The Official Work Pictures Thread

Felt that same way a couple days ago. Felled a 48" DBH crispy dead grey pine. Put a rope in it, made my cuts and found a nice safe spot while Rob pulled it over. Watched the stump fail and it hit 15* from my intended lay. Still safely down. I only had a well and septic to worry about.. That feeling of whew, its down.

9aecec52cea3912d718dd1a22fe92ecb.jpg

A tip that might help people, and a new idea which I haven't tried yet, not dreamt up in an armchair, but while mentally examining the forces on the willow from the zipline, and keeping an eye on my rope lanyard, if I had to make a panic-cut and swing, if something went south...

Nearby to Will, at his 10:00 position roughly, I had him anchor an orange piece of short, multipurpose rigging rope and large biner to the deciduous tree, and had him operate from out of the crash zone and shatter area. It is simply attached to the tree with a RB, then the large biner is clove-hitched on and ready to serve as either solely a redirect with a small amount of useful friction bending around the biner, or its quickly switched to a munter-hitch. This biner-to-anchor distance is fully adjustable. I wanted zipped pieces to clear the other willow trunk (other co-dominant leader) that was nearly in-line with zipline. Easy, just adjust the biner on the clove hitch to the desired location. I wanted piece to crash away from the sprinkler system (heads marked with cones), as well.

There is a Garta Heart/ Garta hitch https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...e=univ&ei=aJu6VMT1Mob4yQSt4YLIDQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ

that is used to advance rope well one direction, and lock the other direction.

When I was getting to the small top, above the rotten, hollow trunk, I moved the zipline top-anchor point from my trunk (to be topped) to the other willow trunk (left intact to be felled into the woods) for less shock on my lanyarded-into rotten/ hollow trunk. This resulted in slack in the zipline system, as the anchor trunk was closer to the ground anchor, and the working piece coming from the far/ outside. I barely grazed the roof with a small tip already on the last zipped piece, oops. You know that sound a gutter makes when kissed by a tip.

This is where you need rapid slack removal, like on a GRCS, with a little, up to lot of friction to resist the shockloading of the zipped piece when it loads the line.

I was thinking that a 90* bend around the biner was too little slack, and a munter, if Will held too hard, might be too shocking (likely deadwood above could fall out of the crown onto me).

I was thinking about a double clip through the biner to get a 'round turn' around it. Might work, sorta like that ox block device. In my head, this seems like it could lock up if easily clipped in the wrong orientation between the loaded zipline side of the rope, and the brake-hand side of the rope. This will need hands on testing.

The garda hitch might be useful when you need rapid slack removal, and don't need to release it.

I'm going to take a couple pics and post from my phone.

d9ce185078ff7b00e64169af015aeb39.jpg
19e6e97f00a238661ecbb2b7235b0700.jpg
f344842222d05b917952d68d98d71907.jpg

It seems like one round turn might allow you to pull some slack in but have a better ability to hold back against the loading of the line. Generally speaking, when space above an obstacle isn't critical in the rigging points are solid, a munter hitch is just fine, or for lighter pieces a simple redirect works great for tight quarters landing zones.

At T post picket anchor works great for positioning a speed line . In this case I didn't have one with me and there was irrigation and septic nearby which I didn't want to puncture with a t- post.

Cory, what's the story on that critter in your avatar?

It's Gwen the badger, from a backyard zoo in Maine, Bob there owns the zoo, it was recently featured on Animal Planet, called 'Yankee Jungle'

P.S. Garda hitch works best with two, matching oval carabiners. Looks like it works well with rings, too. Seems it works well for adjusting hammocks. Thanks, Google Images!

That is Bob. Just watched a new episode from his show, anybody see it? He's a cool guy.

I would think so. Bob handles/interacts with all his animals, most of them were born and raised there by him and his wife. Includes wolves, tigers, lions, bears, cougars, leopards, and a hyena, though the hyena passed away of old age. Lots of primates too.

image.jpg image.jpg
My fun for the day. Two houses, aluminum fence, trellace, and deck below.
image.jpg
What I had left to stare at during lunch.
It was dark when I finished for the day. It's down to a 15' stub. Gonna have to double up the rigging for the last few hangs and then push cookies onto straw bales placed on the deck. I really wish the boss would have less faith in me sometimes. Or get a damn crane!

That would be a 4 hour minimum for the crane, say $700.00 at most, plus the day rate for the tree crew, then go do a small easy job to fill out the day.

Nice job though in a tough setting.

I never really have work pics. This is as close as it gets. About 120' white pine. It was a good 42" at the felling cut. All done. Stump ground.

We don't get a whole ton of biggish trees around here but we get some white pines and sycamores that get some size to them. My avatar is 12 foot logs from 4 white pines I climbed and took down one time.

Back