The Official Work Pictures Thread

Get ready to SNEEZE! Sycamore causing sneezing more than any species I know of. Heavy/dense wood. Slick when dry...dangerously so when wet.

It hinges ok actually. Yesterday was a bit breezy so nothing wanted to follow. Just don’t ask to much if you’re trying to swing limbs. Time of year makes a difference in that too. Trunk wood hinges fine. Like everything, don’t take my word as gospel. Same species in a different environment can act completely opposite.

Chipping can suck. We always try to set up with the chipper down wind. Not always possible but makes a huge difference.

Chipping can suck. We always try to set up with the chipper down wind. Not always possible but makes a huge difference.

Ha, that's what I call attention to detail!! 8) Between trying to chip downhill and also minding the wind, there's plenty to keep track of!

I have done quite a few big mingers of them. Or as they are called in the UK London Plane trees.

Seed balls enough to stop chippers, have itchy eyes for days and blocked sinuses. The HSE in the UK stopped us working on them during the summer months. The leaves also have a caustic fibre on the underside. Get them after the first rains after the leaves have matured. The rain seems to wash the fibres off.

The wood is heavy but I have alway found it to hinge pretty well.

I did this one about 8 years ago in London. Epic job as it was one of the most prominent trees in the area.

398319_10150638839276696_1511184525_n.jpg 522323_10150636780496696_1445347957_n.jpg 540115_10150642237171696_770517450_n.jpg 562039_10150636783181696_1023302668_n.jpg 562768_10150638987236696_631868614_n.jpg dave.jpg dave1.jpg

Last edited:
Not necessarily the same tree. London Plane is Platanus Orientalis x Platanus occidentalis. Whereas, I believe the American Syc is Platanus Occidentalis.

The hybrid bastardised offspring seemed to retain the annoying characteristics of its parents though. They could have at least tried to breed the itchiness outta them! ;)

Even the emoticon has something in his eye just from us talking about them.

Honestly i answered a phone call, went a bit further, then rigged it, cut, and swung huge pieces directly into a dumpster. Very early in my progression, and honestly it was more than i was ready for. I climbed a bunch, rented a lift, then climbed the rest because the lift couldn't reach. Brought the trunk down vertical speedline, car sized pieces. I'm not doing too hot right now, but I'll find some pics.

Burnham: Yeah, tell me about it! Glory to God fer the rain clearing all the smoke outta here. Today (Sunday) might be one of the most beautiful pieces of weather that any human has experienced since Adam and Eve were given the boot. I literally feel like I'm in paradise at the moment.

Corey: What in the world is a Harmonic Dampener supposed to be. Wow... sorry for all of yer recent mechanical troubles. I look on it (the mechanical stuff) as just this periodic blight which is just bound to happen... hurts to the fiercest degree (except, perhaps, getting robbed) and somehow seems to take such a giant negative toll on a guy's overall existence. Sometimes I'll get home, and my wife's like: "What's wrong?"... and I'm like, "Chipper broke down."... and she's like, "Dude, you look like somebody died or somethin." and I'm like, "Somebody DID!"

Dude you gotta get some pics up of that Sycamore pig coming up. Who's the ninja? Why doesn't Patric work for you? Any idea on Maynerd's whereabouts? Poor bloke.

Patric: Dude, yer killin some PIGS these days. Really nice pics man. Thanks.

Ohio, and UK Rich: Do you guys ever weird out on how much you guys have in common? I mean... seriously... you guys have both slain some gigantor Sycamore pigs. We don't get to kill them too often, but when we do, we all just pray that it's in the winter. I too (Ohio Rich) have found the wood to be oddly fickle, but I shan't degenerate to story-telling here. But it is as if the strength of the holding wood IS really highly variable, isn't it? I don't miss them pigs to be honest.

Corey: 110 foot Sugar? Wow. We might actually hafta get some pics up of that pig. I don't wanna hafta unfriend you. :O:lol:

car sized pieces.
8):drink:

I look on it (the mechanical stuff) as just this periodic blight which is just bound to happen... hurts to the fiercest degree (except, perhaps, getting robbed) and somehow seems to take such a giant negative toll on a guy's overall existence.

You got that right, Jedidiah. We were doing less than 1/2 the work per day we normally do, getting done at 11 and 12 noon most days, and it was just exhausting. Got the truck back and next day did 2 days worth in 8 hours:boogie:

Patric and I are about 45 min apart, he's got a good thing going and I'm trying.

The Ninja is my former climber who moved to SC to be with his GF. He comes back this way once in awhile and we usually try to knock out some big work.

the following is my attempt at posting a pic of ninja up in the monster maple to be soon taken out with an 85t, he was cutting it back in this pic

Last edited:
wow just wow. CRAZY pig. You guys are nuts.

Man, Kyle: Forgot to telly ya that that was a Sycamore PIG that you killed... wow. Man... that was a stinkin big tree. Cool pic as all get out.

@cory, thanks for the shoutout.
That's a big maple. I count 5 stems growing from the ivy covered trunk. Looks like it was topped and left alone to grow like a candle holder.

Platanus × acerifolia, the London plane, London planetree, or hybrid plane, is a tree in the genus Platanus. It is often known by the synonym Platanus × hispanica. It is usually thought to be a hybrid of Platanus orientalis and Platanus occidentalis. Some authorities think that it may be a cultivar of P. orientalis.

Platanus occidentalis, also known as American sycamore, American planetree, western plane, occidental plane, buttonwood, and water beech, is a species of Platanus native to the eastern and central United States, the mountains of northeastern Mexico, extreme southern Ontario, and possibly extreme southern Quebec.

It’s one of my favorite trees and unlucky for me the hairs and dust never bothered me so the crew always laid it out and let me chip it.
The wood is beautiful when quarter sawn.

@cory cool tree!

Misty day working on a view. Would have been an absolutely miserable drag uphill, but stashed all the brush in some gullies. Sven did about 12 trees to my 4, I was mostly on the porch with binoculars calling out cuts. Probably 200 yards from house to trees, SENAs coming in handy yet again.

20200926_092446.jpg 20200926_154739.jpg

Back