The Official Work Pictures Thread

I thought you were going to climb on that rope, in SRT ascent.
TIP= Tie in point.
I made a typo.

Now yoiu know why I screamed: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! at the computer.

I’d be comfortable with a healthy white oak, wrist size union, loaded in compression. Even more so if it would catch in another union a few feet down. Or, if it was through other unions as well. Certainly wouldn’t do that on a willow or poplar or anything dead. Not that I’m anybody or have in depth knowledge and experience like so many in here.

On the other hand, you do passive aggressiveness really well.
Something to be proud of, I'm sure.

I couldn't see the TIP as being useful for climbing or pulling. Though white oak is strong, its still oak, which splits easy if force is applied to small crotches. I had a white oak do that to me on a rigging point.

Different kind of work. Neighbor had a 22’ flatbed with a very capable winch. We cleared a dual blowdown across a creek. Root plate intermingled and the large ash co dom was above the walnut. Of course John was there! Thank you John! We managed to get a 16” x22’ black walnut log out. And quite a bit ash and walnut firewood. Chainfall on a poplar to elevate the walnut so the winch could pull it up the bank. Went a little better than expected considering how these things can go. Only injury was John’s 36” bar. Not good but definitely not the worst.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
Had a job today on a housing estate.

As is the way with these collective housing estate, just like arseholes, everyone has an opinion. They guys where run ragged between residents, most neighbours and the board and caretaker on Monday and Tuesday.

Today was left a pretty decent sized Copper Beech tree. Surprisingly enough all the residents, Board and caretake were in agreement. Make it look nice, cut back from building and light thin and deadwood.

All to allow some light into the apartments behind.

So we did just that, they were happy and we had a pretty early finish.

I forgot to take before pictures as it looked like rain and we wanted to crack on.

IMG_8734.jpeg

IMG_8736.jpeg

IMG_8735.jpeg

We were initially instructed to take the nipple off the top, I.e. reshape the top titty bit. The residents decided against it as it would have added to the amount of foliage we removed and wouldn’t really have given them any benefit in terms of light.

Last edited:
Mick, who is the young fellow?
He’s my groundsman (started October last year)
The last one left, which while I breathed a sigh of relief the drama was over, left me in the lurch.
I advertised on FB and Jaques had an interview, I initially thought him too young to be insured on the vehicles (18 years old) but my insurers were ok with it.
Very pleased with him, he’s committed, hard working, careful with machines and good with a saw.
Really nice to have a young person with interest and drive, gives me a real boost.

IMG_7897.jpeg IMG_7899.jpeg
Nice easy crane removals in a retirement community today. I even dusted off my spurs and harness today for the first one. Chased the pill the entire time and kept the ground busy. Felt good but I’m paying for it now.
I think I’m going to charge an admission fee for the show next time we’re in there. I’m pretty sure I could double my money on the job

Back