The Official Work Pictures Thread

What Sean is referring to on my end is most likely this little incident this past summer courtesy of my summer help:

As i recall, the driver dipped off onto the shoulder to avoid rear-ending people, but in the process flipped the chipper onto its side, or similar.

5 months of repair-downtime, or similar.

Hopefully your truck frame isn't screwed. I'd think that kind of impact couldn't leave the frame undamaged unless it had a "breakaway" tow receiver.

I read that a couple days ago. I was gonna post it here, but forgot. It's a nice companion piece to the rats that enjoy driving :^D

Wow Sean. Thanks to you, I love Main now.

Husky D: Thank you so very, very, very, much, man I NEVER see stuff like that.

Had to fall a Maple stem (5 feet, on the stump) and then a full grown Cottonwood (also 5’, but this time dbh) today for Scotty and Brian’s crew. The Cottonpig got away from me a wee bit.😂. 395 with 36. 5lb axe also 36.

7449736E-792D-4560-8039-B0850938A59F.jpeg D12008DE-7222-495E-8B79-18BF4C5BE7C9.jpeg 699E25FD-2D02-46D6-96C6-8AF336F9A589.jpeg 1A8E8D33-EC4E-4323-8FD5-C62443BA7390.jpeg 1B5A0D11-C83C-4D3C-91EC-2822C4C58BA4.jpeg 283CD361-D108-4449-8322-72494A66D05D.jpeg

You do seem to draw the uglies, Jed. Well done on a hard to win situation. My hat is doffed, sir.

I can relate, in that the nastier the hazard tree on USFS ground, the higher the potential damage from a poor fell, then the more likely my phone was to ring with a call for help, back when I was working. Comes with the territory, I suppose...once you have established a reputation, a record of managing the bad ones well, it just happens...in my sphere, and in yours.

I once in a while wondered, after surviving yet another bad tree that could easily kill anyone sent to deal with it successfully, me included, for sure..."would I be smarter to 'eff one or two of these bastards up sufficient to give pause to these calls to yet again put my skill, talent, and luck against the odds"...or just say?" I cannot handle that one." :D

Never was tempted, really. The challenge was the fuel. People who retreat from this sort of risk don't, and thus cannot, ever get near this level of competency...just not in their genes, I think.

Oh...there was that one time. The heritage barn, the impossible to fell without iron that management was unwilling to provide per my requisites. As I recall that one went badly for them, after I walked away ;).

Last edited:
Yup. Walking away can be a good thing for sure. I haven’t yet, due (probably mostly) to ego issues, but I do believe there’s a time and a place. I’ve also never really dealt with old growth.

Big ol girl!

Nice job.

I dont follow why you took the limbs off on 'front' side?

that's what I was wondering but seems like a lot of work to save turf that is probably still going to take some lumps from the rest of the tree falling on it.

Reactions: Jed
Does anybody remember the pictures of the job Butch posted where he undercut a couple big leads on the front side of a tree so when he felled it they folded instead of jamming into the ground and holding the tree up in the air?

That was one of the first things I remember about the MasterBlaster. I found that in the early 2000’s. Maybe 2004. Grainy old video, I think it was on gypoclimber or something.

I remember one being called “lone pull” or something similar. I had them saved on my computer for a while.

Back