The Official Work Pictures Thread

Doug fir leaves amazingly little ash. Zero clinkers. Splits easy. People need backup heat for power outages. Populations and air patterns allow burning in EPA- certified woodstoves most all winter, if not all winter.

I was thinking there was a box elder tree there.

I love trees but box elder seems like a crappy tree

Reactions: Jed
I've heard n seen video evidence of proper European pollarding, in which the arborist/climber leaves one wild un-pollarded hair intact to insure the tree doesn't go into shock.
That's precisely not the proper way. I know it was very common in the country but the "one linb left alone" thing was used to produce firewood in the edges between the fields, instead of wasting a good field/pasture to grow a wood lot. Usually, they harvested the limbs every seven years, (same as the common length for the rent of the farms), keeping the trunks there for a faster regrowth and not disturbing too much the edges. But the tree's health wasn't a concern.

It's very different from the pollarding used in the urban areas or the humanised landscapes, like castle alleys or courtyards. The purpose is to keep the tree always in the same shape and restrained in the same volume (actually oscillating between the "haired" volume and the "bare" volume). The other goal is to keep the tree in the best sanitary state possible, impossible to obtain with hard prunning. The crape myrtle's prunning shown by Mellow is exactly that. It was used with the same technique in the country too, but for production of annual sprouts like wicker (willow) and fodder for the live stock (ash). In these cases, there were just a few heads, or even just one over a short trunk.
Always start with a young tree and begin the prunning when she reaches the "bare" volume expected in the established tree. Then you cut the new sprouts back to the same places, but without touching the collar of every sprout. Small diameter cuts are the best, ideally every year. Every 3 years is a stretch to reduce the cost/worry, but it's less than optimal. Over 6 years, you get allready big regrowth, aka big cuts and good entry doors for the rot, so, basically, you enter in the hard prunning domain.and began to compromize the tree's structure (way too frequent these days).

Tinyhulk, about weakening the trunk, I forgot to mention an other use beside the odd trunk shape : If you have to fell a spar over a bump on the ground a bank, a big stump or rocks. The deep cut allows the trunk to fold over the obstacle and mold itself over it instead of jumping around like a wild cat.

Big thangs!

A few from today...took out the cankered gum and a mess of other stuff.

Attachments

• 20220112_175528.jpg
    20220112_175528.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220112_175620.jpg
    20220112_175620.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (1).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (2).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (2).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (3).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (3).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (5).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (5).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (11).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (11).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (12).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (12).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (13).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (13).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (16).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (16).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
The original plan was to climb above the cankered part (where fungus was starting to grow) and drop it from about 25 feet up. Had planned on two TIPs in nearby trees to prevent being tied to the possibly weak tree. Bore cuts showed mostly white, sound slivers of wood...at one point the offal was brown but still made chips, not dust. So I felt good about sound hinge wood. We scrapped the big topping and set a high pull with a Z-drag assist. I cut while Alex tended the Z-drag and it worked out well. But what a mess. We ended up dropping 3 decent sized trees into the same area. I limbed them and Alex used the excavator to move trunks, limbs, dirt, etc...dug out one stump. And we used the mulcher head on the limb mess since it was going to be rough getting the chipper down to the limbs. Probably got some decent video but it'll take awhile to get to that.

Attachments

• pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (20).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (20).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (21).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (21).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (32).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (32).jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 6
  • pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day  (38).jpg
    pict canker tree removal at Alex 2nd day (38).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Nice video Jomo. How big was that crane? Never dealt with euc but from what I’ve been told they are terribly dense. Those were some huge picks.
EA48E73E-15CA-4325-B1A6-4271D77F05EE.jpeg F4641680-3751-4F82-8238-7344515F9B80.jpeg D4ACA857-2ADB-4CB1-8900-74D6B5DEC9F3.jpeg 10BBD180-E9B3-4568-A8F8-E857F87CF1EF.jpeg
today’s “emergency” tree. A few pics from me climbing and the last one is Cameron chasing my hangers from a slightly beaten maple. He also pruned out the broken limbs. Wasn’t my best performance but it was acceptable collateral damage for the situation. We will finish it next week. Home owners are at ease

Some good stuff gents.
Been busy here. Foot of snow with 60 MPH winds did not do any favors. Got sick right before Christmas and give a lot of the real emergency stuff away. No biggie. Already had a full schedule damn near to march when it hit.
This one I had cabled the leads over the roof. Center split out and laid into the cabled sections. Pool, house, fence and Jaccuzzi under it. Lot of slicing and dicing to get it all apart and lowered out if not pitched out. Had to guy and strap the broken lead.
No crane access. IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG

Back