The Official Work Pictures Thread

Because you can't move as fast from a kneeling start.

I've been clobbered by a big hanger while felling, they can come at you like an express train. Seconds or fractions of a second can make the difference between being hit and avoiding it. Think like a boxer, on your toes, moving like a butterfly.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjeremy.cadotte%2Fvideos%2F1212221445455395%2F&show_text=0&width=400" width="400" height="400" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Hella vid.

I frequently cut a high stump when felling for better safety and ergonomics, flush it off later. And as a general rule, cutting from feet rather than knees is definitely preferable. But I think kneeling has its time and place.

A good example of the " I'd rather be dead than be a bore cutting Euro wimp" philosophy.

Btw, I wonder what felling cut woulda been better on that huge rotten fir. Can you plunge and leave a back strap to trip with a tree like that or is it just too much of a powder keg?

But I think kneeling has its time and place.

Sure, genuflecting has it place when in a Catholic church.
In the woods, not so much.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvhYqeGp_Do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Btw, I wonder what felling cut woulda been better on that huge rotten fir. Can you plunge and leave a back strap to trip with a tree like that or is it just too much of a powder keg?
That is exactly how I would do it. The strap could be left on the high side making a quick getaway easier. On thick barked trees like that, I recommend removing the bark prior to setting the strap, as it can be far too easy to cut past the timber.

Second that.
Might be rotten enough to simply take off on you as you set your back strap, but then you'd still have your hinge size down, so the chance of a barber chair would be way less.

The low back cut didn't help either.

He sure had the falling experience to know when getting the hell out of Dodge was a good idea.
That saved him.

Ray, they call jeans fire retardant even though they aren't a high tech material? Basically cuz they won't do any melting on you? Thanks.
Cory, they are also supposedly "chemically treated" to extinguish any flames and that agent supposedly degrades in time with washing so they issued new ones every year. What the chemical they were treated with is, I have no idea.
I like to cut a high stump too but on the bigger stuff if I can make one cut instead of two I'll do it. I know some westerners are saying "bigger stuff? Where?".

Doh, the more I thought about it I guess I never fell a tree from kneeling. Either cut it at waist level for ergonomics, or lower down while on feet, leaning over.

:|:

Awesome job and pics Ray!!

them are some fat trunks there and some good size branches to deal with. :thumbup:

So,here goes:
Even with just a spar, make sure you have cleared a way to escape, and stand up while felling it.

To me spars are very dangerous to fell, they can bounce back, up and over really far like Stig said....Im way more cautious on spars than full trees.

Ive done crazy amount of bark beetle kill pines these days and a lot have to be limbed and topped to make room in a residential area.....

Stig: As a residential arborist with zero cimmercial timber cutting experience, please understand that I am asking this in all of the possible humility that an apprentice faller could muster. What I'm struggling to understand is how a faller could ever keep an eye on the top from a standing position while cutting low stumps. (And that by Euro standards!) Lean and mean power-squat?

The B.C. Faller Training Standards (I'll try to shoot a video link in a bit,) recommend falling from a modified kneeling position (one knee on the ground and one in the air) for best ergonomics (keeping a straight back) and fastest get-away while watching the top for the greatest duration of the fall.

Anyway, that's how I cut these two windrow Poplars at Boeing yesterday. The first, an easy one wedger, and the second: a back-cut first, leaner. (Buckin BR style ;):lol:)

Ray! Great pics. Love the beautifully low and level stump! Thing of beauty.

unnamed-858.jpg unnamed-859.jpg

Stig: Oh never mind the fiber-pull you stupid Viking... I'm an arborist for crying out loud!

Anyway... here's the vid I was talking about. This guy's amazingly good, by our West-coast standards, and I would imagine that you'd exhibit similar skills, albeit differently adapted due to the regional variation that our geographical seperation warrants. Please let us know what you think.https://youtu.be/X1hHzJYUUSc?t=138

That was a good link, Jed....thanks.

Don't kneel when falling a tree or even a spar.
If things go to hell you've no way to escape ( Unless you are Gary!)

hahaha...I'll take that as a compliment!

Here is one way to escape from a kneeling position...I'd have to leave the chainsaw behind though:D:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CKblAXKJ70g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice job Ray. I can only imagine the sap running in the heat right now.
Great stump once again Jed.
I agree with Justin and that's what I tell the guys I work with.

Gary, I meant it as a compliment.
I figured you'd have the flexibility and leg strength to make it work.
After getting bad arthritis in my left knee I can't do stuff like that any more.

Since we do most of our falling in winter, kneeling is not done, not only for safety but for the simple reason that you get your pants wet.

I powersquat and place my elbows on my thighs, letting my legs take the weight of the saw.
That means I can isolate the back and keep it straight.
As for looking up, never thought of that as a problem.

Having smashed two hardhats over the years, I'm extremely paranoid about what comes down, so I look up a lot.

Back