The Official Work Pictures Thread

Yesterday we had a luxury logging job.
Knock 20 oaks over where the forestry school had done a climbing class.
Basically fell, buck and go on.

The apprentice was somewhat surprised at how hard it is to get a stick like that to tilt.
Then I did a Beranek on him:" Cut some lean into it".

Helped a lot.

P1080954.JPG

Today I had a nice relief from months of , to quote Murphy:" whole scale tree slaughter" and went the complete other way.

The oldest, and we are talking 600 years here, which ought to impress the New World members, water mill in Denmark has a huge Horse chestnut.

Since they also have lots of visitors, I have done a safety check on it every 3 years for some years.
Now the time had come for reducing a couple of long, horizontal branches ( Horse chestnut is somewhat prone to summer branch drop) and installing a Cobra system in the tree.

I brought one of my old apprentices in ( from 98 ) since he is an expert in that.
Had the new apprentice go up with him in the bucket and learn from him.
They both had a great day. Caspar is a good teacher and Emil sucks up knowledge like a sponge.
I directed traffic and was bored out of my mind.

But the local National park paid for the job, and they'll put pictures in the local papers and mention us.
That is the kind of tree that is good for my reputation, to be working on.

P1080958.JPG P1080959.JPG P1080963.JPG P1080965.JPG P1080974.JPG P1080986.JPG

Last edited:
That doesnt look like 7400. Hard to tell from pics though.

Today I guessed the canopy of a long leaf pine to be 2500, it clicked in at 5100 :? never been that far off. Good thing Im hanging it up

Dude buy some chains already those slings terrify me ever since I watched a brand new one melt through itself.....

I always relied on wire rope as my first choice among chokers, they dont't lie.

The only exception I made in favor of synthetic chokers was close proximity to bare high power lines.

Nice pics TreeBilly.

Jomo

A simple SRT advancing trick...

I rotated my line to get a little higher suspension point for my rope while working up.

Sometimes, this eye of rope might be choking over 20' when set from the ground by throw line. If i work my way to the bottom of the circle, i can unweigh the climb line, adjust/ rotate the suspension point, have a high TIP for any needed limbwalking, and go back to work. 20220421_125751.jpg 20220421_125908.jpg

These fir are on the downwind edge of a pond and upwind of my friends'/ neighbor's house. Basic work.

The trunk stubs will become a viewing platform. I will take some logs down the road to my friend's bandsaw to have platform lumber cut.

I can see my house from their trees.

Lot more sun for their, now more spacious, garden. Views of the wetland and sunsets just started getting better.

I worked three trees from one TIP. 20220421_133055.jpg 20220421_201134.jpg

Attachments

• 20220421_125908.jpg
    20220421_125908.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not the first I've heard of sudden abrasive heat melting tenex like polypropylene.

Bends n knots n tenex are iffy at best......

Jomo

Back