The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice pics Stig, glad you are brave enough to use the camera, risky business by all accounts. In the picture of the beach notch , does all that inclusion dull the saw and devalue the log?

Cory after a lot of chin scratching I saw I could boom all the way in and swing 90 degrees under the canopy of a tree in the front yard and lower it down , put a tag line on it then drag it with wheel loader away from house. You need to come play with our crane sometime, you know you want one!

Ha you're right I do! That would be awesome, thanks for the invite.

Wow that was some chin scratching, but wayyyyy better than doing it sans crane! Nice!

I wouldn't have done it without the crane. Nobody else would give him a price and that includes Bartlett, don't think any local crane co.s would have touched it. My first instinct was to walk . Put a high price on it and hoped not to get it. Interesting side note we had a visiting climber this week. I expected him to pass on the tree but he rocked it !!! He made a few mentions about wanting to relocate and work with us. Wasn't really in the market in December but he is an awfully good climber and seemed pretty cool. Time will tell

Interesting!

The visiting climber, anybody "we" know?

When someone visits, what does your regular climber do?

I hadn't ever heard of him before. When other climbers visit Robby runs the ground which is a pretty easy job with the wheel loader and Brutus

Just curious, what does your regular ground guy do then. Or maybe it's usually just you and Robbie, plus your son once in awhile.

Hey btw, awhile back you posted a pick of some guys in your hood who bought a crane but were only using it for a man lift with the basket. Did they ever figure out how to do picks with it?

I tried 2 guys this year as ground guys, 1 worked hard but had no concept of personal safety, kinda guy who would walk out in a cross walk because he had the light without looking. Second guy really didn't want to get hurt but also was a lazy sack of shit, I don't like lazy. We have another part time guy Mondays and Thursdays after he gets off of his night shift at Ups. Wife works if she has to. It would be great to have another solid team member but cost hasn't been discussed yet. If the economy holds I would expect next year to be a great year, cranes have a way of making that happen.

Hey btw, awhile back you posted a pick of some guys in your hood who bought a crane but were only using it for a man lift with the basket. Did they ever figure out how to do picks with it?

Haven't seen them since spring time, guess it didn't work out for them. Spending money on nice equipment doesn't make you a good tree crew. If I was a better man I would have offered to teach them how to be efficient, I will continue in the gutter:lol:

Haven't seen them since spring time, guess it didn't work out for them. Spending money on nice equipment doesn't make you a good tree crew. If I was a better man I would have offered to teach them how to be efficient, I will continue in the gutter:lol:

Ah ya know, I hear ya. But it's all yin n yang- on the one hand you didn't reach out to potential local competitors to give em a hand up (not that they necessarily would have taken it, you know how that can often work) and on the other hand you've developed and marketed devices to help make all arborists more efficient and productive. Guess it all balances out!

Dang Stephen, quite a market. Mike is solid, I really liked working with him. I'd love to come up and bring the employee for some camping and climbing some time out...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That would be cool Deva. I'll have to look around and find a good tree to play in.
Mike is a great asset and a great guy. Love having him.

Nice drill bit there Mr, CurSedVoyce!

Note to self: As with long saw bars, often start with shorter bar to set the kerf; one should follow same principal with long drill bit. So If I ever use it again, I will be buying a 12-18" to start the hole with. Took me a while to straighten the bit back out during the first of three holes. Drill gave me a bit of torque part way in and I let go the drill head, instinct. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd watched the bit act like a wet noodle.
Job done, got paid. YEAH!

Nice pictures every one.
Sean, that trunk looks a beast!

Paul, Man... I just want to come visit and play! Hopefully in a year or so.

And ream the hole often I go about four inches and then pull out to clear the chips. (probably a joke in there somewhere but keep it clean)

In the picture of the beach notch , does all that inclusion dull the saw and devalue the log?

It dulls the saw when you are unlucky.
Richard used my saw to fell the tree, having dulled his in cutting off the root flares.

Beech veneer logs have to be cut low, because without the curled together growth rings in the buttress to keep them together, they tend to split from the bottom up.
Since Beech veneer is peeled, a split log is useless.

It would be WAAAAAAY easier to do a PNW stump on those, but would also declassify them from veneer logs to saw logs, in effect more than halving the price.

Given the above, doesn't the tall box take away significantly from the value?

Uh, widely open face, instead of a less open face. The height of the face itself is comparatively large. So some of the face is taking out verneer wood. Granted every face (or box as we often call them here) is going to eat up some wood at the base of the tree, but I'm saying if the face was less tall, it would save some good wood. Of course a less open face could contribute to splitting.

Just wondering

Nope.
Once it has been cooked, they cut the buttress off, since it can't be peeled.
It's only function is holding the log together untill it has been boiled.
On that log they'd probably cut off about 1? foot in order to reach straight fibers ( Just like we cut an urban tree at that height for the same reason. To have a hinge we can trust.)

Which makes the whole thing about trimming the log seem senseless.
I've been bitching about that that for decades, to no avail.
I can see where trimming the sides means it takes less room up at the truck, but trimming the remains of the hinge off, is just tradition, nothing else.

Shit, piss, damned, frig...............now we can't write "One half" in 1/2 by using the key for that, either.
It gets turned into a question mark. So my one and a half is now one and a question mark.

There is definitely something rotten in the state of Denmark.

My latest favorite quote...

RIP Daniel Shavers

"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice"
Charles de Montesquieu​

Dewitt earned his keep today lowering almost everything out of three longleaf pines. We had one beetle kill that had a fig tree under it that we were very careful with and after getting all the limbs down, the customer said; "You can cut that fig tree down if you want to, it's half dead anyway". I said, now you tell us!
P1011349.jpg
P1011354.jpg
P1011350.jpg

Back