The Official Work Pictures Thread

This is the only nice board pic I have loaded. Well, it's going to be a nice board. I cut a ton of wide clear pine this spring. I have some 18"x16' absolutely clear boards in my stack out back.:/:

CSV, I think that is a good plan. There are a lot of good mills out there, but I am extremely partial to Wood-Mizer. :thumbup:

20140418_153426.jpg

Rotten previously topped bigleaf maple. Been roping down and scaring the fence, deck, and power line with some free drops. Day and a half down to the stub at dusk. I confirmed line drop with power Co yesterday. Somehow, they forgot this morning. I just worked over it, and was careful. I had 2-3 feet below one trunk. Really the de-energizing was for clearing the power and comm line corridor with other pruning trees. No sections of line were actually dropped.

777179c2ee0231f5040557cf14dec1d4.jpg
78db86501ae6ac9f4411439b3c522e86.jpg
4f104bc955309324524ba8b1480ca35b.jpg
e94ae260ca6bb2b7d29b319479420f8f.jpg

Chipping at this job and another tomorrow. No climbing.

Pressing time constraints today didn't allow time to test Jamie's oar hybrid.

I used a canopy trunk cinch with a RW, and a high tie on a neighboring cedar.

I will take Kevin B's advice, two bridges. I don't have swivels. A second rope bridge is so easy. I got cluster flicked a decent amount working the handful of leaders.

f4f8b9837f721d5614817ea95802abf4.jpg
e2efdde98e7ddc10d9b6158c2dcea6cc.jpg
54cf164648180cfcd315214f79d759db.jpg

We'll see how the Bagster plays out tomorrow with the mini. I hope the cleat will snag the handles well, as I have done with a draw cord rope through tarp grommets. Huge dead ivy crumbles into too many little pieces.

Looks good Thomas.

Is Cory alluding to not much inner canopy to reduce to?

Is there a way to active ly stimulate dormant buds? Will sun penetrating get them going. I only have one customer with them.

Nothing exciting but a story nevertheless.

Looked at 40 stumps a year or so back.
I came clean and told him that my super junior 25 would struggle with pines of that size and quantity. Fastforward a year and the new grinder was up to the job so I re contacted him.
The sawmill that took them away left a big pile of branches which the client wanted burnt.
So an easy day, did 30 of them, go back Monday tuck the fire in and finish the stumps
Fire was a right sod to start and keep going, wet needles=bad ju ju.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 80
Yeah Norway maple is a pain to reduce properly. Takes a lot of time. The guy I do my side work ( fully insured with all the equipment) with is great a reductions and shaping. I've been getting better at it, but still not my cup of tea.

Day and a half?! Crikey! I've never seen a tree take that long. Was it really that bad? Sounds crazy.

That's not a solid day of production. Climbed cedar to set a solid high TIP, since the maple would be questionable. Delays on the line drop (phone calls to get this in place, pruned three trees for power and internet line corridor from pole to house, new groundy, questionable rigging points, small drop. Neighbor and homeowner interruptions. Had about 6 leads. Very hollow beneath the stump cut, like 18+". Lines stayed up, just cut at the pole.

I'm worn thin and not sleeping well, so kept the pace safe.

Back