The Official Work Pictures Thread

Ponderosa pine a few days ago, lightning strike...HO sent me pic, I did some bark beatle pines a few months ago here....Oh, yes, they got it out :thumbup:

v3XkWpG.jpg

Machine work day. Blackberry brambles 10' tall and old growth scotch broom, are no match for an Ogre/ Boxer. Easy money.

Widow lost her husband a few years ago to a deadly accident. Invasive weeds were taking over the property and the couple's retail nursery business property.

She was very impressed by the clearing power for its size.

Some eucalyptus fell and were grown over by thick brambles. Ogre don't care.

You can definitely take it places you would not take a tractor. I used my loading ramps to bridge a swale and a retaining wall. In 10 minutes I cleaned up 2 hours of hand work on a cottonwood and a fir, pulled and pushed by the Boxer, respectively.

Most retained plants were mostly covered by blackberries. And they will still need handwork by her yard man.

I pushed some small trees and brushout so she could have a little walking loop around her pond, which she never had before.

5a7d87d39a95f88d4b7cf9abb546f7e4.jpg

d96ebaedb414cf82077c713bbb87fc87.jpg
e6e8abe2847227c559c9377125d4b402.jpg

Lots of brambles and scotch broom.
e44660130241a41462e2fb67ae7ba639.jpg

Machine work day. Blackberry brambles 10' tall and old growth scotch broom, are no match for an Ogre/ Boxer. Easy money.

Widow lost her husband a few years ago to a deadly accident. Invasive weeds were taking over the property and the couple's retail nursery business property.

She was very impressed by the clearing power for its size.

Some eucalyptus fell and were grown over by thick brambles. Ogre don't care. At times I started losing sight of the bucket.

You can definitely take it places you would not take a tractor. I used my loading ramps to bridge a swale and a retaining wall. In 10 minutes I cleaned up 2 hours of hand work on a cottonwood and a fir, pulled and pushed by the Boxer, respectively.

Most retained plants were mostly covered by blackberries. And they will still need handwork by her yard man.

I pushed some small trees and brushout so she could have a little walking loop around her pond, which she never had before.

5a7d87d39a95f88d4b7cf9abb546f7e4.jpg

d96ebaedb414cf82077c713bbb87fc87.jpg

The greenhouse is about 10' tall.

e6e8abe2847227c559c9377125d4b402.jpg

Lots of brambles and scotch broom.
e44660130241a41462e2fb67ae7ba639.jpg

What I did in about 6 hours with an Ogre would have been 5 days with a brush cutter and hand piling for burning.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I used to work with this guy a fair bit over 15 years ago, we lost contact until a couple of years ago, we now work together every now and then, always nice work in great locations.

Al in the green top and his youngest son.

What is an Ogre?

My Boxer. The BMG holds a good club... Compared to what a person can do and take, the mini is strong and tough like a trained Ogre.

Rajah's is named Sancho, iirc. When I first moved to Olympia, with no job. One odd job I did was to clear a woman's whole 80x80' back yard with machete, ms 361, and a pitchfork. Days of stuffing yard waste bins, over weeks. It was easily 6' tall most places, and growing between gutter and fascia board, into the chimney, and onto the phone line. I walked through the house and cut my way to the gates. Only some tunnel walkways, 2' high, of compacted soil where the dogs ran, and no BBs.

Seems palatable to people at $75-100 hourly, and easy on the body. I can take it all over where you wouldn't/ couldn't take a tractor. Under thick brambles there is nothing growing, except sometimes a rat population. The thorns hurt when stuck in the skin, but the infection is really the problem. A small tip can and does break off sometimes. The Ogre's skin is way tougher than mine.

Um, I dont understand how the ogre handles the mess??What cuts the mess?

The bucket shears them off, no real 'cutting'. It stays in big tumbleweeds, as you roll it up. I can grapple it to compact, and push into the chip truck. A log in the grapple can shove the pile to the cab-end of the dump bed, or the next load of brambles. The buckets front edge is a slight blade, and bites into the woody scotch broom, pushing it out at the root, which is ideal, and hard to do by hand, unless you have a Weed Wrench http://lewrentswest.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=51&key=PULSB

Picture a super, giant skidder going pushing its way through saplings with the blade, rolling the whole mess up in front. As you build a 'snowball' of material in front, you are pushing with something now even wider than your blade, clearing land fast. If you get too much resistance from this growing mass in front, and the rope-like effect of hundreds of vines (like Gulliver), you just back up and push from a different angle, instead of coming in from 6:00 position, you come in from 4:00, and the mass breaks free.

I was able to clear a large section of black berries for an old guy with heart trouble in 20 minutes, He would never have taken on the challenge. Rat habitat turned into a place to blow lots of cottonwood chips for mulch for a new orchard and native species planting. Saved me getting my chip truck backed into a long winding narrow driveway, numerous times. I saved money on a bid price job, and gained ease. They won in that they got rid of a problem that only gets harder to deal with the larger it gets. Those blackberries were probably 10' tall in places.

Way less work and risk than treework. A very niche piece of equipment for a problem in our area, small, light, narrow/wide, agile, tracked.

Little coordination with an employee. "take the brush cutter, clear around anything we want to keep", ... plastic covered green house, overgrown plants, faucets, overgrown pallets, pots, etc.

The Ogre takes care of all the coarse scale work, lickety split. I can let my mind wander a bit, not having to focusing on coordination of crew-dependent tree operations. Kinda nice and low pressure. Balances the tree work, some.

Not fancy work, but easy. People are so satisfied to have a lot of their real estate opened back up.

A lot of hand work or herbicide to dig/ kill roots. They will be part of their own reclamation project. Ownership through sweat, for them. I twiddled my fingers, and pretended I was riding a horse, or something.

Wasn't dog tired after work.

Back