermind swinging a branch past one.

Not sure what it was...but we didn't break it!!! :D

I was working with my bud who is a contractor...if we broke anything it was his baby (it was also his house...:D)

When I first started out, I worked for a textbook arborist who didn't have much removal experience a very little bit, who wanted to take the top out of conifers before stripping because of some statistical nonsense about shockloading and bending moment and blah blah blah. Guess what, he couldn't see to handsaw and throw the top over the service lines very well with a tree full of limbs below him. Pulled the mast and damaged the roof sheathing and shingles. Not a money-making job for him.

Good walk there....that is a tough work position. I've been out like that but have not had to rig from such a perch. Good show.

Man, I think I wanna move to Russia. What an awsome place when a tree-guy can just go up without any silly cones, or anything, and just start chunking down some, enormous tree right over a major public thoroughfare, without any silly litigious rigamarole like yellow tape that says, "Caution!" on it--just as if anyone is idiot enough not to understand that falling wood constitutes a situation in which an element of caution might reasonably be required.

Think about this for a second... the dude can just go up an enormous tree and start ripping limbs off of it that land inches away from the cars, and as long as he is good enough to not scratch any of them, everyone thinks, "Wow... what a good tree guy."

Man, if you did this in Seattle, some leftist he/she man would shoot you with a tranquilizing gun, lower you to the ground with a firetruck, and then drag you before the authorities. Must be nice to live in a free country.

Man, if you did this in Seattle, some leftist he/she man would shoot you with a tranquilizing gun, lower you to the ground with a firetruck, and then drag you before the authorities.

I do not like this scenario ...) By the way, there is a cone, signal tape too. Here we use red and white signal tape.

A higher tie-in would make that walk a lot easier. I always tied in as high as possible, even if I didn't have to cut anything way up there. Just makes the rest of the tree easier to access. YMMV

Back