The Official Work Pictures Thread

Stephen, why is it that you don't hook up with a crane on some of your jobs? You must have mentioned it before, I can't remember. Cranes can sure speed up things when usable.

They can speed things up but I am very limited as to my choice of what I can put on site. The closest crane is a two hour charge to show up and work. I pay both ways of his point of origin. so $300.00 soon as he leaves the shop. Then the clock is ticking on the site. Small crane, 17 ton is it. After that, figure almost four hours charges to have a crane show up before it even sets up. There are larger ones in the valley.
The 17 ton only has a 75 foot boom.. Operator never likes putting on his jib. He has walked away from jobs in the past that need him to put on the jib. I get why though.. Too many cowboys shocking his crane. Can't blame him one little bit.
What Stephen needs logistically......
A larger chipper... Something that will process material faster than what we have now. Or...... Since we have a way to move material faster with the mini, a place with enough room on the job to stage the material.
None of these fix the reach of the crane issue with the "local" guy. But one can work around the reach a tad if you already have the brush down and he is just handling the big wood. This would also cut the crane cost down some, making it an easier sell to an otherwise poor demographic.
IF I can work the local guy on a simpler tree and show him I will be gentle on his rig, the jib could come into play later on once trust is established.
Reach is huge here. Often times, the reason we are hired, is because the crane can not get in with out farming a bigger one in from a more distant place. Something that has to be considered in cost.
In these cases, I often get my charge plus what say 1/2 the crane cost to do them. Mo money for me.
Too many times have I heard that trees were going to have to go or large limbs to even get a crane into play. People move up here to be surrounded by trees. Not a very acceptable solution for them.
So those are some of the issues we face. That and height... Little pondos are 80-90 feet tall. :lol:
Black oaks up here and some Valley oaks can easily hit 85.
So height and reach are an issue.. Often times, you have to just catch the tops on rope, then let the crane pick them from the butt.
Last crane estimate I put out, a crane from the valley would have had to brought in... Reach and weight issues. Canyon oak. Guy under bid me... No biggie. He brought the 17 ton with him and they both walked. Before the first pick. Oh wait.. we need a bigger crane :lol:
Guy ended up calling a full on company he had worked with before on a construction deal and they did the work. No sweat off my back. I ended up being right and got two more jobs out of it even though I never even put a gaff on.

Meh.. just more shat to take care of.
I watch the guys that own buckets up here drive on bald tires and sweat payments. No thanks.
I doubt they cert their rigs regular.

I only say you buy your own because you can't readily rent one. I'd rather rent, too... sorta - but when push comes to shove...

I guess what I am trying to say is the result of looking at my very circumstances and choice of rigs in local.
One crane exists in town... One.. He owns his own and has a tree service that does mostly logging and milling. Rarely will he even roll it for a tree job In Town. He works more 1 plus hours away. Equipment often stays on site.
Next town over.. One crane company... Used to have two cranes.. Now only one. One crane for Oakhurst and Mariposa. That's it.
Next crane company has a few cranes and covers an even larger area. Most crane companies even 1/2 way near here have sold most of their fleet by percentage.
This tells me that this demographic will not support crane work as a whole... I would have to widen my coverage and hire out my crane to other areas and companies. I doubt I would be able to financially support that kind of equipment. Highly doubt.

Nice pics Stephen, gotta love them live oaks, will scratch up your arms something good, climbing/ chipping

Usually make sure I break out the long sleeves for those I assure you. I can play tug o war with poison oak all day and nary an itch. Get me in an interior live oak, good lord... Hives all over.

Cranes use a lot of fuel when on the road. A 25 ton forty minutes driving each way to the job site, maybe close to $100? I was given that figure, but diesel is high here, and maybe a few pints of exaggeration added as well. Maintenance costs are very high to run those animals, one tire will set you back over a grand, possibly well over. No option but to buy when parts are needed and they stick it to you. Something like a little spring can blow you away. Seems like we are lucky, I never hear of added costs due to distance, a day's fee doesn't change, and with lots of cranes around and reduced work needing them since the golden age, rates can be somewhat negotiable. They will come right out and tell you that if the budget for the job is tight, they have a sympathetic ear. I can think of five crane companies that are within an hour of most of our job sites, and they are all running fleets of cranes. You can rent them as well for your own use, if you have the license. Stephen, being very expensive to have a crane come in is certainly a drawback. The answer might not be getting your own rig, but a little competition for the company that does exist. I wonder how that man that doesn't like to have his jib on, is getting his crane shocked? Bad saw handling, saws getting stuck and incomplete cuts, that could get to an operator. Having a system going does help. I think a well executed snap cut solves a lot of potential problems with crane pics. You are highly experienced, it doesn't seem like it would take long to have the trust needed for him to relax about it.

Sean, the three strand is a lanyard I made up just for the crane ride when cabling off. I wasn't using the length for anything else and it turned out to be a good use. i added a bee-line prussic for some adjustment.

Jay, I saw a video from one of our friendly competitors. I would have shut the job off if I were the crane operator. Loads unbalanced, shocking.... sloppy. Scary. The owners showed Rob and I the vid on the camera and we had to really bite our tongue. Holy Crap was the feeling held back.
Him and one other were trained o crane picks by a local that I mentioned that has his own crane. Scary thought. Grapevine tells me they let shat lapse a lot also which is a concern. One guy ran with out insurance for about a year or two. I was shocked he was still using his crane on jobs with out it.
So yeah. He is leery of adding jib due to shocking the crane. Can't say I blame him.

Wonder if the gun shy crane company is refusing tree work that might come directly to them, for lack of having good people to work with? At least in these parts, jobs do come in to crane outfits, especially if they are known for it. They have people they can trust, just need to arrange schedules. Sub out to them and they are happy to have efficient people handling the saws, generally pay quite well. That or they don't get the benefit of the work either. Not a bad thing to cultivate if it is a possibility.

A 17 ton crane is really effective in a really small way. Im not spitting on it right, but beyond a small radius is useless for doing real tree removal. Better than nothing maybe, worth the rates Stephen listed, I doubt it.

We rented a 30 and a 40 ton and the rates were more reasonable than that. They still traveled 90 minutes-two hours each way (and charged) depending on where the job was, but a 30 ton crane blows a 17 ton out of the water in effectiveness. Its not as simple as having the crane though. You need the chipper and the chip capacity. We rolled 2-5 chip trucks deep with one or even two 18" chippers on a crane job. Generally if it wasnt a whole day affair there would be multiple jobs scheduled. It wasnt shocking to dump 50 yards of chips and a trailer or two of wood in a day.

"Hero tree" yesterday, 4ft trunk, 130ft + ponderosa pine right up against home, no room for crane, Bixler speedline every branch to chipper, then dom and co-dom top zip down and call it a day, rigging trunk down tomorrow....nice job Brian :thumbup: :thumbup:....mabey vid soon

Nice pics
This was my yesterday for 4hrs.
nujuhuhu.jpg

Put out more from the wife's in 5min
Not, as the tapatalk new update will take me a few hrs to learn:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Try this???

Nice pics! Here are some of my recent jobs. First is some Pin Oak deadwooding and just some very light thining. This property is gorgeous, the homeowners own 7 or 8 Dairy Queens.
IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2979.jpg IMG_2985.jpg IMG_2986.jpg IMG_2987.jpg

Here are some pictures from a day at our local country club. About 11 removals total, all done in one day chipped almost every piece of wood and had to grind all the stumps. We finished with close to 50 yards of chips.
IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3008.jpg IMG_3010.jpg IMG_3011.jpg IMG_3012.jpg IMG_3014.jpg

Back