The Official Work Pictures Thread

Chipped a truckload today. It's been drying a week, noticably lighter.
A truckload of big limb wood to load... Chipper blades are dull. I heard some rocks go through today. They were already well-used. Mini-feeding is dirtier, ime. IMG_20180523_165719824.jpg IMG_20180523_143426492_HDR.jpg

One more log to pull off. Log hauler coming next week. Main trunk is staying for habitat, and saves dealing with it.

F.U.N.

Landowner must've noticed the "Brush Chipping" listing on our web site for services offered. Because that's what we did all day yesterday. Nothing like cleaning up someone else's mess! They had someone come out previously with a skid steer and shears and take down a number of locust and Osage Orange trees, then left them all in piles (along with barbed wire fencing and posts. The owner had tried to burn a couple of the piles, then got scared and quit (perhaps due to the open wind in that section, makes burning a bit perilous).So now they were contracting at a daily rate to chip as much as we could -- should've been 2 days to complete the whole thing (about 10 brush piles), but they only wanted us to do one day now.

We brought out the skid steer with root rake grapple and had at it, unsnarling the piles and direct chipping into the fields and woods. The first couple of burn attempts (charred logs) made us look like a bunch of chimney sweeps.! Found a few snakes in the piles, and there was ground cover poison ivy around the unmowed pile areas. Ended up giving them a long 12 hour day after some hydraulic hose problems with the machine that made us have to rely on winching for a good portion of the afternoon. And a 20 minute downpour toward the evening, which we waited out and finally ate some lunch. Wound up about 1/2 done with all the brush piles; good for a day's work!

P1310697.jpg P1310699.jpg P1310710.jpg P1310722.jpg P1310728.jpg P1310775.jpg

It was worth doing... but would've been more worth doing if it had been for both days -- to already have the machinery there & ready to roll for day 2. Plus, if we would've finished in 1 1/2 days, we still would've been paid for 2 days. Still financially worth doing -- about the same as a big takedown.

That chipping would have to be REALLY worth doing.

The idea of putting stuff that someone else cut down, with wire and shit in, through a beautiful machine like that gives me the shivers.

Got it done anyway, thumbs up!

I charge extra for chipping another companies brush piles.

I had one lady call me asking if I would chip for free, for the chips, I just laughed and said no chips to a tree guy are like water to a fish.

That's more PC for me to say.

"Do I get a discount if you take the wood?"
"Firewood to a tree co., is like snow to an Eskimo! Everywhere, and heavy".

I charge extra for chipping another companies brush piles.

I had one lady call me asking if I would chip for free, for the chips, I just laughed and said no chips to a tree guy are like water to a fish.

That is a great quote. I'm going to use that for both chips and wood. And far better than what I do now which is to smile and say no while thinking, Are you stupid or what?

That is a great quote. I'm going to use that for both chips and wood. And far better than what I do now which is to smile and say no while thinking, Are you stupid or what?

Drove by a giant pile of stump mulch in a front yard, sign said "FreeMulch" Just smh.

I always try to get custys to keep the chips, the best is when they demand it's taken away, and the following week I drive by and they got a load of chips delivered.

Ah yes...but those delivered chips are all the same colour...not green and brown and white like...
Durrr, just wait a while and my chips will look like their chips, and you won't have had to pay delivery...oh just forget it...

That's more PC for me to say.

I like that one !

You're welcome!

Nice stumpmanship Eric!

Funny, it works the opposite here -- they get a discount if they keep the wood for firewood. But that's in 6' lengths pile up, not bucked up. If we have to buck it for them, it's more work for us than chipping it, so it's a charge. And hauled and stacked would be even more.

A lot of 'free wood, you take it down' people 'round these parts.
I see a couple of those on Craig's List and have to laugh. I wonder how they find takers for it -- but probably not too fast, because the ad lingers around for weeks or months.

I figured out a better BMG manuever while loading wood to move house.

Dave could sell a tutorial on how to kick ass and take names with a BMG.

This locks to grapple to the heel plate, with no spatial confirm in the range of my curl cylinder. IMG_20180529_133926793.jpg

This allows me to push without dreading the grapples when loading into the chip truck, or to roll logs on the ground. IMG_20180529_133935307.jpg

Back