The Official Work Pictures Thread

Turpentine trees=pine trees tapped to harvest sap, to refine into turpentine.

Not so very different a system to maple sap harvests, to reduce to syrup.

Turpentine trees=pine trees tapped to harvest sap, to refine into turpentine.

Not so very different a system to maple sap harvests, to reduce to syrup.
Exactly. Rich they would chop out what we call a cat face on one side of the tree (long leaf pine) and nail metal slats called gutters to it to funnel the sap into a cup. After the tree was abandoned, the cat face eventually turned into fat lighter but over the years above and behind the cat face can rot out and create a hollow. Turpentine was a big industry around here up until around 1970 but the only signs of it now are cat faced pines and clay pots.

Very nice Ray, if it was as windy with the gusts as here I feel ya on that one.
We still find pots in the woods out back try to remember to grab a shot of the different types used over the years.
Lots and lots of long leaf conservation and reforestation going on here.
Steve interesting link I was unaware there was another turpentine.

The Japanese actually tried using turpentine as a way of getting around the oil embargo that led up to their participation in WW2, so they could still fly their kamikaze planes.

Did not know that Stig. You're just a regular treasure trove of knowledge.;)Glad to hear about the longleaf restoration Joel. The timber companies don't plant them here because of their slow growth rate but we still have quite a few on private land, in the Apalachicola National Forest and St. Marks NWR.

Us old guys can dredge up the most astounding facts, right out of thin air it can sometimes appear...we just paid attention over a long period of time, and remember some of it.

Of course, I frustrate my fine mate M by forgetting which brand of some item she prefers she's asked me to pick up at the grocery...too much organic RAM wasted on nearly useless tidbits of knowledge to keep up with current needs :D.

Shovel's full. that's my dad's favorite line for forgetting things. The mind is like a shovel: once it's full, for every new thing on the front - something falls off the back.

"I don't remember that at all, it must have fallen off the back of the shovel."

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Red oak removal today in the ROW. The pics don't show the steepness of the hill we were on. Spent a lot of time waiting on the guys to get stuff moved around. My canopy tie in for some reason
image.jpg image.jpg
The mess below and the spar for tomorrow. Well after I get done plowing snow.
It was a great day.

I really don't know how you snow country boys do it...I worked in snow country, and maybe worse, just above freezing rain country, for more than thirty years. I just said "no" most of the time, for climbing after December and before April :).

Looks chilly.
I was working in near zero degrees with a wind that would chill you to the bone yesterday.
I get terrible pins and needles in my hands so had to warm them on the exhaust when I came down.
I'd find it difficult in your sort of cold.

Yes sir. Right of way. Loving srt.
I think the trim on that house is in the ROW. Not nearly as tight as some though. A few from two weeks ago had 10-15 feet of house in the ROW.

Back