The Official Work Pictures Thread

I like that set up Rajan. I still dream of having a spider lift in my arsenal some day.

Was a good day. Cloud covered and colder than yesterday, but no wind. We got a lot done. The bank was a bit steeper than we anticipated so made things a challenge. Had to plan out how to stage loads along the hill to move it to the next location to do it again and again till it finally made it to the guardrail. I enjoyed it. Also the boy and I got the pinewood derby car rough cut and sanded down. Pretty basic but I told him to stare at it tomorrow and see if he wants to change anything before we put the paint on. He’s wound up now because I told him we were going to the jujitsu gym in the morning.

John and I removed a smaller, dead Norway maple. Only had to rope one limb to keep it away from the neighbors tractor as well as causing damage to the pines. I thought 3-4 hours but it was 6. We weren’t in too much of a hurry though.

Attachments

• IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
I fully agree with @Burnham. You make that log dolly earn its keep for sure!

Got two questions for you @flushcut.

1) is box elder good firewood? I think I remember hearing that it is.

2) Would a larger, maybe heavier duty log dolly be worth the time and effort? I'm just thinking a slightly larger footprint to minimize ground impact, but maybe that's not an issue.

Answer:
1, boxelder sucks for firewood, burns quick, and smells funky.
2, flotation comes down to the tire size and air pressure.
Mine are foam filled so that equates to about fifteen psi. I haven’t weighed it but I would guess this comes in around 250lbs. I’ve easily had 3000lbs on it but that sunk the tires in soft ground. Other than that it has pretty good flotation.

Finished my parent’s silver maple today. John was with me (of course) as well as another friend. We had to cut the 52” trunk into manageable sections and jet sled it to the trailer. Had John’s 661 up in the tree. I’d rather a 150’ tall and skinny bigger than a short fatty.

I need work on back cuts using the 36” or 54” bar. The face went in fine but I couldn’t get a level back cut with either bar. Just ended up cutting the snot out of it and it pulled over just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8560.jpeg
    IMG_8560.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8562.jpeg
    IMG_8562.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg