The Official Work Pictures Thread

The trees were threatening a HV line and the road etc. (If there was a failure, which with pops is inevitable)
Client kept his screen, plus peace of mind.
Yeah, probably not copacetic with ANSI. But, this is one of those times where you have to make the best of a bad situation keeping in mind the homeowner, targets, and the trees. Trying to please everyone the best you can.

Thinking outside the book!

IMG_8809.jpeg I do not know what standards such pruning meets, but these poplars will definitely give abundant shoots. Here it is customary to remove all the thin side branches and leave only the columns. Also, the upper cut should be at an angle of 30 degrees. And a prerequisite for us is to paint over all areas with paint.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Mick, what is your friction hitch of choice?

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Mick, what is your friction hitch of choice?
Blake’s does me fine.
I do have a ZZ on my long line for the big stuff, but have never really got on with it’s self tending.
I keep trying to move, thinking I’ve given myself enough slack, only to find myself stopped short.

I wonder what percentage of climbers still primarily use mrs? Forums are full of enthusiasts, so it's gonna skew to the newest shiniest gear. There's still a ton of people that just go out, do their thing, go home, and don't think about it much after that. I like mrs for short climbs. It's got a lot to offer for mobility and line control.

I'd bet money mrs is far more widely used than srt. My question is, which is more used for mrs- mechanicals or friction hitches. I'd bet friction hitches are more widely used and I'd be the tautline is still #1

I'd bet money mrs is far more widely used than srt. My question is, which is more used for mrs- mechanicals or friction hitches. I'd bet friction hitches are more widely used and I'd be the tautline is still #1
Interesting, but what would be more interesting is to know the ages of the climbers.
My guess is the younger the more likely to use Srt with hardware.
20 years down the line (or less) you’ll get a very different answer.

The FB groups I'm on are all dominated by 20-30 year old climbers on SRT and mechanicals. Most young climbers these days start out with mechanical hitches. Couldn't tie a taut line, blake's or VT if their life depended on it.

It's not just drudgery either; like "I learned this lame shit, and you're gonna learn it too!". It's foundational and has applications in any ropework discipline, even if one doesn't continue using it for climbing.

Was just thinking today how miserable climbing on new 3 strand rope was with a tautline, I only had one of those, soon after came 16 strand braided :rockhard:

I started on a blakes using 1/2" walmart anchor rope before I knew better
now, im fluent in the blakes, tautline, hitches with cord kinda scare me after bad experiences but I do grab one when needed, and you bet I run a mechanical now

sometimes depending on whats going on, if I find out I need a second tie in and my lanyard isnt long enough I will grab some stablebraid bull rope and make it work in a pinch with a 2/1 tautline

but yes, I have noticed the same thing Brian mentioned, about 80% of the new climbers I see cannot even tie a friction hitch or so much as name one, that blakes or tautline has saved my ass so many times

i was gonna say that mick is the only one left, climbing mrs… :)
I almost entirely quit SRT, MRS isnt half as fast up the tree but once im working it takes so much strength to tend slack on limb walks (yes, I know I can Z rig the tail but that takes extra stuff I dont carry up the tree)

I do keep my ropewrench and quickie on my saddle though for when I need to SRT and have my zigzag with me

Back