The Official Work Pictures Thread

thats a work horse right there.

Whats up with that unusual looking boom?

I'm guessing it is a sliding extension boom? I see a big hydraulic cylinder sticking out the end of the bottom boom and attached to the top boom.

Edit: No, that's a pivot on the lower boom. The top boom pivots up and down and probably has a squirt extension inside it.

Edit: No, that's a pivot on the lower boom. The top boom pivots up and down and probably has a squirt extension inside it.
You guessed her, Chester. :)

We like her a lot; well worth the trip to Oregon to get it. It was actually used by a landscape installer previously, so he would mostly use it to carry and set rocks & boulders. He told us how the city in Oregon was replacing old sidewalks, so they had crews of guys out there with jackhammers busting them up into chunks, scooping up with a Bobcat, and loading it into a dump truck. Progress was slow, so they hired him on to give them a boost. The truck has auxiliary hydraulics and a rock saw, so he would make one slit on the sidewalk every 20' or so, then grab the whole slab of concrete with the grapple and rip it up out of the ground and load it onto his truck. Imagine the look on those city workers' faces!

The only things we want to do with it are take off the side rails and put a true stake side log cradle on it. Also, the grapple can't pivot 360 degrees, only like an owl currently -- 180 in either direction. We want it to go full circle, so we'll upgrade the pivot soon. We've welded sling hooks on the side of the grapple, so we can crane things out with slings instead of trusting the grapple's grab with a max. load while extended.

I'm curious, with a truck like that, why did you even bother chipping? Isn't it faster to just shove it in the truck? Assuming you have the sides to contain it of course.... I would imagine that would be faster than feeding all but the largest of chippers.

We are keeping quite a large pile of good hardwood logs for milling (we have a Timber King sawmill) or firewood (we have a 37-ton log splitter), as well as a separate pile of black walnut (a prize). Most of it is logistics. With our service area being 50 miles, fuel economy and stretching the crew across 2-3 trucks can make it economically unfeasible. That and if it's undesirable wood (Siberian elm or Ash), we would rather chip & dump ($10 or $20 per load, depending on where we dump, or free if we bring it home and put it in our Free Mulch pile). Dumping logs as the organic wood recycler is $90 a load, plus unloading time. Often we are rolling out 2-3 jobs per day, so we don't want to roll with logs from a large removal to another lighter pruning job in a small residential neighborhood.

Geez, SMH, you and your Davey days:P

Yeah... no kiddn eh?

RE the 1990: Yeah, no, it is... it's just... man, we work in the piss-down rain all the time, and that chute likes to clog like nobody's business. But yeah... having said that, yeah... that thing on new blades is freakin nuts.

Look at you, still playing in the white stuff

Don't even get me started about the god damn white stuff! :X
Shits jacking my schedule pretty hard.
It left and was looking promising but now it's back, mud season all over again. Eric EMR is balls deep in it, literally.

11C50098-06ED-46E7-9CC8-09CC10FBC0D4.jpg
Double dead spruce. One of them long named diseases killed it and then the beetles moved in and made sure. I started to get a weird wobble around 40? and tossed 30? top. There was room to fell it whole but we were trying to reduce the amount of dog shit we would step in. Luckily I had room to put the top between the tree and chipper.

Jed, my ass... I've never cut a conventional stump that pretty in my entire life. Nice one Stephen. I mean it. That's one pretty pine stump. Always love yer posts.

Thanks buddy. Just keeping it low for the home owner. She was thinking about stump grinding, and it saves me a cut. Good escape route too, so no worries.

Nice.

Are you still using that giant vermeer chipper?

Not for a while Cory. We get the 255xp most of the time. The crew and I prefer it except when we have a lot of quick floppers. The 2100 is nice but it’s so dang big and heavy that it’s hard to get in a lot of places. Plus the bandit has a winch and Jimmy has mastered that thing. He knows where to place cuts and how to manipulate things like a champ.

Back