The Official Work Pictures Thread

Branches laced... Had to do the big lead first IMG_20170711_155703482_HDR.jpg

I know in the grand scheme of things that is a small machine, but I smile and say "Ogre don't care"

IMG_20170711_162308049.jpg

This is a Pre-construction hazard felling project for my friend's cat and kitten rescue, where the motto is:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CAT HOUSE, printed shirts and jackets, maybe on the brochure, too.

Did some zip lining with kids. Scoping a real zip location and materials.
IMG_20170708_150439974_HDR.jpg

Diggin that springboard Sean. Btw... self-zip? not sure I know whatcha mean. Joe's still gotta tension the line, don't he??

Sam: Uhhh... I think I'm done complaining about tight shots now. Well done bro. Nice stump too.

Rico: Thanks so much, sir. Really diggin the one of the guy sitting on that buck... seems like those are (steel) wedge marks on the top of the log. Yeah, those one-log-loads are pretty surreal aren't they. I gotta old shot of George Cray from Vancouver who fell a 406' (measured on the ground) Doug Fir. Try to shoot it up.

Cory: Djoo get a 350t yet?? Man, those $250 top-handles are cutting circles around ALL of our Stills and Huskys... with the mods, mind you.

Rich!!! Ahhhh!!! Wow. What a freakin pig. Cool shots brother.

Just got the wood out of the back with Joe today. Man, that kid was freakin pissed... we hand-split 16" bolts to pack it off the hill and out to the tractor. We packed out about 4.5 cords. Man he was pissed. I ended up giving him a Guiness back at the shop, and the boss ended up giving him a $1.50 raise.... THAT stedied his head a bit. Weird how his mood cleared right up. :)

unnamed-1413.jpg unnamed-1414.jpg unnamed-1415.jpg unnamed-1416.jpg unnamed-1417.jpg

Jed, great pics there! Talk about cutting in some lean, wow!

No, I wont get the Echo till a stihl shits the bed, but I appreciate the Echo update, good to know!

Some really nice pictures!!

I like the 'take it in one pick' lift of your tree Jay, nothing like a base cut :)

All I see in the other pictures are the loquat trees...mmmm, I love loquats.

That's cool af Jay,I'm always on mobile needless to say i cannot even make out the leafs/needles from the photos. Badass though no doubt 💪👊🤘

Awesome shots Rich,hella artsy look at death...

Deep face Jed,bet that fukr tipped on over.that's a ballsy looking notch to me hahaa.
Sounds like y'all crushed it out there😅 grain looks bitchn

Curious to see what kinda zipline you come up with Sean 😃

Jed,

I bet you would like a springboard on the truck. Its so useful, very occasionally, and takes up little space. Couple pounds. Easy shop fab for a fabricator (not me). I'll ask my friend about making them.

Self-zip...
I canopy raised a dozen long fir limbs on a one-sided edge tree over landscaping, zipped to the drive, solo.
Another time, I did the first portion of a removal of an edge tree doug-fir.
In both cases, I got a lot of height out of removal about 3-4 branches per whorl, as they were edge trees, previously canopy raised and deadwooded.

If you anchor the bottom of the zip-line rope, at the end, you can take your rope to a high-redirection point, where it will have the tail hang down to the work area (Anchor at 0 feet, redirect at 60' back down to working at 40'---uses about 120-150' of rope),

or...

anchor the rope more slightly overhead, if you want, and can have a guy clean branches off the rope periodically.

Sling up a bunch of branches, tension the rope using body weight, and a branch wrap to tie off. All is set natural-crotch friction, so thus far you're still only using one rope. Cut a bunch of branches. As the speedline starts to get more branches, it will invariably stretch, and the effective ground anchor point comes closer to the base of the work tree/ farther from the ground anchor. As this loads up more and more, it will become tighter, to a degree, so you still get some good travel, depending on your set-up.

You can slack the rope up in the tree to advance higher, as desired.

You could even set up two different zip lines to two different anchors, if solo, and needing more horizontal travel.

We natural crotch rig stuff, right?
You can natural crotch zip-line stuff too, without strap and biner.

If you want, I'll set it up and post a pic.

Hope that made sense. I'm posting tired...what's new?. Getting ready to make a list for a camping trip. At least I'm posting from a keyboard. I'll edit later if that's garbled.

Broke my grapple yesterday 😯 think the keeper pin fell out
7d673dccba5ab958815b375eea7b0d9d.jpg
93e90d0a786547a838ed5e58cd67a02f.jpg

Might have to grind and weld that crack after the heat and beat

Looks like it. But as you well know I'm sure, when it comes to repairing the grapple it's basically no holds or expense barred. Once you have one, its nearly impossible to envision working without it.

Cut this tree down today. I reduced it about 6 years ago but the lady wouldn't let me take it down. A friend of mine bought the property last week and said removing the tree was his first priority. Was quite rotten at the manifold about 20' up but the trunk was surprisingly solid. Normally when laurel oaks get that big they will be hollow. I had a hell of a time cutting it with a 32" bar. The saw was cutting straight but I wasn't. My ass was dragging by the time I got to the trunk. There's a walkway just below camera range so we couldn't flop it.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 47
I had to crane the chunks down to keep them from hitting the house. When I got low enough I cut the chunks and had the Bobcat guy drag them off with the tongs and a cable. That chunk on the ground is probably 4000 lbs. I ripped it in half so he could drag it to the curb. I have a 50 yard grapple truck coming in the morning.

Big chunk!!
One from last week we did two silver maples 20 hours and 64 yards of chips.
This is the bigger one and the smaller on was not far behind this one Image.jpg

This is one I kinda felt bad about cutting counted the rings with a 10X lens 78 YO Image 1.jpg

Big pig Brian.

Nothing compared to the trees you cut. But it was probably the 10th or 15th tree I've cut that my 32" bar wasn't big enough. I cut a few fatties back several years ago when I had the hopped up Stihl MS880. Sold it because I hardly needed it and the 395XP ran so good.

A LOT of work on that big one, Brian...makes me tired and hot looking at those pictures. Sounds like you have the resources marshaled to handle the cleanup.

Good picts.

Back