The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice job Stig. Those Black pines are beautiful ornamentals, common in the warmer climates of Canada ad the US but our region is too cold for them.

I can see you can't just flop them on the ground while working over those expensive tile roofs.

Finished a kill and called it day. 30" DBH blue oak I had topped for Kat to work on here and there. She is getting more house cleaning so I wanted to wrap this job up. Felled the last 20 plus feet and butchered it up. 3.5 hours and left before the rain hit. Life is good.
Now .... see what happens tomorrow. Walnut dead wood tomorrow and I have a shat load of oak to pick up off that dead bastid job. Should fit nicely on the trailer and the one ton.
Kids made mom some tea for her bronchitis. They picked some fresh mint and I added some lemon. They boiled it and let it steep. Katy was all smiles when she woke up. :)

How much rain have you been getting, is there still a drought issue??

Would there be a market for rough sawn lumber in your area? I see a lot of the trees you take down seem to have nice logs in them. I would imagine ponderosa pine would make some good lumber. What do you do with them now, firewood?

Most folks value the firewood. Not so much pine... But they do. Now we are just getting tons to bring home. Mostly pine. But pine will work on a lot of projects here on the home front. I have got a lot of response and feed back on buyers for pine. So a mill will be ordered soon. I think Rob wants 28" CAP Woodland. Sheds, barns, floors and such are in the works. Rob is practising some timber framing using the Alaskin mill he made. Bigger chipper and ten a log trailer with grapnel will be in the works. One thing at a time,

There are a bunch of people over on the Forestry Forum that have the Woodland Mill. They seem to be happy with them. A decent mill for the price, it seems. I think having a bunch of pine boards stickered in the backyard is like money in the bank.

Dave.. this is two rows deep and more than twice this current.. more coming.. Those are 10-12 feet. What ever the mini will handle. We will even use down to 4' for here. Deck posts and what not. g.
I am taking down ponderosa around 30" DBH average right now. But I can even use 12"

Attachments

• IMG_20140919_171310.jpg
    IMG_20140919_171310.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 64
Stephen you'll certainly keep busy setting up a mill and maybe process firewood. Good way to hold onto good employees keeping them busy when you get a foothold of the market.
Lots of retirees coming looking to build timber frame homes. Lots of nice pine timber frames popping up in this area.

Thats really cool Stephen. My closest mill is 2 and a half hours away. I buy 5000 board feet of rough fir every couple of years from him. I actually grew up next to a sawmill when I was a kid. The old gents died and the mill went with them. The helper had a metal plate in his head so they had to be done cutting by about 10 or so. Otherwise the plate would heat up and he would pass out.

Good luck with your mill when you get it! Maybe you could mail me a small board so I could put it on the mantle!

Might be able to do better than that Jim. ;)
Not many mills left here local. Most are at least a hour out. So maybe.. just maybe. We hope to use the mill to eventually buy a bigger mill and the iron to feed it. Here's hoping. Another retirement plan in the works. :)

I spent a couple of days with my wife's cousin's husband this fall, bucking, yarding, hauling some nice blowdown Ponderosa pine on their place in NE Wa state...and then learning about milling on his Woodmizer. That was a ton of fun, and we cut some 1x22" clear boards to DIE for.

Back