The Official Work Pictures Thread

Life is good in Mass!!!!!

Dayum!!8)

Crazy boom angle and chart in that pic.

That is a big crane but when I've used them they always seemed to be surprisingly good on driveways, we don't need to be overly careful, it carries its weight well. Do you find the same?

When you say half hitch the pick high, do you mean put a half hitch with your sling high in the piece where doing so will make the the piece be butt heavy but the half hitch location doesn't have strong/big enough wood to safely hold the pick so you shackle the sling down lower where the stronger wood is? Thanks.

Yes exactly . Say you're picking half a pine and you done have thick enough wood in the top it's around 8 inches . Half hitch there and have the shackle lower around more secure wood. That way the crane has more control if the pick. And that crane has crushed well over a dozen driveways this past summer

Good info re the half hitch.

Haha, I was just lucky when I used it on driveways and lawns! What do you guys do about the driveways, repair, reduce the job price, or let them fix??

We have in the contract before we do any work we aren't responsible for lawn or driveway damage if it's extreme we will fix it. We try to use ply wood if we know the driveway looks cheap or poorly built.

Fair enough!

Doing crane work everyday, you must get good at sniffing out potential trouble spots.

We won't fix it if it's just the crane driving in and crushing the driveway because it can't hold the weight of it. Last week the crane dropped off the cribbing because it was to much of an incline and we crushed two out rigger pads and ruined the driveway so we will pay to have that fixed because it was an extreme occasion

I mentioned this job in a "how'd it go today" post. Here's the illustrated and less verbose version.

I went to Cleveland to do a large tree job for my uncle Gary. I was going in blind, having never seen his house, all I had were some pictures he had sent. We had a ton of work to do on thursday while the power line was dropped, about 3 days total. I'll try to keep the descriptions short.

Day one, started about 330 PM after driving all day. This maple leaned over the garage, had my dad lowering branches to the roof and then throwing them down to the driveway.

View attachment 64861

I have a few video clips, but they are too big to upload. . .:( Maybe when I find some more time I'll figure out how to get them on here, maybe through youtube or something.

Day 2 (Thursday) EAB damaged ash, judged still live enough to climb, rigged everything off the big oak to avoid shock loading the ash.

Ash.jpg

Approx. 80ft Oak, limbs reaching over the roof - some almost to the chimney, over the neighboring maple, etc.

Oak.jpg

2015-10-22 17.36.00.jpg

I dropped the trunk late afternoon

2015-10-22 18.37.25.jpg

Aubry, the other tree guy working with us did these

Six various 50h 9in dia.jpg

Before I started working on the oak trunk, we saved Aubry from this one, he misjudged the top and it sat on the saw (MY saw, btw) during the back cut. Dad and I put a line in high with the big shot and pulled the top with the throwline, he was very grateful for the save.

Mostly dead 60h 12in dia.jpg

Then Aubry stripped this one and topped it just after sunset, I used my headlamp to give him at least a little light as he cut it. Then I dropped the trunk, in the dark, by headlamp. It was a scramble to get the last "line clearance" trees done and the brush cleaned up as the power company was coming back the next morning to hook it back up, and they stated clearly that they WOULD NOT work though brush.

IMG_20151022_092143449_HDR.jpg

That night (no power in the house) we all went to my OTHER uncle's house (Paul) for dinner and socializing. We didn't get there till 8, still had a wonderful good time, enjoyed lots of Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. Friday morning we were back at it. I was setting up rigging gear in this leaning co-dom, talking Aubry through everything I was doing using the com helmets (sharing the knowledge, paying it forward) and had just told him to trust his instincts and back off if something doesn't feel right when the effects of last night's Oktoberfests hit me and I decided to get out of the tree. As we ate lunch we concluded this one could wait till saturday

IMG_20151022_092134633_HDR.jpg

There was still plenty to do, like this dead one behind the garage, leaning toward the garage. It was actually kinda neat as we got permission to set a guy line in the neighbor's tree to make sure it didn't go into the garage if the hinge broke early, and it turned out to have enough good wood in the trunk that the hinge held. The guy line went slack as it fell, which I did not expect.

Dead 60h 20in dia power lines 40 to garage.jpg

Saturday I got that last leaner on the ground, had to rig all but 1 or 2 branches since it was so close to the garage windows. I knew I could drop them clean, but one bad bounce was all it would need, so they got tied and lowered. Then I went to ride for a few hours at Rays MTB while the rest of the crew finished making this brush pile wall out front

2015-10-25 17.27.20.jpg

2015-10-25 15.51.54.jpg

That pile is almost 6ft tall and runs the entire width of their yard. The township picks up as much brush as you want to put at the curb, every Thrusday, as long as it is cut to 4ft lengths. When asked to schedule an extra pick up due to the volume they politely said, "sure, we're scheduled to come out on THURSDAY."

We drove by another crew in the area doing a big removal, I would've like to stop and chat with them for a bit but we did not have time. Anybody in cleveland working in the heights area (within walking distance of Lee st) with green kask helmets a few weeks ago?

Got to take a trip into Paradise lodge for a overnight work trip. 4 hour drive and a half hour boat trip into the wild and scenic part of the Rogue river. Got a buncha video, hope it turned out.

95c8adb46d3c5f40b90263cb637d50c2.jpg
c76a922e6f1beece4337494975cf3d41.jpg
5b1a137475430840e14edef38b9b4f80.jpg
8748929eca5471a1f463e2061c825f51.jpg
d584e009d27de0e313e5cb067397090c.jpg
5fc13b318fe603c7cca18fd07939a338.jpg

Zelkova removal today, a 260 year old tree. The guy next to the tree is a Nepalese that I work with sometimes.. He does tree work and has a mountain guide service here. He used to work as a sherpa and has summited Everest twice. A heck of a good worker and tree guy that picks up skills very readily. Took the log to the auction yard.

Attachments

• PAP_0000 2.JPG
    PAP_0000 2.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 51
  • PAP_0004 2.JPG
    PAP_0004 2.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 52
We won't fix it if it's just the crane driving in and crushing the driveway because it can't hold the weight of it. Last week the crane dropped off the cribbing because it was to much of an incline and we crushed two out rigger pads and ruined the driveway so we will pay to have that fixed because it was an extreme occasion

Oh, shit! Slide off. What kind of incline? Did you read Jay/ Woodworkingboy's sand bag trick/ tool for the toolbox?

a016b7e7b2f403c36790d59192d714d9.jpg
5ff5e126ee98dbba305cc3cb6724a688.jpg
162d362f0800a3a6a815e4ae337ab0e2.jpg
fe77a21696300fa7c1a1a943372d2779.jpg
i got out into the mountains/woods for a welcome change,park campgrounds are doing some bathroom remodeling.

Wow. Cool pics Sgriff.

Jay.... That's got to be the biggest Zelkova in the entire world. Nice straight cut on the butt, man... well done.

Nicest Fir I've done in a while 135'x30"dbh, absolutely gun-barrel straight and not a single limb for darn near 90'. Also did a little Cedar, another little Fir, and fell a 40' stob. Wind absolutely howling... like 45 mph gusts up there had HUGE limbs traveling, like 30' away from the stump, thank God not toward the house. WAY the heck down in Tacoma... we were only 4.5hrs on site and the rest in rain-driven traffic. Andy and St. Patric bull-buckin' firewood...

unnamed-316.jpg unnamed-324.jpg unnamed-323.jpg unnamed-322.jpg unnamed-321.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-319.jpg
    unnamed-319.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 62
  • unnamed-318.jpg
    unnamed-318.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 62
  • unnamed-317.jpg
    unnamed-317.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 63
  • unnamed-320.jpg
    unnamed-320.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 65
  • unnamed-325.jpg
    unnamed-325.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 63
Nice pics all.

Jay, typical Sherpa-smiling! I bet he is a serious worker. Sounds like a good life- tree work and mountain guiding.

Back