The Official Work Pictures Thread

The 3 strand lanyard looks bad ass in that pic, Jedidiah.

Fiona: Sounds like an amazing day. Heating up around here too. I see more and more people in the river on my drive home.

Yeah, three strand just grips really awesome. I hate climbing on it for obvious reasons, but other than that it works out really well for our shop because even stupid people can splice it really easily. I like it for fliplines, but I think a lot of people overlook how nice it is for lanyards on the power saws. It's really light, and you can snatch up the saw really fast. I see these kids with that super slick, skinny yellow stuff... you can't even grip that stuff without grippy gloves.

Now for rigging... that stuff's heat distribution in natural crotches is unbeatable. It's super light when dry, and even in the rain it sheds water waaay easier than all the other lines. As for the strength factor... see they try to ship us out in only two-man crews a lot, which forces you to take stuff super small to expedite things for the groundman. It forces ME to anyway, but I could tell you some stories... that stuff is so stretchy, it's unbelievable. We used to have a guy (Kevin Wells) who would almost routinely load that stuff so hard that the three strands would completely separate... I'm not kiddn ya. When the load comes off, it just twists itself up into it's regular configuration again right as rain. It's like a natural spring built into the line. So Kevin got to thinking one day when he had an old, crappy line that he wanted to get rid of, "I wonder if it would only break one strand, or would all three go together?" So one day (I wasn't on that job) he was out in the woods doing down-only stuff, and finished up (except for this last tree that he was on) really early, and he tied off a chunk of Cottonwood, "big enough to break the bull rope," but he gave it the bennefit of having Jeff Blas run it down as best he could... Anyway, that rope didn't break, so Kevin took it off his truck after that and just gave it an honest Christian burial.

Its the porty that does it more than the natural crotch?

So what is the best method to manage friction with 3 strand rigging?

We finished off 16 TALL pines for the Beetles last week... One Ponderosa we measured at 205'. Chip brush and wood stays in length where it lies.

Skyman blowing a big top...

dd32d0c409ff73cdaace538442657431.jpg

Back