The Official Work Pictures Thread

I wouldn't have been peanuts as a tree man without all the years of training and experience I was given with the "big company" I signed on with.

I worked a year for Asplundh and they didn't teach me shit.

How to frig off a lot. I guess they taught me something after all!

Good Luck Jed! You did your time with the big outfit, probably earned them a LOT of money with your skills...time to take care of yourself now :)

Of course not :D.

What the??? :X (Que subliminal advertisement for Elyssian's Space dust... enter "spacey" music...) You are getting sleepy... you are getting very, very sleepy... Space Dust is the best beer in the universe... Space Dust is the best beer you've ever had...

Fiona: Wow. Thanks so much for the well-wishes. I'm probably just exchanging one set of problems for a new set of problems, but still... Sometimes yer just ready fer a new set of problems. :|:

Denver!... Crackin pics. Looked like a hard job in a way.

Ray!... Red Dogs on a side-leaner!! :rockon:

Sean (South Sound)... Thanks so much for the thoughful PM. I'll try to respond in detail tomorrow morning.

Stig: Thanks. So uhhh... You've got to check out these pics. Here's what happens when my bar reached all the way through this little Hemlock...

unnamed-1568.jpg

And here's what happen's when I cut a Red Cedar and don't mark my corners...

unnamed-1569.jpg

Say! Would you ever consider doing a video "how-to," on how to cut from both sides?? It could even be in Danish, sir. We'll figure it out.

So one more week at Davey. Here's the General Sherman takin a top...

unnamed-1572.jpg

Here's me taking a log...

unnamed-1570.jpg

Here's the General by our brush pile. :lol:...

unnamed-1571.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0435.jpg
    KIMG0435.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 60
Great pics Jed! frig that new job. Come on down here and we can kill Redwoods from 10 am till noon, 2 days a week for very little $. With all the extra time were gonna have on our hands, we can get drunk on Space Dust and drive the skidder around the woods. It'll be awesome. Seriously though, good luck on your new adventures brother.

Great pics Jed! frig that new job. Come on down here and we can kill Redwoods from 10 am till noon, 2 days a week for very little $. With all the extra time were gonna have on our hands, we can get drunk on Space Dust and drive the skidder around the woods. It'll be awesome. Seriously though, good luck on your new adventures brother.

That's almost tempting enough to sell my business.

Fir tree removal today. Proper parky, -6c but sunny with it. Not too bad as long as you did t touch anything metal without gloves. Rigged down into the rear neighbours garden as access was easier.

Quite a nice day actually.

e69de3862a8312bf51b9f5854a869800.jpg

8a147fc48e2148e4dcfd7f8afcf5d912.jpg

65c289e5b06e96fcf43acde63186e3f3.jpg

7358fd27be96ae07e8a4efa51765811b.jpg

3172179a66325bdfea6f602ca9411391.jpg

9c7f9ae968a1f51870e4699dde897c23.jpg

b06ad6f6b6e0cc0e99932991e82b3093.jpg

Rich

Come on, Jed...let me tease you a little. Don't take it seriously :).

This is BEER, sir!! Some things are worth fighting for!

Eric: You'd better have a pretty big goat-pen.

Biggun: Man, that was cool... literally... and then... I dunno... something about Norway, or something... God's country if you ask me.

Now here's another Fir, a hair over 150'. The marm broke out at about 80'... here's the poor little old ladies roof...

unnamed-1573.jpg unnamed-1574.jpg

She wanted it left as 75' stick with the limbs still on it, so here's me after my nightmare rope show...

unnamed-1575.jpg

After that, the chunk-down went easy, but what a weird job. Here's the finished product... a REAL arborist will leave a slanted cut at the top, "so that the rain can run off it." :lol:

unnamed-1576.jpg

Goats. It's funny my best bud loves goats. We often argue the merits of goats vs donkeys. Lol.

Jed brother. All the best on your new endeavour coming up.

I thought it was supposed to rain all the time In Southern Norway, Rich.
Loved those pictures.
One of my top 3 countries in winter sun.

We have taken a couple of days off from logging to do a bunch of hazard trees for the Danish Forest service, district east.
They send for us once a year, and by now we have taken out all the truly nasty ones, so most of what we encounter are just run of the mill toppings.
We've agreed on a per tree price that is fine for us.
All the ones we did today were just, climb, cut and collect the money.

Weather was shitty and since I did most of them, all I have, picture wise, is Richard taking the top out of the first one.

It had enough lean to barberchair, which beech is prone to do.
Rather than chain it, Richard bore cut it, gutted the hinge from behind and tripped it.
He'd have done better by tripping it from the outside, but that is nit picking.

Yes, Jed, it had side lean, so he made the hinge smaller in one side to compensate.
This is not one of Daniels " can't cut for shit" secret cuts.
Richard is totally used to borecut while aloft, plus he is my old apprentice:D

That old apprentice thing came up last week.
We were looking at a beech that in my mind had nowhere to go.
Richard suggested dropping it between two other beech trees and I said that there wasn't a chinaman's chance in hell of getting it down there without hanging it up.
So he grabbed the saw and slid it down, no problem.

After hemming and haw'ing for a while, I finally came up with: " The guy who taught you to fall sure knew his stuff".

I'll be hearing about that tree for a while.:( P1050856.JPG P1050854.JPG P1050857.JPG

Is it still considered a top when it's two thirds of the tree? Nice pictures everyone!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Don't know.
We simply neutralize them.
State forestry service has been kicked hard by the EU for not leaving enough dead wood standing, so they like to leave the "safe" part of the trees upright.

Silly, really, but a good deal for us.

We get about $450 per tree.

For climbing up and taking the top out, that is an ok price.
Wasn't always so. First couple of time we did it , some of the trees were horrible.
There were quite a few where we said , forget about it.
Now they have learned to mark the trees as hazard in time, and it is mostly a cosy jo.

We walked on one today, simply too spongy due to Fomes fomentarius to cut safely. Tomorrow we'll try to do a cut partway and rip the rest, with their tractor mounted 15 ton winch.

Back