The Official Work Pictures Thread

We have tons of osprey around here. That job I've been doing near the water is loaded with them. There's a couple big wetlands on site, and it's close to the harbor, so you might see a half dozen aloft at one time, and a score more perched on trees and poles nearby.

Are you using any dead branches? The Bald eagles here strictly use dead branches for their nests.
Nope.
What we do is make a platform out of branches zip-tied together, that we hope will inspire the Eagles to build on top of it.

@stig that is a beauty. When was it planted, do you reckon? I still have a hard time understanding how we have off site issues here with planting DF stock from as close as the west side to the east side of the Cascades, from the same elevation bands and at the same latitude...and places like Denmark and Scotland can grow lovely DF, totally off site :).

I don't have the map of the forest with details, but I'll ask the forester tomorrow.

Far as I know, outside of the US and Canada, France has the most Doug fir.
I know the seed section of Copenhagen university , that I sometimes climb for, has it's eyes on a stand of beauties down there.
So far, no cones.
But they have asked if I was willing to go down there, when the trees decide to propagate.

Go to France on the university's dime to climb...........................twist my arm!!

Perfect!
Gotta love it. The professional tells them they have a hazard tree , then backs it up.
Good on ya, as Fiona would say.

@stig that is a beauty. When was it planted, do you reckon? I still have a hard time understanding how we have off site issues here with planting DF stock from as close as the west side to the east side of the Cascades, from the same elevation bands and at the same latitude...and places like Denmark and Scotland can grow lovely DF, totally off site :).
About 120 years old.
When I asked the forester, he told me they had a fine Sitka spruce, too.
then showed it to us: 20231120_083130.jpg

Funny thing is, those seeds were not chosen for altitude of the mother tree or anything else.
They were simply the first seeds to arrive from Western US and were planted here and there.
Talk about being lucky!

Was there an overall goal planting non native trees, or was it just cause they wanted some cool new trees?

Seeing them in the place where they originated, who wouldn't want some?
They just thought to give it a try.

Worked out well, mature Doug fir ( 60 years and upwards) are almost the most valuable trees in the woods here, only surpassed by prime quality old (200 years) Oak.
So growing Doug fir is a better investment.
The 140000 trees that we start planting tomorrow is: Sitka, Doug fir and Larch.
I'll be planting for the next 2-3 months.
Give me a chance to balance out my karma.

@Mick! was it tricky saving the pavement when you fell the trunk?
We used logs as a shock absorber, near the building it was already loose, further out the tarmac was newish so couldn’t be smashed.

When you look at the photos you sort of think “yeah, that’s droppable in one” as I often do looking at other people’s, but trust me, it was out of the question in this case

Beautiful Norwegian day today. Still, cold and sunny. Well, could have done being a bit warmer but once we got going it as warm enough.

Removed a Poplar today on the edge of their property. A fair bit over the road was free dropped and then speed lines the stuff over the house and bushes.

The tree roots have been cracking the tarmac and driveway, hence the reason for removal. An added bonus was we could just dropped lumps without fear of complaint as it is getting re surfaced.

I forgot a before pictures, first picture was a tea break and to empty the truck, so I took the dog for a walk. We were a man down today as some lightweight cannot handle his beer 🥲

Back tomorrow to get the stem down and load up the logs.

IMG_7829.jpeg

IMG_7830.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_7836.jpeg

IMG_7832.jpeg

Its nice having the dog come to work, but when you get down out of the tree and are looking forward to a cup of something hot and a sarney, it can be a pita stretching his legs and watching him piss.

Back