The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks Sean, exactly how I pictured it.

3 trips uphill, no snow, yard and a half of mountain ash chips. I figured I'd have to beefup the nose when tipping, it bends a little.

20180810_093033.jpg

Gorilla Carts (a sale at Princess Auto.)
Definitely go for the polyurethane tire filling if you're going to use that in a professional arbor application. I popped a tire on some thorns just doing basic yard maintenance -- with a honey locust, it wouldn't stand a chance! (Our 1000 lb. hand truck is testimony of that!)

Eh!

Pete would adding some kind of heavy canvas around the discharge help with controlling the over spray of chips? Like a wind sock of sorts.

Peter, have you considered a mount for your cart on your chipper, somewhere. AT's will fit into a 2" hitch tube (no seam inside) and can be pinned-through, securely.

How are you using you truck bed? I see a bunch of tool boxes on the chipper. Do you run into larger chip loads much?

Eh!

Pete would adding some kind of heavy canvas around the discharge help with controlling the over spray of chips? Like a wind sock of sorts.

A guy put a piece of round ducting, or something on the discharge chute of his Vermeer BC625, for a downward discharge for some reason. Don't remember. I'd thought of doing that for shooting into wheelie bins on occasion. I have a round chute, so it Would be easy, if I ever tried. Might have been Jim454 on TB, way back when.

I have a gorilla cart, not "Gorilla" but the same cart, green from ebay. The price is very appealing but the quality not so much. This has definitively nothing to do with "pro grade".

It's very light gauge steel. You have to lay the logs carefully to avoid bending the thing. The sides are the worse and the hinges... I can't find the word to qualify that. The bearings are a joke. The span of the wheels is narrower than the frame, so the cart is prone to flip on a side slope or a bump on the ground. It doesn't need much with a high load.
There's an advantage though, it's easy to flip it whole for unloading near the chipper.
For the limbs, I take out the sides and put instead two U racks. With some care for the stacking, you can carry a good load with it (so much that you can barely pull it alone).
I have carried some tons with it, logs and limbs, as an occasional use, but it will never stand an hard use.

Sweet. But what all's going on there?:P
Ya'll gave me such a hard time about the 4 paragraphs, I was trying the opposite approach -- a picture is worth 1000 words. Pictures to invite questions...

#1). 2 large broken hackberry limbs, hanging down and into the koi pond. We climbed it to tie it off and secure it, cranked it up with the GRCS to relieve the tension while the climber cut them free, cranked them up a bit more to relieve the pressure on the tips. Then I put down the camera and started cutting it up, getting the brush out of the koi pond without ripping the liner. Then we slowly lowered it a few feet at a time while I cut it up into firewood lengths to leave the wood. Then finally able to lay them down and finish bucking it up.

#2). Large cottonwood over a duplex was getting new tenants. We've worked here before; property owner wanted the cottonwood over the driveway deadwooded before new cars and tenants and children showed up to move in. Climbed and deadwooded just before a large storm rolled in and the sky let loose. Got a little damp finishing raking up. We were working out of the stump grinding pickup, stacking all the dead cottonwood limbs in the back of the truck.

Hopefully the chipper truck is back in action by Monday!

A guy put a piece of round ducting, or something on the discharge chute of his Vermeer BC625, for a downward discharge for some reason. Don't remember. I'd thought of doing that for shooting into wheelie bins on occasion. I have a round chute, so it Would be easy, if I ever tried. Might have been Jim454 on TB, way back when.

Something. Just a little redirecting of debris, every minute helps with clean up.

I have a gorilla cart... It's very light gauge steel. You have to lay the logs carefully to avoid bending the thing. The sides are the worse and the hinges... I can't find the word to qualify that. The bearings are a joke. The span of the wheels is narrower than the frame, so the cart is prone to flip on a side slope or a bump on the ground. It doesn't need much with a high load.
Peter, just to follow up -- I have to agree with Marc on this one (of course, I generally do!). I remember now why the Gorilla Cart became parked & disused. Same scenario he mentions -- wheel base is too narrow, makes it tippy in turns. Light gauge steel bends easily, esp. on the flip down sides. And we had one bearing bend on it -- at far less than a 900lb. load. We've had much better success with the Ground Work dump wagon (already has built-in stake side slots). It claims a 1400lb. capacity and I nearly believe it -- I've had it loaded with the stake sides we made, mounded over with dirt, mounded with concrete, loaded with flagstones... bearings are still good and it takes all the abuse the children throw at it (riding it down dirt mounds or down the alley, through pot holes). Also, the lack of axles is a good thing -- high ground clearance and can straddle some terrain. It's a deal at $99 (plus a 10% Tractor Supply coupon)!

dump-wagon.jpg

42" Grand fir, growing on terraced slope at a lake house. Speedlined a lot today over the deck and metal fence, to the uphill chipping area, right next to the chipper, on the plywooded drain field. Used a high ground anchor point to fit the landing zone (Good tip, August!).
Referred by the neighbors, who we did some nice work for. Recommended me because I make sure to cover the details, make sure we have a safe plan, do what I say we will, don't do what I say we won't.

This Grand fir job was also some other work, right on top of the neighbor's outdoor summer bedroom, hot tub, exposed conduits, fence, and boat.

Neighbor's house, pulling away after about 3-3.5 hours climbing.
IMG_20180813_154700594_HDR.jpg

View from half-way up or so. Squeezed chipper in through the upper gate opening with 0.5" on the tight side, .75" on the wider side, for real. They need the much below for their big cedars. First 2.5' stone retaining wall just showing at the bottom, just uphill of removal tree. The lawn slopes harder at the lower end of the yard, then terraces that were covered in ivy.
Believe it or not, the guy with mini-x thrashed the cedars' buttress roots with the bucket to get ivy out, and broke the guys drain field line putting in the metal fence.
IMG_20180813_140924154.jpg

IMG_20180813_140915449.jpg

Three tops, and some chunking and bucking tomorrow. High of 95, shorter day. Play it safe.

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_140926449.jpg
    IMG_20180813_140926449.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 30
Back