The Official Work Pictures Thread

The trick is in not making them too phallic. Another good use for a stump, easy carving money, I think. I have made a few mushrooms recently. I need to watch some Youtube videos.

Good work on everything guys.

IMG_20160326_192323381_HDR[1].jpg

Finished a 3 spruce view prune of Mt. Rainier, which I've been working on for a few years, vertical reduction. A big neglected apple tree that has been 4 years running, is finally about back to good shape, after turning into a medusa's head.

Worked on this very old apple tree, in the picture, this afternoon. The top of all the trunk are hollow, two large trunks removed at the base. I cut all that would take out the power line and power mast if/ when it goes. Thinned out a bunch of crowded branches and weight reduction. I wouldn't climb in it.

I've spent a lot of time at the tops of my 10' and my 16' orchard ladders, lately.

A few more fruit trees to go at my house, and 3 at another annual customer's house. I'm sure more calls for fruit tree pruning will come in for another month. By that point, I'm ready for it to be over.

Best silk purse I could make with a sow's ear. I didn't want to remove too much, so I didn't prune all the watersprouts.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_192343248_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160326_192343248_HDR[1].jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 67
Yes rest is my only job for tomorrow. Saw attention don't count as work correct ;)
And Butch yea the puzzle is my favorite, the thrill of every thing. Sure had me on my toes a few times making sure I relieved pressure without it just twisting off. :D

That split oak looked nasty Riskbiz.
Couldn't help noticing the pads on your gaffs have got a bit sloppy, those shanks are almost twisted round.
I found an immediate improvement in my knees and hips when I forked out for some wrap around velcro ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 56
No thanks on the velcro pads I didn't like them, should get some new ones but with two pair and how robust they are I'll likely use them till retirement ;) I blew out my favorite hole in the strap . New ones in the tree stuff box still :)

'Sloppy' pads give the flexibility to make the shank 'angled', which is a design feature of many rigid pads. Its a soft interface between shank and pad.

I had soft, leather L-pads for years...comfy with pole spurs.

Steel insert, velcro pads are pretty nice, too.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Pin oak removal from Saturday. Made a lot of sawdust. Went out with a different crew and they weren't the best in the ropes so it came down with a lot of cuts

Maybe time ;) it didn't show or even feel uncomfortable, so I thought!
9a1ae7da7ba513cdc930d49f24c8cb25.jpg

Almost a year since i posted here. Day 13 at this property. 12 days of apple pruning, then another 3-4 added to shape up this hedge. We wacked the top off last year, now just shaping the sides and top. Hand pruners, gotta love it. Lucky to have this place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 59
Today's horror show. 60' reduced to 20', 100' run.

I want to make sure I have this right- you lowered a 100' long hedge by 40', in one day? How many climbers? Is that cedar of some sort?

We run into these old Zelkovas (species of Elm) planted in ancient neighbourhoods, 200 hundred years old trees on up. Once a highly favoured tree. Often they're been unceremoniously cut back before and have various degrees of decay. There is almost no way to kill the species by cutting back, I've seen them whacked off a few feet from the ground and they still send out shoots. Not much you can do for attractiveness but at least try to give ugly some try at improvement knowing they will be sending out growth quickly, make them safer, then clean away the separated bark and tidy them up and seal the cuts. People usually want them cut way back. Perhaps removal would have been a better option here, discounting sentimental attachment. Some gardeners I know wanted help with the job.

Folks in the countryside often like to give us snacks during the breaks. Very grateful people at this site, and the young grandchildren came out and talked about the tree when we finished up. Some great kids and an enjoyable day of working. There was a fine big old house next door that once had a thatched roof, but it had been covered over.

Alas, some idiot called the cops on the street closure, I heard honking out there when we were having our break, but they had no doubt frustrated turned around when I leisured out to take a look. The cops showed up a little later, but we had a permit, their miss on not properly checking at the station after the call. Some people man, i can't believe it. What can you do on such a narrow road, and there were other ways around the street no problem.

Attachments

• shibano.jpg
    shibano.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 63
  • shibano1.jpg
    shibano1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 64
  • shibano3.jpg
    shibano3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 60
  • shibano4.jpg
    shibano4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
  • shibano5.jpg
    shibano5.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 64
  • shibano6.jpg
    shibano6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 66
  • shibano7.jpg
    shibano7.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 65
  • shibano8.jpg
    shibano8.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 66
  • shibano9.jpg
    shibano9.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 63
  • shibano10.jpg
    shibano10.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 60
Love that truck Brendon.
Amazing pics stories recently!
That spur bruising! Dang! Tree guys are tough. And smart!!
Mick, zeroing in on the spurs and then Joel furnishing the matching bruise.

Love that truck Brendon.
Amazing pics stories recently!
That spur bruising! Dang! Tree guys are tough. And smart!!
Mick, zeroing in on the spurs and then Joel furnishing the matching bruise.
Some brains and brawn in this bunch.
Crap, I just quoted myself. Didn't mean to do that. . . There goes my share of the brains part of this group.

Back