The Official Work Pictures Thread

For me I would say 1/2 the time they get bigger, 1/4 time they get smaller, 1/4 they didn't change!

Its hilarious to me how that stuff changes in my head over the course of a single day sometimes- *Show up, it's smaller. *Start work, it starts to get bigger. *Later still, I'm like WTF was I thinking??? How am I going to get rid of all this wood at that price?? *80% of the way thru the day, hey go figure, this was priced down to the minute:|:

They can shrink imo if you've built them up rather large in your head over time

I often make a smart ass question to the customer asking why and how much fertilizer did they use after I bid the job? Often it’s a laughable thing. Can also put them at ease thinking that I underbid it and they’re getting a deal. I usually do a DBH on the bid just for the stump removal reference but get the tape out again and jokingly remeasure to mess with some people. This really works well since I usually have 4-6 months between the estimate and actually doing the job. It just adds to the fun of the job.

And yes Cory I’ve had them shrink as well. Some jobs I’ve looked at several times before bidding and then after the bid relooked at many times that I kept making worse in my head. When I finally do it, it’s gravy. Few and far between though.

As has been said, I’ve had them shrink and grow between bid and job.

Friday’s was a shrinker, re reducing a horse chestnut (buck-eye) that had lost its leaves in the interim, that often helps.

Good point re leaves.

Couple weeks ago I had to reduce a medium size maple that had been basically sheared into a ball several times by landscapers. It was an intense, thick mass of regrowth suckers. I bid it while leafed out and when I got there to do the work a couple months later every leaf had dropped. It was like a different tree and seemed to be a much smaller job than it looked previously

The leaves/no leaves thing never really bothered me much. Sometimes the weight of the leaves actually helped with the rigging. :drink:

For me and the leaves, not so much the bidding, as the ease in moving about and working the tree, pluses and minuses each way.
'kay, got some pictures downloaded.
Got to try the Akimbo to get a nasty split branch cut out of a big macrocarpa. I cut the two dangly bits off the end, then came about 10' back in to the trunk and cut off the long stub.
Undercut, bore cut, then release from top...it just went 'pop' and fell away nicely :)

Attachments

• 2583.jpg
    2583.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2581.jpg
    2581.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 2585.jpg
    2585.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 56
Yah in the fall it becomes very important on some trees to specify the level of cleanup. Specifically fallen leaves!

I've had to shake an ornamental apple tree to get max amount of fruit down and out on a simple trim. The two "men" of the house stood in their bathrobes on the back porch while I shook and let me know when they were happy. Ridiculous.

Back