The Official Work Pictures Thread

Is it normal to still have snow this time of year? Are you guys sick of snow or is it no big deal???

Not normal. Last year the farmers were seeding at this time. Should be having highs in the 50's. And yes we are sick of it. It started snowing 6 months ago. We usually have 4 seasons. Record low is -63, record high is 124, set in 1935 and 36. So normally a variety of weather. We will probably get to complain about the heat in a couple of months.

Cory,

Our biggest worry now, due to the very late Spring melt, is the fact that all of this snow will likely be gone in just a few days -- once it finally does warm up around here.

North Dakota is extremely flat. All of this snow-melt water is going to begin flowing, and with no place to go, overland flooding will likely become a huge problem. In addition to the melting snow, it's now that time of year when we should be getting Spring rains.....compounding the problem. With the ground still being frozen to a depth of about 5 feet, none of this moisture will soak in.

Joel

We have almost no frost under the snow over here. Everything that has melted so far has pretty much soaked in. Very little runoff, even in streets.

For the first time in 5 years, I got my gear out and got up a tree to help out a friend. I don't have much rigging gear left (got stolen after Hurricane Ike in 2008 ) so I just bombed stuff down and hoped for the best. A few clips. For Austin, this is a big tree. For Germany, this would have been a small tree and easy day.

In sooo many ways, I am glad I don't have to do this work any more. I do miss hurting trees.

My hooks got lifted too in 08, so I did the next tree with old Klein hooks that had pads from the 70's. They were painful and ancient so only got used when I had to.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R_rbF6TNWZY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TBH, I woulda kilt that tree (just like my avatar) with my 16" 200. I hate packing big saws around.

I admit. Im guilty of running my climbing saw in a tree until its absolutely too small. Im not in a hurry to burn my shoulders out in life.

I like the extra poke of a big saw. I don't find it any rougher on the shoulders. It does push you to be more efficient about cuts.

Some of the Aussies I worked with never climber with anything smaller than a 044.

Plus I have the 460 mag and it never (ever) gets used..... still I can't bring myself to sell it.

Hell Im only 29. Shoulders feel excellent. But, since birth, Ive watched climbers show signs of age and wear and tear as time has gone on. Im hoping to avoid those beat shoulders.

Ok, I'll admit I have shoulders and plenty of muscle at the moment, it is all store bought and gym made. None of it is from work, I push pencils and telephones around all day.

This is a one off thing for me. In Austin, you could TD most trees to the stump and never need more than your ms200.

Heck, I was just all happy that for once I actually had something tree related to post.

Nate, this is totally off topic, but I'm wondering if you grew up in Austin? I just realized we are the same age. It's possible we could have bumped into each other many many moons ago.

Here are some work pics from this week. Took down 8 trees for a retirement community. They need to expand their parking area for their health center. It was a really nice job and the new truck is working out awesome. I didnt have enough height for a couple of the trees so I had to rig those out. Took us 3 days and that included hauling the wood, grinding the stumps, and hauling out all the grindings.
IMG_1954.jpg IMG_1955.jpg IMG_1959.jpg IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1965.jpg IMG_1966.jpg IMG_1969.jpg

Nice! Loving that new crane man, you have quite the equipment line up going there!

Just curious, have you guys thought about a grapple for the end of the boom? I've seen a few k-boom guys get one, speeds up the log loading process by a good bit.

Good idea! I imagine they might do that after they recup a bit from the initial expense of the boom purchase.

Nice! Loving that new crane man, you have quite the equipment line up going there!

Just curious, have you guys thought about a grapple for the end of the boom? I've seen a few k-boom guys get one, speeds up the log loading process by a good bit.

Thanks man I really appreciate it! We actually have a grapple for the truck already, I just didn't take it the first day. We used it the last 2 days for loading wood and it is sweet. Much faster than choking every piece and only takes 5 minutes to switch between the hook and the grapple.

Back