The Official Work Pictures Thread

Speaking of ladders I had a custy from the Netherlands who shipped one over from his home country. It was a Cadillac of extension ladders with 3 sections, a flared base and a simple operation with no pulley or rope. Aluminum but felt as sturdy as fiberglas. It was a pleasure to use.

I use the tautline loads around the house and at work, just not for climbing anymore.

Same, so much so i try to teach it to apprentices if we're using a rope enough. Often even tied with a bight, very handy knot for so many different things.

only picture from today that I would post, no room for the bucket to set up with the chipper in a spot where we wouldnt wreck the house with brush, so I had to shuffle stuff around all day, had to set up with 2ft of cribbing under the bucket to get level

basically took a rotting maple and turned it into a 30ft circle of tangled brush with a peg in the middle, despite the mess it still only took an hour and a half to chip this 36" DBH 60ft tall sugar maple, and ZERO lawn damage whatsoever
had to haul the logs and brush but got to leave the twigs and pine needles from this white pine we trimmed back off the roof (neighbors tree, had to take a lot off, massive pine)

it was one of them days where it all want pretty good but not exactly in the conventional "perfect" way, I did what had to be done and nobody got hurt, tree is down and im paid so all's good, did have one hell of a time with flopping the peg, it was so out of round that I couldnt get my cuts to match up (double cut), eventually said to hell with it and pulled with the excavator, apparently it was more rotten than I thought and I just ripped the codom in half!

oh and after we got done my helper said "why did you have me work today? all I got to do was stand around and watch the excavator, any time I looked for stuff to move the machine already had it gone!"
1699491414964.png

Last edited:
@WoodCutr
Must’ve been really sketchy because I can’t even view the pics

Maybe deleted right after posting
yes, deleted after posting, honestly dont remember getting far enough to post, figured it was a bad idea to post it
I was working off the back, the tires didnt really need cribbing BUT I put it there anyways since I had it and I hate that teetering feeling

Not to terrible. I’ve seen much worse. Just don’t make it a habit.
I had a similar setup going when my outrigger cylinder came apart and I didnt have a machine to dig a 6ft deep hole, sometime in the month or so it was stuck on that cribbing a big storm came through and hit the truck with about 70mph winds broadside, the stack held fine

I agree, dont make a habbit of it! wish I had storage for more 24-36" 4x4's, ive got the short 6x6's to take up lots of height quickly but they sketch me right out

having proper outrigger pads has been a godsend for stability of cribbing towers and spreading the load if I have to span block

edit: felt like I was operating on this, and I didnt go up till I ran it from the ground controls at every possible position
1699492759380.png

Weld some angle on top of the toolbox, then you can stack cribbing there and just bungee it down.

Weld some angle on top of the toolbox, then you can stack cribbing there and just bungee it down.
you see the box on the headache rack? that is FULLLLL of cribbing, cannot fit another piece in it

30 something 4x4s, 5 little 6x6 blocks, and some little 2x4 and 1x6 stuff to fill in the gaps
I might just do that angle iron cribbing rack, I just gotta see about boom clearances
I already built an outrigger pad rack but havent gotten around to installing it, the deck holds them just fine for me
would like to have capability to have more 4x4s purely because I can make a much more stable stack out of those than I can by mixing sizes, my crane guy shows up with probably 80 or so 4x6x36, last job we did with him we used almost all of them

That's the thing, you have little chunks, which are unsuitable for cribbing stuff like that, you need longer pieces that can spread the load out. If you had actual skids, say 4 feet long, you'll get a bunch more on there than filling a toolbox. Lots of cranes around here run angle "boxes" of cribbing, and will often have them installed any place they can sneak one on. That way you can build an actual crib, and can easily carry them. Another idea that works really well is just to have a stack of cribbing that you bring out on a trailer or truck when you need them. Put 2 pieces down for your forks or straps to get under them, then stack a row 90 degrees all the way across. The next row is turned 90, then next row turned 90, for as high as you need. Tie downs over the top, you might need to crib the stack with a couple skids so it puts pressure evenly and immobilizes the stack, then on the job just pick up the pile with the forks and throw the bottom 2 on top and you're good to go. We would move skids around all the time like that, makes working with them easy.

I gotta mill up a bunch more white oak, im actually out of 4x4's

I prefer my 36" stuff, but I have all of it in the truck so I filled the empty space in the box with little stuff
to be honest, if I have to go more than 1 row of cribbing its probably well past what one would consider "safe"
generally ive got pads down, if I need more height then I put 4 of the 24" 4x's down under the outrigger, 4 wide is about an inch wider than the float and the pad is 24x24 so having stuff that isnt hanging past the edges is nice
at the point where ive got pads and more than 2 rows of cribbing under the outriggers themselves, im calling the crane company and riding the hook or climbing

Attachments

• 04F00E95-D1D7-425C-BB21-A75DD7B332AB.jpeg
    04F00E95-D1D7-425C-BB21-A75DD7B332AB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • BFE34913-9F7D-417E-A6A0-94C629CB817B.jpeg
    BFE34913-9F7D-417E-A6A0-94C629CB817B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • F8122B6B-12A4-4962-A51F-B94FC32FFC88.jpeg
    F8122B6B-12A4-4962-A51F-B94FC32FFC88.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
  • FBE16A9F-FBA5-4FA3-A8D8-121B61FB93A0.jpeg
    FBE16A9F-FBA5-4FA3-A8D8-121B61FB93A0.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 7F7D1F8D-90CE-4B31-8248-9F9B6ADE690D.jpeg
    7F7D1F8D-90CE-4B31-8248-9F9B6ADE690D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
I gotta mill up a bunch more white oak, im actually out of 4x4's

I like the 4x6, more versatile. Not a crane outrigger, but you get the point, since it's the work pic thread. You want the cribbing to go past the outrigger pad, you're going up so you need to be wider. You'll want full layers not a box crib, but don't underestimate the importance or utility of proper cribbing. Done right it'll make your life easier, done wrong it'll kill you.

Screenshot_20231108-222041_Photos.jpg

You want the cribbing to go past the outrigger pad
unless of course, im stacking 4 wide ontop of the outrigger pad for height
longer isnt always better, no PSI/strength advantage to longer if the pad is touching the ground, but I get your point for the stuff under the tires

the pad goes on the ground, then the cribbing goes ontop, if the 24x24 pad needs a lower PSI then I had to helicopter the truck into that mud pit anyways lol
I use 4x4's due to availability and the fact I can carry about 50% more on the truck in the space I have available
the 4x6's are great for strength and stability, BUT 50% heavier, and for the same number of sticks I need 50% more storage space

The pad goes on top, the cribbing distributes the load to the ground. Longer gives you more area, which distributes the load over a larger area, which is needed for weaker soil conditions. Thinking an outrigger pad is all you need for all ground conditions is simply incorrect and dangerous.

The pad goes on top, the cribbing distributes the load to the ground. Longer gives you more area, which distributes the load over a larger area, which is needed for weaker soil conditions. Thinking an outrigger pad is all you need for all ground conditions is simply incorrect and dangerous.
this is not a crane, this is a 22 thousand pound bucket truck, that is on rubber with fixed outrigger loads, the 24x24 pad is enough, hence my comment about flying the truck in

if I need more than that pad, the truck cannot physically drive into position to set up without sinking, plain and simple that 24x24 pad is WAY more than enough

the pad goes on the bottom to spread the load, then cribbing ontop for height, im not cribbing a 300 ton all terrain up 6ft here, I never go more than 2 layers high with blocks above the pads
the actual PSI from the tires is higher than the outrigger loads on this truck at max reach and max load, if it drove in I do not need pads but I put them down to take up height to avoid over extending the outriggers again which cost me thousands in downtime

we get it, you do big shit, but 90% of what you tell me is overkill for anything I have ever done in my entire life, im not putting down a thousand pounds of cribbing to set this truck up

Back