The Official Work Pictures Thread

John and I trimmed up a cherry blossom to get it away from the shed and give us room to fall one or two of the four willows. Then, the one ā€œtestā€ limb didnā€™t hinge worth anything, anything! It was maybe 6ā€ dia. Put the hinge in the middle and left it at 30% thickness. John tugged it with the bull rope away from its lean and it still fell to its natural lean. Any felling was then out of the question as they wanted to crush the sheds. I knew willow sucked for hinges but didnā€™t realize it was THAT bad.

Tell you what, that wet cherry had the same friction as ice. Ive trimmed maybe 4 of them but always dry.

Those willow tops were all tangled and moving all around, crisscrossing each other. Lots of rigging. Full 8 hr day. Need to wrap it up tomorrow after rain. Terribly slow for a production tree crew but not bad for an older surveyor and plumber.

Attachments

• IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7696.jpeg
    IMG_7696.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7697.jpeg
    IMG_7697.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
Willow is one I've actually worked with. It sucks. Reminiscent of Cottonwood as far as brittleness, bad hinges, that sorta thing. Also smells really bad. Like almost sewage smelly...
I would like to identify this species. Itā€™s not our native Salix Nigra and itā€™s not weeping. They grew to approximately 50ā€™ in 10 years by a stream bank (natural habitat). Maybe my identification apps can help.

How do they sell in your area?
I havenā€™t tried to push them other than a post on the local FB yard sale group. Got a lot of interest. I have sold small batches like that several times. One batch of 160 large ones. One lady wants some for pavers. My wife has been sick but once sheā€™s better she will start pushing them more.

Lots of the older caterpillar production floors use wood pavers, excellent shop floor. Much easier on you than concrete, they just don't like water very much, a line will leak and it'll swell up the floor. They use 4x4s on edge bedded in sand.

Donā€™t look like much but John and I finished up the 4 willow removal and cherry trim.

We tried out the Magic Cut (we think). Seems like a regular felling cut with a Dutchman combined with a snap cut.

First time using 2 rigging points (besides redirecting) to add strength to a codom (pull them together) in a negative rigging of a top. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 7
I would like to identify this species. Itā€™s not our native Salix Nigra and itā€™s not weeping. They grew to approximately 50ā€™ in 10 years by a stream bank (natural habitat). Maybe my identification apps can help.
Can anyone id this willow from wood pieces?

IMG_20231203_140418058_HDR.jpg IMG_20231203_140400947_HDR.jpg

I'm not really that familiar with with willow. I see it around, but don't mess with it much. I cut some dead willow at work, and then this stuff. I burned it once, and that was a stinky burn. I didn't notice any bad smells cutting the willow in this thread.

Back