The Official Work Pictures Thread

all im saying is, its funny cuz its true, heres the actual into to the level 2 European Chainsaw Certification course

Seems legit, basic trading on techniques and stuff, what’s funny about that?
in the US, we do 3 cuts usually, 2 for the face and one in the back, VERY rare to do the side snip, mark the hinge, shave the lower twigs off, adding a snipe, marking the lay with a hammer
we might do a sizwheel or a snipe sometimes on real critical stuff, but I cant remember last time I needed to, just cut the thing down already we are paid by the tree not by the hour

i have seriously watched some german dudes spend 30 minutes dropping a 12" tree in a forest, with probably 30 cuts, measuring, marking, and it still didn't go where he wanted, but its OK he's decked out in all his high vis and had 12 guys with clipboards watching

think he had this going on too!
1701367578038.png

edit, in the video his bar is too long, thats a small ~14" tree, he should be using a 6" bar obviously!

I always clear the trunk. Before I even think about gunning it, I clean that tree as high as I can comfortably reach with my 32 inch bar, and my 6'2" frame. Seen some guys get bad hurt by low limbs they could have cleared.

A 32" bar on a 500i is something of a pain in the back, if you're dropping 12" trees, trying to leave low stumps. But it's nice to buck standing up.

I like a long bar when I'm working a log deck too, they don't kickback near as badly, or maybe they're just more recoverable when they do.

for a long bar, it has to rotate further before the saw turns the same number of degrees

say a 12" bar has to rotate 36" at the tip to turn the saw 90 degrees upon kickback, a 36" bar now has to move close to maybe 8 feet, also moving much slower because the lever action, long bars are safer than short bars
I can only talk so much crap as I do have an 881 with a 20" bar as my main work saw, and yes kickback is friggen scary with that combo

I think I figured out why the EU uses small bars, its because those dang Husqvarna's can't pull a long bar :D

joking aside we love the europeans just as much despite their lack of longer bars, no homo

Working trees in the dark, especially climbing or chainsaw aloft or on the ground, is nuts. No matter how good the artificial lights, there will always be bad shadows and that's a recipe for mistakes.

Rake to your hearts content :D.
lights from below are terrible but with a good headlamp the only sketchy thing (that i try to avoid) is throwlining as it can be very hard to see what you hit obviously. but cutting and technical rigging did‘nt raise the risk above our acceptable level. some tree‘s will be more dangerous than other‘s just like when it‘s light out.

have you compared it to a 20“ bar on a 462 size saw? i would‘nt be surprised if the difference is negligible as long as you don‘t put a 10 rim sprocket on the 881
ive run the 20" on my 500i, its fast but not quite as fast as the 81

the difference, the 881 is a low RPM saw but wicked torque, I can bog it down easy with a 20" chain with low rakers, it eats!

Hazard reduction pruning on crusty veteran doug-fir. Tv antennae still up there.

I pruned it.
She took a run up a on trunk cinch and doubled down in two stages. Rope was just short for MRS. I could reach the ground while working, easily.

View attachment 134110View attachment 134111View attachment 134112View attachment 134113

Wish we had an "Ick" button. I hate metallic trees!

We had a guy come through my area 50 years ago, convincing people to put lighting rods in their trees and on their houses. I've spent countless hours pulling staples and nails to get those things out of the pines, only to find more iron in the trunk with the chain! Damn carpetbagging bastard!

It's been a while since I cut trees for a living but last night a buddy sent me this picture. It is from the first job I ever did with him. A big corner lot with a half dozen camphor trees, they were bulldozing the house and needed all the drees dropped. The climber couldn't do it all in one day so they brought me in to help. We even got to drop trees on the house!

400859159_734623311851118_5947433655224264305_n.jpg

Yes. ,,In recent years, the problem of drying up of elm plantations has been acute in St. Petersburg. The cause of the mass death of elms is the Dutch disease, or graphiosis of elms, which is spread by sapwood beetles. In elm plantings, Dutch disease and sapwood are spread in the form of foci – clusters of affected trees. The area of spread of graphiosis across the territory of St. Petersburg is increasing every year - the number of foci of the disease and their size are increasing, more and more elms are dying.

Southeast Asia is considered to be the birthplace of the pathogen of the Dutch disease, since resistant species of elm are known for this region. From there, the marsupial mushroom Ophiostoma elm got to Europe, presumably with baskets of elm twigs, in which Chinese workers hired to build defensive structures during the war transported things.

In Europe, elm disease first appeared in 1917-1919 in the Netherlands, which is why it became known as Dutch. In the 1930s, with loads of logs, the causative agent of Dutch disease was introduced to North America through the ports of the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. This disease in the sixties of the twentieth century led to the death of a huge number of elms in the northeastern United States. In the 1960s, the re-import of wood from the United States to Europe caused the spread of a more aggressive strain of ophiostoma. Another outbreak of Dutch disease essentially destroyed the elm forests in the south of Great Britain in the 1970s and early 1980s. Europe has lost about 70% of its elm plantations.

In 1936, the Dutch disease reached the western regions of the USSR and southwest Asia. The infection spread through the European part of Russia from south to north. In 1967, the first pinnate-branched elm trees with signs of Dutch disease were discovered in the Volgograd region.

Elms appeared in the historical gardens of St. Petersburg in the first third of the XIX century. Two species were planted in the city – smooth elm (fig. 1, a) and rough elm (Fig. 1, b). In St. Petersburg, elm sapwood trees (carriers of graphiosis) were the first to appear - in 1995 they were discovered on elms in Pushkin. 7 years later, in 2002, the death of elms from Dutch disease began to be actively registered. In the park of the Forestry Engineering University, about 70% of elms died in the period from 1995 to 2014. Currently, old-age elms in the historical parks of St. Petersburg are massively dying (Summer Garden, Catherine Garden, Mikhailovsky Garden, Alexander Park, Tauride Garden, etc.). Dutch disease destroys trees in young elm plantings along streets in all districts of the city. In 2016, about 800 foci of Dutch disease were registered, and this is far from a complete picture.,,

Back