The Official Work Pictures Thread

It eats it with no problem. I can see it from my end now. I still haven't used it. Glad though. My winch is getting a work out on the 1800.

Radical machinery.

Fun hearing about this project.

A couple from yesterday. I haven't taken to many pics. Been a tad busy.
The big tree is waiting for tomorrow. Not overly challenging just tall. We can drop about a 60' log on that one. Just a bit wide with the overhanging trees to be left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 57
It's close but not quite putting them on the tray.
I will have to add that the rope man did great at running both lines simultaneously.

We considered the span rigging Sean but would've been short with the rope. With blocks at 70-75' , 200' of rope doesn't quite get it. I've done a bit of both and they both are very useful.
The nice thing about two ropes is you can traverse longer spans. With span rigging it's coming down in the center.

"Excellent turning wood as well.
Easy to fume with ammonia.

I've made hundreds of salad bowls from it."

Stig, why fume with ammonia?

It turns the wood dark.
You can adjust the color by how long time you fume it.
Since we don't have much in the way of dark woods growing here, it is a way to add a little colour.

image.jpg image.jpg
Last tree before lunch. It had a good bit of side lean and with the high winds today I missed my intended lay by about 5 degrees. Might of been a bit better if I'd of used the 661 but it's to muddy to want to carry that thing around.

If you'd bored the hinge out, there would have been less fiber pull.
The bottom of that log is pretty much ruined.

Ahhh, thanks Stig. I am sending a bit of wood up to a guy in Alaska because they have little bowl turning wood and very little variety. He is newish to turning, I'll make sure he knows about that.

Yeah I figured I ruined it. That one is on a property that wants firewood at least. My paperwork says 6 footers.
Does it ruin the log further up than the pull that is left on the stump? I can see about 4 feet sticking up.

No, further up it is still good.
It is something we are extremely aware of not doing in the woods where all logs go to mills.

Ahhh, thanks Stig. I am sending a bit of wood up to a guy in Alaska because they have little bowl turning wood and very little variety. He is newish to turning, I'll make sure he knows about that.

It only works with woods that are tannic.

Oak works great, you can fume it and make your own artificial bog oak.

Damn I love the job you are on, just nuking in the hood.

What kind of boots are those, do you like em?

Redwing 4417's. I drop them off at the line-x place when I buy them and have the toes done. This is my third pair I've done that to and have yet to wear through it. I like them, but it is a bit upsetting that I can't get more than two years out of a pair. These are about 16 months old. I've got another pair I'm breaking in on Sundays.

Rich, I don't think Ive seen a boot that was both steel toe and electrical hazard-safe before.

How do they do the toes, does the toe covering last a long time?

They're not electrical hazard safe. I keep a pair of Keens in the truck for those days. I don't know exactly what they do to get the line-x to stick but it works great.
I haven't worn through the line-x on a pair yet. It is getting a bit thin on the edges now though

Back