The Official Work Pictures Thread

Cracking pictures.

When I get over to Norway I plan on getting into a bit of milling. A lot smaller stuff than that though. Looking at an Alaskan as a starter and see where it goes.

How do you market your lumber, Erik? Is there enough market for whatever you can produce? I'd like to diversify.

Have you seen the Official Milling Thread?

Nice milling pictures!!
Saw a Lucas mill in action here at AgFest, and my neighbour around the corner has one so efficient!
But it spat out a lot of dust and stuff.... good on ya for messin' with us by putting on a lid...but still no eye protection mate?

When I get over to Norway I plan on getting into a bit of milling. A lot smaller stuff than that though. Looking at an Alaskan as a starter and see where it goes.

If the funds were available, I think I'd skip the Alaskan mill and go right to a Lucas or something thereabouts. An Alaskan mill will give a taste, but it's slow and taxing with a bit of Murphy's law in the mix.

Alaskan's make it easier to get long pieces to a stationary mill. I ripped a 13' (soft) bigleaf maple in half, then took it to a bandsaw in the biggest pieces I could (roller logs help a lot!). Lots of work, especially with hardwood.

Lucas offers a 50" chainsaw slabber attachment. That would be sweet.

If I lived and worked in Oregon then I might feel differently. But you have neither the heat or the humidity of central Florida up there.

Ha, wimps, that's a daft statement... they sure as shit are not working as hard as a production tree crew. I've had many close friends in the FS/gov agencies and as employees, govt work is not at he same level (aside from fire, that's a different animal).

Neither of you have the first understanding of my reality.

Brian, we have triple digit temps and humidity in the +80 percent at times. Every bit as miserable as yours. It's not regular like yours is, but if I can wear the PPE for a week, I could wear it for a month, or more. And I've been on month long fire assignments as a fireline faller/cutter in places like Mississippi, Texas, Alabama. Arizona, S. Cali...temps nearly 110 degrees. Full Nomex pants and shirts, chaps, leather gloves, hardhats with neck drapes, 30 pound packs. And maybe you have forgotten...I was born and raised in Florida and Georgia, worked several summers as a teenager in the field for both FL and GA Game and Fish. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm on about.

SimplyArbor, Ian...as for you...bullcrap. Me and my FS crews worked our asses off, both project work and on fires. That "gov't employees are all lame slackers" legend does not fly, never did, where I worked, with the good people I worked with. I will not allow such slander to stand unchallenged.

All 4 seasons I worked FS Fire, asses and elbows all day. Fireline, mop-up or Project....
Plumas and Mendo.

I watched a guy hit his chaps...

Another fellow, narcoleptic, fell asleep and dumped his saw into his chaps...no cuts, just bruises.. like a husky 266..

I want some pants like you had Deva, still just not pulled the trigger on them yet. Playing mechanic is the money focus right now. But the chaps work for now. Just not in the tree.

Burnham, here's how it is for me. Firstly, I don't feel like a wimp. But if I am, that's not the reason I've shelved the saw pants. The reason I'm not wearing them right now, is because I don't agree with them. I've always been that way....if I don't agree with something, I won't do it, if within my power. I don't care who says this or that, I'm not doing it. If someone else's sees a different order of risks and dangers for themselves, that's up to them. I'm not arguing or telling anyone else what to do, nor trying to force my ideas on others. Along the same lines I won't accept someone else's thoughts and preferences are better for my welfare, than what my thoughts and preferences are for myself. If you get my meaning. There's not a person alive who's judgement I would trust more than my own in that sense. It goes way beyond saw pants. You can't change or deny who you are and how you feel.

That said, I have been thinking about giving chaps another go. I haven't worn them since 99, but there might be a compromise there. I took for granted how much I climb on my knees until the other day.

Back