The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks B, makes me feel a little better. I tend to be hard on myself. We did act accordingly to raise, pivot and cut up the offending piece so it felt good to handle the error in such a manor.

I did feel a little better as my friend who sometimes hauls our debris told me that his former tree guy ripped out his service drop (he didn’t see the phone line) and then I just watched a video where a highly skilled arborist pulled out a phone line while rigging a silver maple.

Depending on the species, palm fibers often tear rather than cut, especially if your chain is anything less than perfectly sharp. Multiple plunge cuts work well if your bar is getting pinched. They also tend to have an abundance of embedded sand and other debris which will quickly dull a chain.

The way they grow tends to encapsulate sand etc rather than keep it on the outside of the bark as in an oak or pine?

Ewww! Like I said, palms is just really really big grass. I avoid them. Every one I've ever had the displeasure of climbing had something living in it that I would rather not. Scorpions, tarantulas, spiders, wasps, and once a cat.

Hate climbing up and hearing shit rustle above me, not knowing what it is, or if it's going to hurt when I find out.

Ewww! Like I said, palms is just really really big grass. I avoid them. Every one I've ever had the displeasure of climbing had something living in it that I would rather not. Scorpions, tarantulas, spiders, wasps, and once a cat.

Hate climbing up and hearing shit rustle above me, not knowing what it is, or if it's going to hurt when I find out.
Pigeon 💩 🤮

Years ago, whilst pruning a palm, I had a large rat jump onto my chest, run up to my shoulder and then bail out to the ground. Good thing he was fast, or I might have sliced my arm off trying to get rid of him. And Kaveman is correct; all kinds of nasty things habitate in palms.

I climbed a thicc palm tree two weeks ago and had an Arizona bark scorpion drop out of the top while I was adjusting my lanyard in the fronds. That mofo dropped about forty feet after grazing me and hauled ass into some nearby bushes. Its stinger brushed up against my bicep as it fell. I also got accosted by two pigeons who clearly had some nests up there. I immediately rappelled out as fast as I could and called Dr. Doolittle for further instruction. heh heh

Bark scorpions produce a very painful string, but they are "rarely deadly," which means I could have died but probably wouldn't have. Either way, I'm all set with palms now. They host way too much fauna.

Bark Scorpion.jpg

Last edited:
I climbed a thicc palm tree two weeks ago and had an Arizona bark scorpion drop out of the top while I was adjusting my lanyard in the fronds. That mofo dropped about forty feet after grazing me and hauled ass into some nearby bushes. Its stinger brushed up against my bicep as it fell. I also got accosted by two pigeons who clearly had some nests up there. I immediately belayed out as fast as I could and called Dr. Doolittle for further instruction. heh heh

Bark scorpions produce a very painful string, but they are "rarely deadly," which means I could have died but probably wouldn't have. Either way, I'm all set with palms now. They host way too much fauna.

View attachment 135701
I've had the pleasure of seven different species of scorpion, in Arizona alone.

Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Was. From. Not. Checking. Clothing. Before. Donning. Said. Clothing.

Shake out your boots, your pants and your shirt!

The worst are the little burgundy bastards. Two weeks of convulsions, puking, shitting, fever, and hallucinations. No fun. There's an whole long sordid story there. Put shortly, I was stuck in the Hellsgate Wilderness, with two guys barely able to keep me alive, let alone pack me out. Lucky to have come out of that one with no (obvious) permanent damage.

So, what is it about palms that makes them a critter haven? Lack of other options, or is it something about them that makes them more suitable than trees?

It seems like its aways when I get out of bed in the morning when they get me. Spent part of my childhood as a boy scout and lived in deserts. I know to check my clothing and shoes. But a could time Ive been got just putting my bare feet to the floor. Mother fugger that is no way to wake up in the morning before you start the coffee...

and people wonder why I like cold places. Most Finns have never seen a scorpion in their lives, or anything else venomous as far as that goes.

Back