The Official Work Pictures Thread

ed1d91cebe70efd942abe73b868597db.jpg

Yeah, Bix... you have simply surpassed me sir. Literally. Probably the biggest tree I've ever been in is 165. Insane pics too. Your stump's even way prettier than mine. :( Why do you guys gut the middle though?

Cory, Rich and Rajan: I'm thinking that you gents are all righty-tighty men. Try wrappin er lefty loosey, and see if she don't refrain from hocklin altogether. Or if she starts to hockle that way, work er the other way. Try it and let me know.

I already have the rope guy switch back and forth. It's because I used three strand for a long time. We had spools of it at the shop. Even the stable braid will hockle up if not tended to. It does help switching.

Great pics Bix

Big ugly Sean. Nice work. I would have hated doing that solo.

NO way to do that solo. Self-lowering was the way to go. I realized that I should be using a sling and biner midline (15-35% of the way down) rather than the end, with the BMS Belay Spool. Built in tagline. The f'ing 'velcro tree' cedar was the only real hang-up with 5 rigs. A half-dozen ferns were a bit beat-up, but none of the woody plants below.

I may have mentioned, but I resigned my self to having cut a too-big leaning block that was plumb over the asphalt, and I couldn't rock it over. I was loosing my grip on the horizontal top. I decided that I'd give it one big heave and try to pull it back and sideways, but was probably going to lose it. I got it rocked over back toward me a bit and pushed it to the side.

The other realization is that I could have cut the top of the block with a slope (perpendicular to the trunk), instead of leaving it horizontal from the last cut, resulting in a 'positive' hand hold. I would have been able to work that block into the drop easily if much more vertical (most of our PNW work), but leaning stems require more skills. You can balance a 10' log if its vertical. This was about 3.5' I was hot, even with a Coolvest (Kasks hold heat), and I almost paid for my oversight with a crater in the asphalt,and my pride of doing low-impact/ no accident work. Could have just cut it smaller. Simplest solution. It was all going into 10''(-) rounds.

Will do Deva, thanks. Also, a big thanks for the referral a few months back too... You got us a job for one of your friends that lives off HWY 49 in Grass Valley, I can't think of the name right now but thank you.

19255acc1b97b9a11aa6aafcaf2d0219.jpg

Jed, gutting the middle seems to make these Pine trees tip over a little easier. Sometimes on large diameter trees (or having a shorter bar) the holding wood in the center can be stubborn and kinda deceiving, the fattest part of the bar is the middle with the tip being a little skinnier... Getting rid of the center like that seems to make sure the hinge is even on both sides. If your logging for timber value it also might help a little from pulling wood out of a log as she goes over.

Thanks guys, glad you like the pics, I appreciate the kind words. It was a really fun job to get, access was tricky... The whole deal was contingent on the neighbor allowing us access through his driveway. The job was located in Dutch Flat about 3,000' elevation. The lot was long and narrow. When we showed up the HO added on 4 more trees. Having a full schedule, we all pushed hard to get-r-dun before the weekend. Tues-Friday 12 hour days with a 4 man crew and the Wraptor, thanks Paul, I thank you on every ride.

6ebcd02eb38b39a255cfde1898cd09dc.jpg

Back