The Official Work Pictures Thread

The bearing would be less likely to deform under shock loading I think. The spindle & how it is fixed though the side plates would be my concern in a dynamic situation. As blocks for rigging are constructed very differently to rescue pulleys even if the SWL is the same.

Damn near taken whole trees apart with a pinto rig and loopie. Just cut accordingly.
I have a pinto as well I use for really quick light rigging. Both are wonderfully light and smooth.

The bearing would be less likely to deform under shock loading I think. The spindle & how it is fixed though the side plates would be my concern in a dynamic situation. As blocks for rigging are constructed very differently to rescue pulleys even if the SWL is the same.

That's what I was told on my Loler course.

Hopefully no one is going to snatch huge lumps on a pinto or an x ring, proper blocks have their place.

I've been using a retired cambium saver and karabiner as a redirect and for lightish lowering. The world has continued to turn.

When I say redirect I meant of the lowering line.
On the subject of my innovative brilliance here's an experiment I tried the other day.
Using my neck as a friction device for the lowering rope.
Pic upside down I expect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 74
My mate back in the UK used to work alone a lot, anyway he had to lower a limb but for one reason or another he was going to lower it by hand. The rope was in the way of the saw cut so he put the rope in his mouth while he cut a bit, hoping that it would break away slowly and he could move it from mouth to hand.
Cue an emergency trip to the dentists for some displaced teeth. Ouch!

Damn near taken whole trees apart with a pinto rig and loopie. Just cut accordingly.
I have a pinto as well I use for really quick light rigging. Both are wonderfully light and smooth.

exactly, I'm not afraid to use the block if I feel I need one. I also am not afraid to use the pinto if I feel the block is overkill.

I've lowered off of all kind of ridiculous crap earlier on. Right down to steel snaps tied to a piece of half inch line as a sling. You can get away with a lot of dumb combos if you use your head and know how big you can and can't go. I used to love the heck out of 1" nylon slings with a steel screw gate biner for light lowering.

I don't rig off dumb improvised gadgets anymore. More often then not, a crotch or a neighboring tree.

We had an Ecologist out on site with us Friday, here's a picture of Mike with an endoscope checking for bats, we didn't find any. I have a great picture of the Ecologist struggling to prussik up 9mm Beal static line with no helmet, can't post it though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 71
I had a bat check job once, new motorway on the south coast, they'd left 3 or 4 big oaks standing, everything else flattened.
My job was to take a little mirror and look in some holes. Never found any, they'd have knocked them down anyway.
Arse covering exercise of course.

Does the UK work hard to protect bats, apparently? I didn't know that. Cool, I say. Hurt the environment, hurt yourself.:drink:

Well in England, where it's so much more populous than France for example, there is a lot more pressure on wildlife.
So they try hard to keep what they have.

They have very strong legal protection Cory. Due to the land pressures of a small crowded island & some over judicious pesticide usage, there numbers plummeted. They are making a steady comeback after some effort by the Eco-mentalists. We have a maternity roost here at the house & in summer when they fly out to feed we counted around 200 pipestrels - a great sight

Bats are a protected species, here.
So anytime we come across a possible nesting tree, we can only fell it in certain months, outside breeding season and when it is cold enough for the bats to fly off in search of new housing.

We were working on yet another development site, former farmland sold for housing, massive pressure on former field row Oaks and Ash.

This is the stag head Oak, Mike removed all the dead and I'm currently burning it in my wood burner, scorchio!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 82
Stig, do you try to rattle them out somehow, before felling?

I've only cut one tree which I know to have had bat(s). It flew off after a bit, if I recall correctly.

Back