The Official Work Pictures Thread

That's awesome Reg.
57 f here so I let the fire go out. Washed the salt off the vehicles and then let my daughter hang in her saddle for a bit. Basically I'd get her about six foot off the ground and swing her. I didn't bring any gear home so we didn't actually climb today

Madrone. I'd love to burn some! Never have had any. I've got some oak stashed away to try one day in the future too.

Cool looking fireplace.

+1

You guys have Black locust to burn? Imo it is #1 around here- dries super quickly, fairly easy to split, the bark is good fire starter, the wood burns like a dream, makes awesome coals.

Does it produce a lot of ash, Cory? We've got some BL around here, but never burn it for some stupid reason. I remember in New Mexico, the locals used to swear by it.

O.k. Reg, you've inspired me... I kinda want to start a "Show Off Your Woodhorde," thread. I've got a heap of Madrona, mate... not showing off or anything, I'm just sayin'. :lol:

Grendel: You really are a Viking, brother. Take it easy on poor Beowulf.

Rich: Best hinge I've seen in some time. Super jealous of this big job you're on. I'm a pruner now. :yes: :(

Sorry, I don't follow.

Google search:

Can't use treated wood on a certified organic farm...
http://stevenormanton.com/tag/black-locust/
black-locust-fence-posts1.jpg

+1

You guys have Black locust to burn? Imo it is #1 around here- dries super quickly, fairly easy to split, the bark is good fire starter, the wood burns like a dream, makes awesome coals.
It is our favorite too, and it's what we use to heat the shop during the winter.

We have some 40 year old locust posts that are still good at my Dad's place. Had to pre-drill nail holes when we put the fence up...usually could not drive nails into them.

Use to save any locust I cut for my personal heat source in Vt, saved for the coldest of days.
Treebilly the worst part of the Spanish moss is chipping it. It just don't it will feed through but tends to just wind up on the feed wheels. And will stop a saw chain like chaps:mad:
My work today was a continuation from yesterday. Sure feels good to have my yard back:D
3a86fb0354e448c0d926e64c06f266cd.jpg

I see there are a lot of BL fans here :thumbup:

Sean, no serious ash to speak of.

I think of it as nature's pressure treated wood because not only does it last a long time even with ground contact, it has a faintly greenish/yellowish hue to the wood, resembling the color of treated wood.

I've heard BL posts last even longer than the poison infused stuff (pressure treated). I've heard it can be used in timber and framing and other wood working, but you have to get it when its half dry. Once it fully dries you can't drive a nail in and it eats drill bits and saw blades.
I have some dried in my woodpile, I save it for cold night burns. It is my current favorite, I'll see how it stacks up against oak next winter. I planted a dozen saplings for my retirement firewood supply. I figure that the way it spreads like a weed I'll have a whole grove in a few years and I'll never have to go off my 2 acres for firewood.
Some folks say its garbage cuz it grows so fast, not way it can be worth burning with growth rings that far apart - but on the chart (BTU/cord or BTU/ton, I don;t remember) its right up there with oak. And on that note Osage Orange is the top of the list, and it grows fast like Locust.
I used to scavenge for firewood, now I get to pick and choose what I keep and what I trade for having a splitter and help show up to split it. :D
This year I brought home a lot of oak, which is the only wood I kept (almost 3 cords), and gave away some oak and all the "not as good" stuff.

Damn BL eh? I've turfed a bunch, always seemed like it'd be a oily/creosoty type of wood. Living in isolation like a moron.

Robinia Pseudoacacia or acacia as we call it here is excellent fire wood, splits nice but leaves a stringy bit which can hold the two pieces together that can irritates a bit. Coppices well from s stump, makes great fence posts. What's not to like?

In the UK I work for a guy from Long Island. He swears that BL and HL are great fire woods and keeps it all saying that is what kept him and his family back home nice and toasty.

Other people I work for tend to burn Oak, Beech, Ash etc. and would get rid of the BL.

Back