The Official Work Pictures Thread

We had a big storm with lots of blown over Eucs, ground was already pre-soaked from a real wet week not long ago. Ended up being handed 8 jobs by a property management Co. with 6 jobs on one street. Here's some pics of one that ended up on a house, the climbers name is Mike, luckily he was available on short notice and came to help out. 2016-01-15 13.11.29.jpg 2016-01-15 15.21.22.jpg 2016-01-15 15.21.52.jpg 2016-01-15 15.22.01.jpg

I think it is, to prevent the rootball from flopping back into the hole when enough weight is cut off. Do you see the timbers, Jed? I missed them at first. I thought it meant, hold the tree, cut and free drop stuff into the driveway.

IME, the rootball flopping back into position is a good thing, even if the stump has to be ground out. Removing it and then filling in the hole is a huge PITA.

I wondered about that but what would you secure to? The house? That would damage the house I would think...didn't see any likely anchors.

I only did that once and I was lucky enough to have another tree to tie into. One end to the tree and the other to the truck's bumper.

As long as the rigging holds...

As for an anchor, you are craning out re-usable mass. You can choke or otherwise anchor to several logs on the ground, somewhat plumb below the tipped tree's connection (rope, chain, cable), to compensate for the released force (mass and leverage) of pieces being lifted off the tipped tree by the crane.

If you use a POW on the rope between your anchor and the tree, when the tree wants to flip back down into the root hole, you can control it, to a degree.

I can see it handling it both ways, and like so much, is situational dependent. What does the customer want to pay for, and what are your tools/ skills/ resources to match the job?

If you can rip the stump out, you have a crane to load it onto a dump truck/ trailer. RopeArmour/ Tommy has a video of cutting roots and using MA with dyneema rope to lever a tree over a fulcrum (a log) and ripping the whole spar and stump out. Hose it off, and cut off the log. Then, just dump soil.

If you don't have machines for loading, grinding makes the stump into human-sized pieces.

Saw the first in the backyard a few years ago. I discovered the second in a tree in 2008...at a Tree Rendezvous in Atlanta. I was tasked with setting up a geocache for the event. I felt lucky to find Possum...set the cache near him so folks could have the same fun discovering him that I did. The organizers of the event were not too pleased. Made me move the cache to another tree.

I think everyone should get at least one chance to meet a pissed off possum at 50 feet.

Attachments

• possum Tree Rendezvous 2008.jpg
    possum Tree Rendezvous 2008.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 65
  • P-diddy in backyard resized.jpg
    P-diddy in backyard resized.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 64
Man those Possums look nasty as hell, ours just run for the hills thankfully.

With the tree on the house there was very little thought given to what might happen with regards to rootball removal, since the job is "do and charge" insurance work its not that critical (luckily). We were more concerned about it slipping off the roof once either lead was gone due to the angle it was resting on the house at.

Funny Gary!
I used to tell myself I was going to carve some meat off of one, cook and eat it as I'd heard they were tasty. Then I'd kill one and it looked so nasty I'd get a shovel and go dig a hole somewhere. Then the next day tell myself I'd try the next one. Never did...

Come to find out via google, there is no possum in 'possum pie'. Go figure

about 40 years ago some possums hitched a ride with some hay as the story goes from the southern states and we now have these not so little guys running around everywhere, no predators on my island its too small, so one day on a job faller is taking down a stup and right in front of it is a hollow stump as in just a tube of bark standing... for one reason or another he doesn't just run the saw through the bark tube but leaves it, so i walk up and give it a kick to get it out of my way... out of the bottom pops a big ass possum, must have scared him sooo bad, chainsaw was maybe 1/2 inch away from running him through. what a mess that would have made!:big-tongue2:

Most possums you see here are road kill...the word tasty has never crossed my mind when it comes to o'possum.

Nasty...yes...Tasty....no way.

Back