The Official Work Pictures Thread

No. This Mike I worked with back in the day of being a restaurant manager. Good bud.
All the guys I had left or got left behind. I subbed people like Dave (thattreeguy) and Deva where we came up short. Some of the companies handling the bigger contracts offered climber/faller up to 500.00 per day. Not a wage I could match. Now there are many little companies that were formed due to the gold pine rush that were subs for the bigger guys.
If they are willing to travel, they make good money. Right now they are chasing fires. Gone for weeks at a time.
Ones that don't travel arm wrestle for the work here.
Plenty of dead pines left and they are not all dead yet. Just not as many in critical spots anymore
Mostly felling them now. Hell, did 5 the other day. Climbed one and felled the others. Staged and decked.
200,000,000 dead trees. Do the math.
More dying now.
The line clearance guys are busy. Fires, dead oaks, standard ROW.
Clean up is gangbuster. Self loaders and big trailers with loaders making per tonnage. See a lot of them broke down and broken. But they struggle on. Bound to make money.
Whittled it down to just three of us counting myself.
We did not need dead trees to keep busy. We are an established tree service that has a solid client base.
We are mostly a referral business. I don't have to scramble much for work. Just wish we could charge more and stay busy.
Beetles are still hatching. Oaks are dying too. Still not much rain. We are currently on red flag warning. Place is a tinder box.
Plenty of fire clean up and restoration work to do.
Love pruning and climbing live trees.
Give me that and the complex rigging jobs no one can manage. frig nasty crispy dead rotten risky pines that have sat too long and are breaking in half in 20 plus inch wood. The idiots can have them.

Good post Stephen!

Yep, some of the couple years leftover dead beetle pondos I wont climb, not a chance...I just fall em, dont care if they have a garden, lawn gnomes, or a prized bradford pear (lol) i yell Hail Mary and just blast it em over and watch it crumble into dust, no clean up just BR600..haha :/:

Dust to dust man...

Drill bit arrived today.....
Now I have to buy a damn drill. Rental yard had theirs stolen.
I had a milwaukee back when I was plumbing in AZ. Mine got stolen before I could bring my stuff back to CA,.

Attachments

• 20171214_154300.jpg
    20171214_154300.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39
After hemming and haw'ing for a while, I finally came up with: " The guy who taught you to fall sure knew his stuff".

:lol::lol::lol: I love you. (Loads of Space Dust tonight, but still). Crackin pics. The Danes can freakin CUT and no mistake.

Rich: Your a freakin MAN, sir. I gotta remember the trick about warming your hands up with the top-handle muff... :lol:... it sucks nowadays even in WA... our gloves just get soaked and then the wind makes our hands colder than if we go barehanded. We blow on our hands, work, blow, repeat. Takes a while. :lol:

Steven: Good to see there's still the odd living tree left where your at. The Serbian Orthodox Church is praying for the end of the wildfires. Great pics, btw.

Nice.

How long is your boom again? How long does it take to install the jib?

Boom is 90 jib is 26 stinger adds 20. Takes about 20-30 mins to swing. The customer told us nobody else would give him a price on the tree, it was a tough setup as the house was surrounded by huge trees , nowhere to swing.

CONGRATULATIONS Jed! You're stoked!
You gonna see what you're worth now...You're a tree gem.

Awesome work pics everybody!

Dang Stephen, quite a market. Mike is solid, I really liked working with him. I'd love to come up and bring the employee for some camping and climbing some time out...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMG_20171214_133344535.jpg IMG_20171214_133503971.jpg

Only took forever to stump cut that burly butt. All I had was a 36" bar. Need to get a longer bar. First, need to get around to my MS660 ignition module.

Happy my ported 460 was happy to eat.

Have a line on an 066.

That stump is spalted, burly, and on my trailer in 5 pieces. Too dark for a final picture.

That crotch was way too heavy for me to lift it, cut close to the union.
I'm going to rip them in half. See if there's money inside.;)

That guy recently retired from International Paper and does firewood for fun. He picked up once before. Said he'd come work for me a day here or there. Pay him what I want at the end of the day.
He has three pensions, a yacht, Hummer 3, pulling a old, homemade, converted pickup bed trailer, beat to snot.
Nice new husky.
38 years in the box biz, in the end, 160 people under him, 60-70 hours a week.

They have a do-you-want-to-retire-this-month option out of the blue.

He's waiting 4 years and his wife will retire.

I think one way or another, he's a good knowledge source.

I'm going to look into the SBA mentoring opportunities available locally.

Need to conduct business smarter. The tree work party is manageable.

$450/ for that tree, no cleanup, wow that is righteous bucks, good on you

They are not all the size of the one I showed.
That was simply the only time where I could take pictures.

Some are way bigger and some are not so nice.

We finished yesterday.
The oak had only a small strip of healthy wood keeping it upright. There is a large rotten cavity on the back side of the tear out that you can't see in the picture.
I looked at it carefully on the way up and decided it could be done with a fast cut, so the top wouldn't put too much sideways pressure on the lower part of the tree.

Sorry about the pictures, but it is dark pretty much all the time right now.

I got to talking with the forester yesterday.
They have only called us in to do their hazard trees,because we were recommended by another district. Since he was really happy about our work and the price, and since we've hired our apprentice and need more work if we are to start a new one up, I told the forester that we were pretty good at other forestry stuff as well.
That worked out really well.
He right away offered us a major precommercial thinning job for 2018 and told me he'd have us in mind for other stuff as well:)

P1050891.JPG P1050900.JPG P1050903.JPG P1050910.JPG P1050911.JPG P1050933.JPG P1050936.JPG

Today we went back to logging beech trees.
We are setting a facebook page up in order to generate more work, so we need to take more pictures.
So I made some of Richard felling a beech.
Man, taking pictures is dangerous work!
As the tree landed, I did the instinctual faller ting and looked up , to see if anything was coming down.
Got hit on the jaw by a branch and knocked out!
The camera survived since I was holding it out in front of me, but I have a major bruise on my jaw and
a head ache.
1 inch higher and I would be missing some front teeth.

So enjoy the pictures, please:lol:

Funny thing is, if I hadn't looked up, it would have hit my helmet and bounced off without hurting me much.

P1050955.JPG P1050953.JPG P1050957.JPG

Boom is 90 jib is 26 stinger adds 20. Takes about 20-30 mins to swing. The customer told us nobody else would give him a price on the tree, it was a tough setup as the house was surrounded by huge trees , nowhere to swing.

136', that is some awesome boom length.

Where did you set stuff down if there was nowhere to swing?

Seems to be Big Top week on here this week.

:thumbup:

Back