The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yeah they probably have a way better attitude than a lot of the male ops I've worked with over the years.

Yeah Cory, totally know what you mean. BOTS can put a mean hand file on that chisel square tooth… BOTS, was that a 42"bar on your 660? Crazy good pics btw, thanks for the help on that one, so glad it's over.

Yep, 42"...stays on all the time, trees are to big here ;)

Glad I could help out...rain was a challenge, but we got it done!

The female vs male topic reminds me of the book, "Swimming to Antartica;" the author, a girl, did things in long distance cold water ocean swimming that would make Navy Seals pound their chests when done, like swimming 25 miles from the coast of LA to San clemente island, at night, thru great white shark habitat. She was mellow about her accomplishments, which were extraordinary.

I was using a 42" bar last week on a willow, I only have to break it out 1 or 2x/ year. I have found that if it isn't cutting absolutely perfectly, all cutters sharp and equal, then it cuts like a HUGE pita.

Of course every chain should be razor sharp and used so that it tends to stay that way, but I've found if you even "look cross-eyed" at that long chain, it is going to get a teeny bit dull and then, due to the extra long length, it aint gonna cut much of anything, at least in a fast easy way, anyways. Btw the bar is straight and true so that isn't the problem.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

Cory, If the cutters ain't all the same length it will pull to one side. Get a caliber and check them carefully. Most guys file one side better than the other, or get tired after doing one side of a long chain, then one side gets a little shorter, and it pulls to the long side.

The chain looks perfect, but using calipers to check is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

Even though we've all seen chains with rather uneven cutters that nevertheless cuts perfectly.

That's the crazy part, I had to examine the chain super closely to find a few cutters that were just a bit dull (and how they got that way is a mystery, no cuts near ground, nor crotches or dirty wood either). But that thing would cut in like 4" and then dish so hard it basically wouldn't cut more.

Put on a new chain... or flip the chain on the bar and see if it cuts the opposite way when it dishes out. (don't forget to flip the sprocket, too).

;)

Worked with a female operator, but she didn't last. The only one I have seen or heard of in these parts. Work slowed down, being a rookie, probably why she was terminated by the crane company.

On big saws with long bars, I usually get into trouble by letting the engine "hang" on the bar or trying to push the outer end into the tree with pressure on the handles, both of which tend to put torque on the long bar and distort it slightly. I prefer to do most of the cutting with the part near the engine and pull the far end around the tree, letting it cut in when it wants to. This tends to guide the end of the bar into the cut straight, with no torque on it, and usually keeps the cut flat even if it is a little dull. Occasionally I go around a stump twice so I am not forcing the whole length of the bar to cut at the same time, just taking advantage of the length when I get to the center where it is needed. Did this make any sense at all?

Great! Nice addition!

Bet the owners of the vehicles were either sweating it out watching from a distance, or bitching about the dust and debris on their cars as they returned. :lol:

Edit: pic 6 seems to have a guy sitting in the scoop. Obviously no OSHA present where you're from....

Great! Nice addition!

Bet the owners of the vehicles were either sweating it out watching from a distance, or bitching about the dust and debris on their cars as they returned. :lol:

Edit: pic 6 seems to have a guy sitting in the scoop. Obviously no OSHA present where you're from....

Car owners have been advised of the time cutting of trees .... :)

Nice Maxim!

Third pic, boxcut, perfect for hollow trees you want to hold to the stump for as long as possible.

Nice pics Max.

Thanks for postin them mate.

Jomo

STIHL MS 150 TC I bought in July 2013. Since purchasing I changed carburetor settings, change the ignition and increasing window to eject sawdust. Changed the exhaust pipe. Now I am happy. The only downside - long warming up in the cold season. Sorry for bad english ...: (

Back