The Official Work Pictures Thread

Oh him... that was the homeowner. A city bigwig who wanted to get his hands dirty.

Fair play to him though he got stuck in and shifted most of the mess on his land from the first day.

Painful to watch though as he blunts the first shite Chinese saw, then pick up another shite Chinese saw, then a third. Today there was a deliver with another shitty, cheap Chinese saw.

I almost said to him he could have bought a have decent Stihl saw and a load of chains and files for the same price.

I have heard of people ditching a chain for a new one when they deck it but not a whole new saw.. lol

That's hilarious Rich

I'm surprised he didn't inquire about what saws your using and the model and where can i buy one etc etc lol 😂😂

Right on Erik👊 my name is Samuel...nice to have met you sir

(Levi kinda gave it away but I also think everyone could tell you just didn't seem like a rico!) sauve no doubt but rico...😁

Man, I'm an attention-hungry little twerp, hey? Teach me to pull that little stunt again... ya'll's makin me blush!

Gary: No. Just fiber-pull outa the stump, from the top down, rather than root-pull like Stig probably sees a lot more of than we do.

BTW, Stig... lol at the 2 Danes Bit.

Corey: Yeeeaaahhhh.... Those types of guys are really somethin eh? Could swap stories with ya, but mine's a little boring. Dare say all these gents could swap stores. Yeah... some people are just...

ERIC!! What's UP, my good fellow?!! What I always marvel at regarding your stumps is how crazy dead-level yer back-cut is with yer face. If anything, your far- corner is just a prudent hair higher than your near. (Don't let my Geekery drive you away from the House, i BEG you!) We Arbs NEED you brother, and I'm not kiddn ya!... Yeah... The thing that always stumps me, is how knackered my brothers' chains always are here at Davey. Yeah... Don't even get me started on the gear-obsession stuff... my brothers can't even stand to bang wedges... They'd rather climb up 900' to hang a rope that'll hold 9 million pounds to pull a little dog-hair Fir over with a 9 billion to 1 pulley system. Just blows me away. They're young gentlemen... granted. One wants to encourage them ya know... but what are ya gonna say?

U.S. Rich: Thanks a ton, man. I was thinking about you when I got into that Ash... I was thinkin, "Man... I bet Rich does a ton of these." (OHHH! Props on the "kick-stand" concept... who woulda thunk!!)

U.K. Rich: HUGE pines, mate. Beautiful hinges... just beautiful pics... One wants to lick the sap off the stump even if it's bitter like a son-of-a-gun. I wanna be the first guy to brew beer using Pine or Fir sap as an adjunct. (In lieu of too much hops, ya know?)

Brian: Yeah... I couldn't get the dang stuff off the side without a ton of monkeying around because of a keeper Maple that was right underneath it. Sucked. Super good Idea though... Pretty sure Beranek's used it a good coupla times.

Ray: Thanks tons... as a brother in Christ... ahh forget it... I'll just get all emotional. Scott: You too.

Man, I'm a bit of a pen-pall aren't I? My wife and daughters went in to town to go to Costco.

And so, here's my boring pic of a Laminated Root Rot Fir stump I fell today on our last job for the day. Really solid heart wood. Tolerably solid sapwood to wedge off of. I got about ten more of these coming up on the same property. Tall, stringy little buggers. Kinda fun to fall, really.

unnamed-1424.jpg

Dead-wooded a good size Fir this morning. Around 210-215 foot (first limb around 130-140 ft), and a solid 6.5-7 foot a the butt ( 25 ft flipiline was just enough). Its been a while since I climbed a tree I wasn't wrecking(sorry no stump selfie). Fun climb and a beautiful tree! DSC_0568.jpg DSC_0582.jpg DSC_0587.jpg DSC_0590.jpg DSC_0589.jpg DSC_0607.jpg DSC_0636.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0591.jpg
    DSC_0591.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 57
Nice photos, some kind of grafting situation there? Hard for me to tell what's going on with that branch.

Why spurs for 130' if you had a line in, Eric? Have you looked at rope-walker set-ups?

Wraptors are fantastic for big trees, and worth the money.

I pulled mine out today, for the first time in over two months (storm work and clean-up already had trees down for weeks), so I felt fancy getting to climb two trees. Had a good 75' shot (just enough to not have to extend my wraptor rope), warmed it up, and was ready to go...the pull cord broke!

It might be gear intensive, but my shoulder hurts now (got to go do PT). Wish it hadn't broken.

NO sweat all the way up to the TIP, and it doesn't GAF about carrying up loads of gear/ big saws...350 pound weight limit IIRC.

Whutta tree!

How long did it take in the tree start to finish? Thanks

Call me a freak, but I love flipping up big trees, and 99.9% of my jobs are removals. With my false crotch set at 190 ft, it took me 5-10 minutes to spur up 190 ft, drop my basal anchor (don't like working off them) and get a proper tie-in (retrievable). Trust me when I say that spurs were not gonna bother the bark on this tree. I would love a wraptor, but its not in the cards for me right now. Cory, the tree took under 2 hours.

New ones are closer to $3000. At $100 per billable hour, let's say, that pays for itself over 300 hours saved. That's not 300 hours of climbing time saved, rather job time. If you haven't broken a sweat in the first 130'+, and saved all your energy, the top of the tree goes much faster. No wear and tear on your body. Manufacturer states its for access only, but removals can go faster, if you're already going to pre-install a climb line from the ground, and just keep pulling the trigger on the Wraptor, and the trigger on the saw. $.02.

Any knee or hip problems? Seems those can cut guys' careers short. Just heard that story today.

Glad you're just able to crank snot out, as you do. Keep pics coming.

Different strokes, and different markets...

Wonder if Paul/ PCTree is still running a demo wraptor unit.

I have used a Wraptor quite a bit. No doubt a great too! If I was younger and wrecking 4-6 big trees a day I would own one, but I can't work like that anymore. I'm in my mid 50's and am blessed to still be able to get around pretty good. When I really start to slow down I figure I will treat myself to one, so I can continue to do what I love!

Wraptors keep you climbing longer, and are useful if you're injured. I have had water on the knee, but needed to go up a tree. Wish I had a Wraptor that day. Had my employee set up a pulley while I was at the doctor. Sprained knuckle, elbow/ wrist tendonitis, can keep your from flip lining.

A rope walker system is cheap and ergonomic.

If you have the work to do, its a tool to get more wood on the ground.

Just a thought. You know your situation best. Stephen/ Cursedvoyce is a fan, and in your age range. Roger Barnett is 60+, working PNW size trees.I bought mine to be able to work into my 50's, maybe 60's.

Big ass tree. Was it someone's yard that it needed deadwooding?

Back