The Official Work Pictures Thread

I paid 39.99 at the dealer for the whole package ... I remember him saying this must be a mistake as the clutch cover alone is $80 ! He checked it thrice and sure enuff ... it was all for 39.99 ... must be promotional because it’s a newer release

OK five gauge 3/8 pitch, and 84 drivers, but what chisel sequence do you think would be best for your 572?

(Sorry brothers... this is all voice-texted In haste over my phone and therefore Nauseating to read, but perhaps better than nothing.)

recently I have been trying to make my way through some scrap chain, and definitely ain’t guaranteeing nothing... also… I would never dream of charging you for a single chain, because I just hate the idea of charging for something that isn’t sustainable: I.E. You hit the dirt, and you’re done.

I think it is very important for everyone who uses round chain to know that if one is merely cutting by feel, then very often if not always, round chain will generally have much better “feel,” e.g. “pull” than square. This is because the “hook,” (on round chisel) and almost more importantly, the flat spot on the side plate that the hook produces, Is what is responsible for producing the “pull” that is generally attributed to round ground. Think Buckin Billy Ray’s stand up and buck stuff.The round chain, with the same raker height, generally pulls the user into the wood harder, because of the mechanical operation of the hook of the round side plate. The hook on a round filed side plate is approximately 30°. The hook on a square filed side plate is, believe it or not, about 40°, Even though the top plate angle comes out at only 19 or 20°. and therefore, although it’s severs the wood more expediently, does not pull as hard as the lesser angled round filed side plate. This is really useful for loggers who are working on the landing, who are trying to buck smaller diameter logs to spec with 70 cc motor heads on 32 inch, skip tooth guide bars. They don’t have to be bending over, and they don’t have to physically push the bar into the wood Because the hook of the round chisel is so advantageous for pulling the chain down through the wood. Of course, a guy is sacrificing a lot of Motörhead power for this, but in certain applications, it’s like, who cares?

I remember years ago, when a guy came out from Philadelphia, who is still to this day one of the best overall tree men I personally know Tried out my saw with the square edge… He was like, this chain is lame. I was like, oh yeah, well then let’s go partner. My chain on the same size motorhead beat him through 24 inch wood with about fourSeconds to spare.

if anyone actually reads all of this, I will be totally amazed, but, this is also why a guys raker height is so terribly critical, for the application that he is desiring his chain for, is he crosscutting? Is he ripping? is he making bias cuts, i.e. diagonal cuts? Ie face cuts. I can think of many a round chain guy, who’s saw it was just cracking until he tries to make the diagonal cut on the face. Now he just stalls the motor, and cannot even feather the guide bar with no use of the dogs at all through the stupid diagonal.

in other words Frankie, I now know what pitch gauge and driver count you want, but I would also like to know what chisel sequence and raker height you want.

I will PM you for your address if I can scare up some five gauge, (for some reason our shop only uses 63 gauge) with the type of chisel sequence, and raker height which you might want.

Wow, this was super annoying to read…Sorry boys I will try to get on the laptop next time LOL.
I can send you a few loops of either STIHL RS or X-cut in 3/8 .05 84drivers full-house - I’ll be Buckin clean hardwoods so .026 on the rakers will do nicely ... I can give ya an X-cut loop in exchange for your time filing or $ ... If you have a 3/8 .05 bar it’ll work ... guys are surprised how well it cuts right off the reel - To best of my knowledge it’s the quickest 3/8 .05 on the market right now by about 8%

Sure man, I get free saw chain from my employer, but cannot justify just giving it away, so… If you would just send me the loops (let’s say two or three)
that you would like to have square-filed, and/or ground; and if youwould just include whatever you think would be fair for the return shipping, I would be more than happy to get them back to you in good time.

Please don’t think about giving me a dime, “for my time,”... when it comes to square grind, I’m just pushing my drug anyways.😂

Fair enuff Jedi ... At your convenience pm the address and I will send them out to you - thanks 😊

Reactions: Jed
It’s sad watching the ash decline on such a massive scale. Really changing the look of the area, there’s tons of small wooded areas all over and they’re just packed with these bare dead trees. These were a big part of people’s residential landscape too. Never noticed how many there were until the dead ones became like 80%+ of the work. I used to think that more than half my workload was various species of maple. These days it’s a treat to get to climb a maple or oak.

Kinda neat how so many people are on board with burning it though. So many locals here swear it’s the best firewood on the planet, and I see no reason to try changing their minds :)

Very nice shots there Jed. Really pretty.

I don't have a strong opinion of ash as firewood. I've only burned scraps so far. Makes a heavy as hell 3/4" door though. Milled a bunch of it at work, but I don't know what happened to it. I'm hoping it got used in the barns. I'd be pissed if I found out it got tossed. I'd have brought it home in that case.

I have not. I ran 372s for ages when they were legendary till near their end when they got chitty and hard to start, imo. I switched to 576 and have been very happy with them. You?

Almost the opposite...

I am also a big 372 fan. But I like both OE and X torq when they’re worked over.

I haven’t run the 576, but have a few 572s.

The 372 and 572 are completely different saws. It is hard to compare them even though the 572 is the replacement.

-For starters, the 572 feels heavier than a 372, I find it to balance the best with a 28” bar.
-The ergos are great.
-The best fuel/bar oil caps I have used.
-Easily the smoothest saw I’ve ever run.
-More power than a 372 stock for stock and ported vs ported from what I can tell.

I still reach for old saws, but the 572 is solid, and I’ll buy more as needed.
B03F6FA4-41AC-4332-A523-F0F2FF649411.jpeg 0D98E016-A9E1-4109-80F0-D2E35A665922.jpeg

My fleet of saws is mostly STIHL , with a Husqvarna 395xp (legendary saw) and a 572xp. I run a 24” bar on the 572xp and am really fond of the ergonomics of that particular saw , very smooth and well balanced ... Husqvarna did an excellent job with that unit. It responds well to a righteous muffler mod and when flow-enhanced it gives ya boatloads of torque ... Here’s a sibling rivalry vid.. ... ... after some flow enhancements it’s about 8% slower than the ported 395xp in that size wood but uses considerably less fuel ... 395xp wears a 32” and rides the pine until I encounter wood that size ... I can get considerably more power from the 572xp if desired

It’s sad watching the ash decline on such a massive scale. Really changing the look of the area, there’s tons of small wooded areas all over and they’re just packed with these bare dead trees. These were a big part of people’s residential landscape too. Never noticed how many there were until the dead ones became like 80%+ of the work. I used to think that more than half my workload was various species of maple. These days it’s a treat to get to climb a maple or oak.

Kinda neat how so many people are on board with burning it though. So many locals here swear it’s the best firewood on the planet, and I see no reason to try changing their minds :)
We have the best ash in town 😂! Ash is an excellent Firewood for sure ... Standing dead ash , felled and CSS will be well seasoned in 6months and produce beautiful long lasting heat. The ash has very low-moisture content when compared to other hardwoods and,in a pinch, will burn green - not happening with red oak though , must be seasoned for 2yrs to get the straight goods

We have the best ash in town 😂! Ash is an excellent Firewood for sure ... Standing dead ash , felled and CSS will be well seasoned in 6months and produce beautiful long lasting heat. The ash has very low-moisture content when compared to other hardwoods and,in a pinch, will burn green - not happening with red oak though , must be seasoned for 2yrs to get the straight goods

Ash is great firewood. As for the old firewood poem...

“Ash that’s green is good for the Queen” or words to that effect!

I wouldn’t recommend it burning it green inside, but it will with a decent bed of coals.

Definitely burns green on an outside fire though.

The Firewood Poem
Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut’s only good they say,
If for logs ’tis laid away.

Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E’en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom

Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter’s cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

I've heard of people on the coast burning semi-green Sitka spruce.

Never made any sense to me.

How does the ash burn in various states of dryness?

I've heard of people on the coast burning semi-green Sitka spruce.

Never made any sense to me.

How does the ash burn in various states of dryness?
I took a nice slab of ash(5x5)from the previous pics (ash logs) , split it in half , and measured the moisture content at 24-28% ... had a bed of coals and threw it on ... It burned and threw heat but nowhere near the heat produced when seasoned to 15-18% measured in the same fashion ... The seasoned wood will light very easily with small kindling and a few wads of paper , the unseasoned most likely wood be a pita to ignite without a coal base - really not worth unless survival situation and if that were the case , split into small 1-2” pieces. In NY the wood needs to be 20% moisture or less if for sale

Last edited:
That’s a neat machine ... What do those cost new/used and how much can she

Some cedars I topped a few years ago, client had enough and we took them out. Apart from the rain, hail and lightning It went rather well.

What’s the hp and capacity of that version multione ?

Crazy Deodoras Mick. I burn that stuff now and then. Dries fast.

UK Rich: Awesome poem... I once read a book by a well-known American journalist ((forgot his name:|:) who is credited with creating the genre of “creative nonfiction,” who spent a bit of time in the woods, and came away with the overall assessment that Ash is the firewood of kings. I am thinking that there is no way that he cannot have been influenced by the poem that you shared with us. Thanks.

Back