The Official Work Pictures Thread

I was just thinking, If I felled a locust that size, I'd have the whole street lined up with hopeful woodturners.

Yup. Black locust.
It is a real good turning wood, and we don't have many species of hardwood to choose from, here.
Takes a nice stain from ammonia fuming, too.
You can make some really nice salad bowls from it.

A log like that, cut into large turning blanks would net me around a grand.
Most turners haven't the saws or experience to handle big wood, so they'll gladly pay to have it blocked out into blanks.
I've taught Martin and our other guy how to do it, they make some beer money that way.

Couple of years back, I got hired by a bunch of turners to block out a big windfallen maple, they had gotten for free.
They paid me a full days wages for driving down and piecing that out.
Of course, part of what they paid for, was 25 years experience in how to piece out a log in the best way for turning.

Nope.
Shipping costs would kill it.
I looked into it in -99 when visiting Cali, because I thought it would be a good idea to ship a container full of wood home to my turning business.
No go.
We ship a LOT of wood to china, but that is because they return so many empty containers that shipping stuff that way is practically free.

A pity, really, because we could have set something fine up with all the members here.

I did electric motor work for a guy who was shipping machinery to some God forsaken place, he would have logs milled into what ever usable sizes (16 by 16 wide by 10ft long,or what have you) for use as "crating" to get around some sort of wood export fees and regulations of the time.

850ccdbd6853dc6396bf6594a7ec3681.jpg

My uncle from back East retired and sent me his saw…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.
Shipping costs would kill it.
I looked into it in -99 when visiting Cali, because I thought it would be a good idea to ship a container full of wood home to my turning business.
No go.
We ship a LOT of wood to china, but that is because they return so many empty containers that shipping stuff that way is practically free.

A pity, really, because we could have set something fine up with all the members here.

Gotcha!

We is bossy! See Doug down there? We're fixing to blow the tops. Just waiting" Kyle to catch up, he's nervous in these big guys. Mines full of Indian paint fungus, he didn't want anything to do with this tree.
31945b23fef439cb6d07ac60a3bc13ea.jpg

Back